Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.28.X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The alternative routes are available if they are deemed viable alternatives. Quite what metrics are used to be deemed viable are unknown.

For anyone with this update, who is uncertain about whether this feature is available for them, I'd suggest navigating to a further away destination that can be accessed via different main roads in a similar amount of time/distance.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I've tried it and it works.

Not sure what they're going off, perhaps it being absent from the popup?

Clearly softwares update news drives a lot of traffic because no one seems to want to wait for verification or evidence.
Can you share a photo as the moderators of the Facebook group haven't got it working either so it will be good to share with them

Not the best example but here you go:

20220914_132640.jpg

I wonder how alternate routes works alongside rerouting due to traffic, logically the rerouting should always update you to the fastest route. If you pick a less optimised route for some reason does it then just stick to that come what may? I'm not sure I can see how the logic is going to work.

Just checked a similar length route and nothing, I've spoken with 3 people from the UK who also said they don't have this.

It must be a switch on Teslas side like the regenertive braking stuff that was mentioned.
A better example was something about 30 miles away across a couple of A roads, that's where I see most options but that shows where I am.

I've seen on the latest Google Maps update on my phone that they now have a specific 'EV' routing option (saves energy by: fewer hills/less traffic/constant speed).
Does anybody know if the alternate route feature onboard will leverage this?

Reactions: Cloggie
alternate routes is probably on the top of my "why can't it just do this" list. Having bought a Leaf back in 2015 with its fastest/shortest/eco route options it very quickly became apparent that the fastest route is often the worst route, and quite often only saved a few minutes. When my Tesla couldn't even manage waypoints (until this year) and having no "avoid motorways" option it became such a chore to try and get the car to navigate a route that wasn't 40 miles further along a motorway rather than taking some enjoyable back roads at the expense of 5 minutes. I am soooooooo looking forward to this update, I just hope it's not going to give me 3 different routes up alternate motorways :)

I do scratch my head sometimes. Route a) to destination, but route a.1) to return home.
not overly significant but intriguing and not really avoiding anything.
Unless of course it was to avoid the car further embarrassment at voice direction disagreeing with the mapped route at roundabouts… 😂
perhaps it’s a directive from the mother ship. Use all possible routes!