Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK accessories for RHD Model 3 [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reportedly USB C on model 3 after Fremont recently reopened, it’ll be a few months before they appear in the wild I reckon. Whatever’s on the ship in bound at the moment is unlikely to have it as they’d have been made some weeks ago.
IIRC the cars on Grand Venus will have been manufactured since the factory re-opened. However whilst those EU bound cars are mid Atlantic, USA Q2 deliveries should be happening now, which will mean if USB-C is incorporated we should be hearing about it very soon.

Fremont only partially reopened on 11th May and fully reopened 18th May, and the Grand Venus didn't moor until 26th May.

I mean its possible if they produced nothing but EU cars but it seems unlikely they'd fill such a big ship with brand new car in just a few weeks of production that was ramping up. Equally its possible they were installing the USB C units before or during COVID, we won't know until we know :)

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over Gen 2 vs Gen 3. To be able to get 15W you would need to wire it to the rear 12v USB ports behind the armrest, which is not a trivial job. Same applies to the Jeda.

The front two USB ports don't provide a great deal of amps, so no wireless pad is going to magically produce 15W fast charging from them.

An alternative one might consider is wiring one of the front USB ports to something like this, which could then be wired to the two wireless pad ports. So long as you're not using the wireless pad every single time you get in the car (and therefore depleting the battery faster than it is charging), you would get the benefit of faster wireless charging without pulling trim off, as well as freeing up one of the car's own USB ports for something else.

Thanks Durzel. It's less the 15W issue (I have an iPhone which can't charge that fast in any event), but more this issue about the Gen 1 & 2 chargers catching against the console when lifted which some say has been solved in Gen 3. TBH given I haven't taken delivery of my M3 yet, it's very much a hypothetical problem which is likely smaller than is worth caring about.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
Thanks Durzel. It's less the 15W issue (I have an iPhone which can't charge that fast in any event), but more this issue about the Gen 1 & 2 chargers catching against the console when lifted which some say has been solved in Gen 3. TBH given I haven't taken delivery of my M3 yet, it's very much a hypothetical problem which is likely smaller than is worth caring about.

It annoyed me enough to spend the money on the Tesla unit :)

My Gen2:mad: charger was also shipped last week with "Belgium" listed as the route, but the tracking still indicates it just left Shenzen.

Expect a much longer wait, it is coming by train from China.... 12,000 miles. I'm annoyed, like you, it said the item was in stock in Europe (Belgium) when in fact it wasn't. 60 days so far and advised delivery on or before July 7th :-(

Fitted the Air Inlet Protection Covers today. Had watched a Rich Rebuilds video and also read a horror story where someone had spilt a bag of sweets in the car, they fell into the air inlets and ended up removing the battery in order to stop the rattling.

Apparently there's no protection from items falling down there, it goes straight to the top of the battery pack. With two kids that enjoy taking (and dropping) small items in the car I thought these would offer some protection.

Pics attached and purchase link below:

US $12.9 |LUCKEASY Car air inlet protection cover for Tesla Model 3 Effectively prevent falling from clogging|Caps, Rotors & Contacts| - AliExpress

20200608_120951.jpg

20200608_173342.jpg

20200608_173551.jpg

Fitted the Air Inlet Protection Covers today. Had watched a Rich Rebuilds video and also read a horror story where someone had spilt a bag of sweets in the car, they fell into the air inlets and ended up removing the battery in order to stop the rattling.

Apparently there's no protection from items falling down there, it goes straight to the top of the battery pack. With two kids that enjoy taking (and dropping) small items in the car I thought these would offer some protection.

US $12.9 |LUCKEASY Car air inlet protection cover for Tesla Model 3 Effectively prevent falling from clogging|Caps, Rotors & Contacts| - AliExpress

View attachment 549225

View attachment 549223

View attachment 549224
Interesting -- I wasn't even aware those vents were there. Will have a look at the rear of my 3 and may have yet another accessory to purchase!

View attachment 549225

View attachment 549223

View attachment 549224
I’ve just tried to order these, but after getting to the checkout it says the item isn’t available to order...