Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i might get a bit of hate for this post, but is anyone concerned by the build quality we will have for those models built in the middle of the Shanghai lockdown?
The factory stop&go, parts shortages, closures for days with half-built cars on the line, low morale of workers stuck in a closed-loop system for over a month without seeing their families, and now surely pressured to ship as fast as possible to try and make up for Q2…

Tesla’s reputation hasn’t exactly been built on stellar quality control, so, sorry for saying it out loud, but isn’t anybody concerned that the next shipments will include some absolutely terrible MIC cars that were built between April and now? (Maybe even some dangerous ones??)

After all the wait and postponements, getting a car that will act out or will be unreliable in the short to medium term is a thought that definitely occurred to me…
Is there any QC checks done in the destination country upon vehicle arrival?
I can't lie - I too have this concern - but I also have to trust a little in their process. The MIC cars are still streets above the MIA cars (and my last M3P was Freemont built). We should be ok - as long as Tesla is upfront with any missing pieces!

i might get a bit of hate for this post, but is anyone concerned by the build quality we will have for those models built in the middle of the Shanghai lockdown?
The factory stop&go, parts shortages, closures for days with half-built cars on the line, low morale of workers stuck in a closed-loop system for over a month without seeing their families, and now surely pressured to ship as fast as possible to try and make up for Q2…

Tesla’s reputation hasn’t exactly been built on stellar quality control, so, sorry for saying it out loud, but isn’t anybody concerned that the next shipments will include some absolutely terrible MIC cars that were built between April and now? (Maybe even some dangerous ones??)

After all the wait and postponements, getting a car that will act out or will be unreliable in the short to medium term is a thought that definitely occurred to me…
The thought had occurred to me too.

Reactions: ElsDee

No concerns what so ever if I'm honest.

Tesla are renound for putting things right on any new car should it come with faults.

Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: Toblerone
isn’t anybody concerned that the next shipments will include some absolutely terrible MIC cars that were built between April and now? (Maybe even some dangerous ones??)
Sure it’s a risk if you do even get a Q2 car. Not too much you can do about it though, apart from thoroughly checking it using a list such as this for the MY:

I wouldn’t worry to much about factors you can’t control. If you are that concerned postpone your delivery.

I’m not concerned

Not really concerned … for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it is a manufacturing process that by and large eliminates ‘Friday afternoon’ cars of yesteryear, i.e. typical of British Leyland etc. Secondly, there is an awful lot less that can go wrong compared with ICE cars … there isn’t much to go wrong - I heard there were 20 moving parts on a Tesla, not sure if this is true. If I have a concern, it is more to do with the parts bin … using up old, obsolete stock (lights specifically) or omitting bits for a later retrofit. Fingers crossed.

I have similar concerns and would liken my experience so far, similar to the one with Vodafone who continually told me my son had roaming in Switzerland although his phone said he did not. The Vodofone shop said he did on the system, thc call centre in India, Ireland and South Africa said he did, but did not understand why we would be charged £1,000,0000 to use the phone. I bought extra data as an insurance and have never gone back to Vodafone as the customer servce was zero, they had no idea what was going on, I just feel i am in a similar situation, but instead of a few £100's i am spending 60k, being tempted to go back to the traditional dealerships for an EV where i at least may have a little more confidence.

From Monday manufacturing should be back to“ normal”. To be honest I may just tell them that I’m happy to wait a bit longer. They screwed my plans already 😂

The thought has crossed my mind with regards to the impact of all this on the teams building the cars and how much care is taken by managers for their welfare.

Based on past posts, it looks like most cars are heading into Europe so I am guessing we'll know by next month or so what the quality is like.

Not sure if anyone has seen this, interesting and hints a return to just under 2500 a day starting next week hopefully.

Reactions: guicane and delta0
I'm not concerned. I'd be more concerned about getting the first batch of any new model or build change. I'd be more concerned about getting a MIG car due to the fact the workers have no experience of that particular line. It doesn't just stop with the assembly, but more so the production managers and QC.

MIC have had a large team of very efficient, very competent workers with a lot of experience.

Reactions: ElectricPolice
I presume your original EDD was also May?

I suspect that when you configure your car, you get a placeholder date which is a bit hazy but based on the wait queue and the number of cars likely to be made with your configuration.

Then, at some point you get a more precise date based on more accurate manufacturing information but because of the Shanghai lockdown and reduced output, most of us have had this date removed, so we've reverted back to the original EDD until more confidence returns on cars manufactured and shipped.

My best advice would be to try and tune out from reading tea leaves and shipping movements. It's a fun game to begin with but it can quickly eat away at your sanity and good humour as hopes are raised and dashed multiple times a week.

Ultimately, Tesla will want to ensure you get your order as soon as possible. They don't gain anything by delaying it without good reason.

My best advice would be to try and tune out from reading tea leaves and shipping movements. It's a fun game to begin with but it can quickly eat away at your sanity and good humour as hopes are raised and dashed multiple times a week.

Ultimately, Tesla will want to ensure you get your order as soon as possible. They don't gain anything by delaying it without good reason.
Well said.

I suspect that when you configure your car, you get a placeholder date which is a bit hazy but based on the wait queue and the number of cars likely to be made with your configuration.

Then, at some point you get a more precise date based on more accurate manufacturing information but because of the Shanghai lockdown and reduced output, most of us have had this date removed, so we've reverted back to the original EDD until more confidence returns on cars manufactured and shipped.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Matt.

Reactions: MattM76

Great advise! I am an emotional wreck and been at this since April, others have been here for a lot longer. I thought, nah I won't get too involved but here I am... The ups and downs here makes the stock market volatility look tame 😁

Great advise! I am an emotional wreck and been at this since April, others have been here for a lot longer. I thought, nah I won't get too involved but here I am... The ups and downs here makes the stock market volatility look tame 😁
I would just tune out as much as possible. If your EDD says July, then realistically it'll be August although you may get a nice surprise with an earlier date. Refreshing the app/website 20 times a day won't do anything but fuel anxiety.

When I start feeling exasperated by the situation, I remember there are workers virtually locked in a factory 24/7 during one of the longest and harshest COVID lockdowns in Shanghai making the very cars we're so desperate for.

I'd love to get a text saying I can collect my car tomorrow as I'm so keen to ditch my diesel ICE and learn to live with an EV, but if I try and find peace with "some point this year" then anything else will be a bonus.

• Love
Reactions: JOL1 and Daedalus
I would just tune out as much as possible. If your EDD says July, then realistically it'll be August although you may get a nice surprise with an earlier date. Refreshing the app/website 20 times a day won't do anything but fuel anxiety.

When I start feeling exasperated by the situation, I remember there are workers virtually locked in a factory 24/7 during one of the longest and harshest COVID lockdowns in Shanghai making the very cars we're so desperate for.

I'd love to get a text saying I can collect my car tomorrow as I'm so keen to ditch my diesel ICE and learn to live with an EV, but if I try and find peace with "some point this year" then anything else will be a bonus.
Agreed. Ultimately everyone here will get their car at some point, we just have to wait for things to fall into place. The only people who really know what’s going on with absolute 100% certainty in the order process are Tesla themselves (not the advisors in the showrooms, but someone will).

EDD unchanged:

1652784365380.png