Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that not the purpose of street lights though? Street lights that, I might add, are pointing downwards, and have a warm colour temperature.

I would not be particularly amused if someone was blasting their ice cold main beam into my living room. 🤷‍♂️
Round here they have all been replaed by LEDs that have a distinctly cool colour temperature that sort of matches the cool one of Tesla headlights.

A few updates ago they introduced the setting to limit the blue light from the screen at night. When I tried it, I realised that it was pointless because most of the time I was looking forward into the area lit by the blue-heavy headlights.

Reactions: M1tch and Durzel
Whilst not a legal requirement because it isn't a MUST, the Highway Code stated you SHOULD use dipped headlights in built-up areas.

It is a legal requirement that you MUST NOT use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

If you cannot see potential hazards in time then you are driving too quickly.
Should use dipped beam is for the reason “to ensure you can be seen”… not for any other reason.

Someone sat in their lounge is not a road user.

By that logic we should all just drive around everywhere, more slowly, with dipped beams constantly.

“street lighting it not all equal - quite a few street lit areas I drive through are very poorly illuminated”

Overall, I prefer a system that makes me choose when I want less light, rather than one than makes me choose when I want to have more.

Whilst not a legal requirement because it isn't a MUST, the Highway Code stated you SHOULD use dipped headlights in built-up areas.

It is a legal requirement that you MUST NOT use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.

If you cannot see potential hazards in time then you are driving too quickly.
I'm guessing you might be involved in technical writing of some sort 😉

There's only so many hours in the day and there are game updates and hilarious lock sounds to code
I'm sure as older people we joke about this maybe not being important but they'll have data on it, it might well help families with kids to have those games while charging. Or even some adults of course.

Similar those lock sounds are maybe great marketing and as it generates videos and buzz around it even if it is somewhat silly. Plus the effort to do that has to be pretty low.

I'm sure as older people we joke about this maybe not being important but they'll have data on it, it might well help families with kids to have those games while charging. Or even some adults of course.

Similar those lock sounds are maybe great marketing and as it generates videos and buzz around it even if it is somewhat silly. Plus the effort to do that has to be pretty low.
Tbf, watching Netflix and Disney all together while the car is charging is nice.

To add my daughter and I play a game where we try and guess which noise the car will make when it locks. It’s fun with younger children of course

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Yes, that's pretty much the definition of sensible driving.

High beams are for out of town areas where you really can't see without them.

All great, but I think even people with young kids would mostly agree there are other aspects of software (eg wipers, speed limit recognition, matrix lights which we had to wait years for, etc) which ideally would be addressed ahead of some of these nice to have extras.
Yes, that's pretty much the definition of sensible driving.

High beams are for out of town areas where you really can't see without them.
I think it makes no sense to have a hard rule of 'in built up area or in an area with some street lighting = no high beam'. Street lighting can be inadequate or patchy.

If a driver can't see very well without high beam on, or could see better by using it, and won't dazzle another road user by doing so, then use it.

Teslas system lights up in brightly lit areas though, so it can't be left on, has to be switched on only where appropriate. Which takes away most of the 'auto' bit.

I'm sure working out the ambient light level from the camera can't be that hard.. they must be doing that for the auto headlights at all.

My stance is there is no harm is extra light from the car at night even in areas that are generally well lit, provided other road users aren’t being dazzled (either though a matrix system working well or by an attentive and considerate driving deciding to dip when necessary).

1710856158455.png

Instead of a system which automatically always goes to dipped beam below a certain speed or in certain areas, or even with a certain detected overall light level, I see the benefit in a system which maintains better visibility until either another road user is detected or I decide that main beam is not of benefit. Of course, it you drive into a really well lit area where there is clearly no benefit of main beam and there are going be other road users at every turn then of course the driver can choose to switch to fixed dipped beam.

But overall I think it’s better for the starting point to be more light and then remove it when not desirable, rather than the other way around. 🙂

She also applies to brake lights which I see still remain on when on hold and there is a car behind.

Not beyond the fart coding skills of someone to turn off brake lights when it detects a car stopped behind.

I have builders working on an extension at home. The lock sound got their attention and now they can't stop asking about the Tesla, will be taking them out for a drive later...

At 0:30 - 0:40 it seems to be switching off pixels for parked cars, which is pointless. There's no one in the cars so you're not gong to dazzle them.
Yeah, seems like it maybe switching off based on reflected light after initially shining high beam on parked cars.

For me though the second part of this clip below - when matrix has activated and there is more light with which to see potential hazards - is on the whole preferable to the first part when the pavement on the left is not well lit.

Without high beam:

IMG_6773.jpeg

With high beam:

IMG_6776.jpeg

I know which level of visibility I would like drivers to have if I had kids playing around near the pavement on the left.

Last edited: