Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.28.X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets be honest, when the wipers dry wipe, it’s not because the “screen is a bit dirty”, it’s because the design is fundamentally flawed. I’ve had auto wipers on cars since the early 2000’s and they worked perfectly, dirty screen or not. Using a camera to guess if it’s raining just doesn’t work. I shouldn’t have to keep wasting washer fluid to try and get the blasted things to stop wiping away flickering sunlight at double wiper speed. It’s the one feature of the car I’m truly disappointed by. The rest of the tech is superb, the dogmatic approach to vision based rain detection has not worked at all in the 18 months we’ve owned the car.
See, this is what puzzles me, the rose tinted glasses many people have in respect of auto wipers on other cars. Yes, the Tesla occasionally dry wipes, where a quick squirt of the washers sorts it for me. On my previous BMW with auto wipers I was constantly adjusting the auto-wiper setting to get it to wipe at an appropriate rate, as it would wipe too slow during drizzle and too fast during proper rain. With the Tesla, I find the wiping rates are just about where I’d like them (fortunately, as there’s no fine tuning!).

Maybe I’m just lucky with the Tesla and was unlucky with the BMW. Or maybe I’ve lost my rose tinted glasses. 🤷‍♂️

See, this is what puzzles me, the rose tinted glasses many people have in respect of auto wipers on other cars. Yes, the Tesla occasionally dry wipes, where a quick squirt of the washers sorts it for me. On my previous BMW with auto wipers I was constantly adjusting the auto-wiper setting to get it to wipe at an appropriate rate, as it would wipe too slow during drizzle and too fast during proper rain. With the Tesla, I find the wiping rates are just about where I’d like them (fortunately, as there’s no fine tuning!).

Maybe I’m just lucky with the Tesla and was unlucky with the BMW. Or maybe I’ve lost my rose tinted glasses. 🤷‍♂️
I had/have exactly the same experience and also with a BMW. The Tesla struggles with very light drizzle, but so did even other car I've owned.
Newbies should note that different cars behave differently and just because this forum is full of people complaining about issue X, that doesn't mean your car will have the same problem. The alarm going off when opening the door being the most recent in my case.

8 years of faultless auto-wiper operation in my 330d, never touched the sensitivity control after the original setup. But isn't the real point that I got the option to choose the level of sensitivity, rather than have some mothership-imposed mode of operation now made 10x worse by tying it to a previously unrelated car function?

Last edited:
8 years of faultless auto-wiper operation in my 330d, never touched the sensitivity control after the original setup. But isn't the real point that I got the option to choose the level of sensitivity, rather than have some mothership-imposed mode of operation now made 10x worse by tying it to a previously unrelated car function?
Bearing in mind Tesla is all about software, it would be good of them to offer some user settings. However, I don’t think this is their priority. It’s all about automating so there’s no user input. This is Musk’s mantra, after all.

Reactions: pow216
the thing for me with the wipers that I either had the ability to switch quickly from auto to manual (and the speed of the intermittency) right by my hand, or with my later cars, I could also adjust the sensitivity of the automatic wipers so I can adjust for my personal preference

Tesla is hard to switch from auto to manual without looking away from the road, have no way to adjust the intermittent wiper speed, nor the sensitivity of the auto speed. They know best and if that doesn’t align with your preference, tough.

confusion for me is mainly light rain. It can often completely fill the windscreen making it really hard to see and the wipers do nothing. So I’m manually wiping with the little button - and for all I know that‘s reinforcing the sensor going ‘yep, I can see just fine thanks no need to wipe’

Reactions: Burley
Installed on my M3 on Friday morning. Tesla coming on Tuesday to replace the LV battery and see if we can get the car running again.

As updates go, it's not been my smoothest :eek:

As far as I can tell the update completed, then I got an alert saying the car was powering down due to a problem with the Low Voltage battery and it's been dead ever since. I'm thought the HV system is supposed to take over in the event of the LV battery getting low, but for some reason that hasn't happened.

Ugh.

I’ve got sonic! My HBA and auto wipers are as much use as indicators on a space ship - but I can play my childhood game!
Turns out there is definitely an update to HBA. Instead of it being more wrong than right, tonight it was more right than wrong. It was almost like having my old Audi back - but didn’t put £180 of fuel in 😂😂

One episode of what I thought was phantom braking but it had picked up a cyclist on a fast, unlit country road, in black with no lights (it was pitch black outside at about 2100hrs). The ambulance in front must have missed him (or her) by cm. I didn’t see them until the car anchored on hard and pulled right away from them. If it can “see” things like that, it’s mind boggling how HBA isn’t much better. Probably saved a life / serious injury tonight though.

I've had 28.2 over night from 28.1 AHB has gone mad on 28.1 for me was almost perfect the odd mistake but pretty much like every other car I've ever owned. This morning doing the same drive to the gym I always do the car has tried to have the high beams on all the time. Well lit street high beam, cars coming towards me high beam going round a major well lit roundabout high beams trying to come on. Most of the drive was me driving the short motorway stretch on EAP wasn't too bad I suspect because the motorway had plenty of traffic.
Not the end of the world to turn off with the stalk however it's a huge step backwards from 28.1

Reactions: MashinBenzin
I've had 28.2 over night from 28.1 AHB has gone mad on 28.1 for me was almost perfect the odd mistake but pretty much like every other car I've ever owned. This morning doing the same drive to the gym I always do the car has tried to have the high beams on all the time. Well lit street high beam, cars coming towards me high beam going round a major well lit roundabout high beams trying to come on. Most of the drive was me driving the short motorway stretch on EAP wasn't too bad I suspect because the motorway had plenty of traffic.
Not the end of the world to turn off with the stalk however it's a huge step backwards from 28.1
Did you perform two button reset? In general a reset would ensure a clean slate while reporting bugs. (Clean camera would also help)

the thing for me with the wipers that I either had the ability to switch quickly from auto to manual (and the speed of the intermittency) right by my hand, or with my later cars, I could also adjust the sensitivity of the automatic wipers so I can adjust for my personal preference

Tesla is hard to switch from auto to manual without looking away from the road, have no way to adjust the intermittent wiper speed, nor the sensitivity of the auto speed. They know best and if that doesn’t align with your preference, tough.

confusion for me is mainly light rain. It can often completely fill the windscreen making it really hard to see and the wipers do nothing. So I’m manually wiping with the little button - and for all I know that‘s reinforcing the sensor going ‘yep, I can see just fine thanks no need to wipe’
S3xy buttons and voice commands are other ways to reduce the speed. You can momentarily enable AP and change the setting too. It's a downside due to the lack of physical buttons.

What car have you got out of interest?

Updating to 28.2 as we speak, sounds like it's not much of an improvement over 28.1?

I drove home around 11pm the other evening on 28.1 and the AHB was going crazy. It kept flicking on when driving around (no AP/EAP features enabled) the city centre where there were ample street lighting and I kept having to disable it because it was dazzling the late night revellers walking in my direction on the pavement. It did disable itself when it saw the odd coming car, but I felt it shouldn't be on to begin with under the circumstances, i.e. city centre and not country lanes/motorways.

Earlier in this thread I also noted that I had to have the app running in the background to unlock the car. It appears the Tesla iOS app updates, of which there were two back to back (4.13 and 4.13.1), over the weekend solved this issue. I can now unlock the car without the need for the app to be running in the background. N.B. I am well aware that app and battery management on smartphones are good enough these days that I shouldn't shut it down, but it's just out of habit.

Last edited:
Reactions: MashinBenzin
Updating to 28.2 as we speak, sounds like it's not much of an improvement over 28.1?

I drove home around 11pm the other evening on 28.1 and the AHB was going crazy. It kept flicking on when driving around (no AP/EAP features enabled) the city centre where there were ample street lighting and I kept having to disable it because it was dazzling the late night revellers walking in my direction on the pavement. It did disable itself when it saw the odd coming car, but I felt it shouldn't be on to begin with under the circumstances, i.e. city centre and not country lanes/motorways.

Earlier in this thread I also noted that I had to have the app running in the background to unlock the car. It appears the Tesla iOS app updates, of which there were two back to back (4.13 and 4.13.1), over the weekend solved this issue. I can now unlock the car without the need for the app to be running in the background. N.B. I am well aware that app and battery management on smartphones are good enough these days that I shouldn't shut it down, but it's just out of habit.
AHB doesn't have any regard for street lighting, its not gone 'crazy', it just doesn't consider it. Push the left stalk to force dipped, easy.