Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The company doing the groundwork for Edinburgh SC is called Grid 4 Electric Vehicles. Their website - g4eltd.co.uk - seems to be, ironically, under contruction. However, there might be a clue on https://uk.linkedin.com/in/g4eltd-grid-for-electric-vehicles-6a1a23168 for those wanting to take their Supercharger hunting to the next level . . .

https://g4eltd.co.uk/
G4E LTD - Filing history (free information from Companies House)
G4E Ltd was dormant in May. Unless they just started (back) up (and I doubt that), they must be trading as something else. Ought to update the website & LinkedIn otherwise a bit naughty o_O

https://g4eltd.co.uk/
G4E LTD - Filing history (free information from Companies House)
G4E Ltd was dormant in May. Unless they just started (back) up (and I doubt that), they must be trading as something else. Ought to update the website & LinkedIn otherwise a bit naughty o_O
Pulled from Aberdeen SC on supercharge.info .. November 1st :confused:
792A8C8A-DC00-4199-A1C1-127830618AE6.jpeg

Nottingham Service Centre - a photo just posted on the owner's FB group shows foundations for two V3 cabinets and at least six tombstone foundations (planning drawings had 6-8 indicative, subject to power supply). Tesla's construction contractors are busy bees!

If you're in the area and want to check it out it's right next to the pavement on Loughborough Road near Trent Bridge/opposite County Hall. For the time being only as part of an essential journey/outdoor exercise of course.

Nottingham Service Centre - a photo just posted on the owner's FB group shows foundations for two V3 cabinets and at least six tombstone foundations (planning drawings had 6-8 indicative, subject to power supply). Tesla's construction contractors are busy bees!

If you're in the area and want to check it out it's right next to the pavement on Loughborough Road near Trent Bridge/opposite County Hall. For the time being only as part of an essential journey/outdoor exercise of course.

Based on the photo the red pin shows the approximate location of the ground works:

Screenshot 2020-11-10 170106_2.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Masklin and CMc1
My service appointment has been moved as they need to order a part to fix the hvac that was broken whilst the windshield was replaced. Won't get there until Tuesday 17th now. Suspect the Newbridge SuC will be operational by then?
Ugh that sounds frustrating but these things happen I guess. I'd be surprised if the Newbridge chargers were fully commissioned in a week though! Based on progress at Aberdeen I reckon all foundations should be done and perhaps the power supply kit will be in place. If they are really quick the tombstones will be up but presumably Tesla then have to wait for the grid connection to be ready as the pause until full commissioning seems quite variable.

Reactions: Medved_77
This is wishful thinking, particularly in respect of the V3 being able to do more.

So the only way to go past 250kW on V3 is if the output module is actually capable of more than its stated rating. Possibly they could be upgraded to do so (though by past naming convention that would give you a "V4" at that point), but there's lots of other impediments. At 631A, Tesla are already pushing the CCS connector well beyond the ratings specified for a standard CCS connector (originally 200A, now 500A with active cooling); note that heating increases with the square of current. Also, the input side of the V3 becomes an issue: with V2, it was reasonably common to find the adjacent stall not in use so you could get the full 120kW/143kW - with V3, to go above 250kW you'd need 3 empty stalls adjacent, or a lot of empty stalls across a large interconnected site. Even with interconnects and batteries, the cabinet already can't quite manage 250kW on all four outputs simultaneously. For typical sites as currently installed in the UK (no batteries, often <480V AC, so about 600kW shared across 8 stalls for example), even 250kW only works if cars are just drawing it for a relatively small proportion of the time. Nowadays, it's rare to find supercharger sites completely empty.

IMO, on the current cars 250kW is currently a bit of a "party trick", rarely achieved in practice and not for very long when it is. So there's lots of headroom for improving the cars to get more consistent and longer duration >200kW charging before the 250kW capability of the V3 supercharger becomes a significant limitation.

All very good points, but if Tesla can squeeze a little more out and reach new peaks then they will, even if it is just for seconds. It is a party trick, but a trick they I think they will take further - how they will do it is a different matter. They have announced, and are taking orders for, three models (Plaid, CT and Roadster) that they have said will charge beyond 250kW, so I find it hard to believe they would be aggressively rolling out V3 chargers worldwide which cannot achieve what these cars can take. With sharing of some power between cabinets the chances of a site currently having cars all wanting 250kW simultaneously is vanishingly small as each car would have to be at the perfect point on the charge curve at exactly the same moment, which in turn would only be for a very brief period. The reality is that under normal use, even a full site has a mix of cars asking for 20-250kW so I don't think we would see much difference if amongst them were some that for less than a minute were trying to draw 300 or 350kW. The CCS plug might be close to its comfortable limit but is the Tesla connector?
I definitely don't have the technical knowledge of the site architecture you do, so it is great to read and digest your explanation; I just believe that Tesla have a track record of planning for the future well with Superchargers and also of pushing things beyond limits like 150kW DC over Type 2, and doing the same for the CCS plug or outputting beyond original cabinet specs is in line with that.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to install any supercharger stations around the Derby / Burton on Trent / Lichfield area. Is there a way to look at a list of proposed supercharger sites, my nearest one is about an hour from my house

Tesla don’t generally publicise where they are hoping to put sites, they get held to ransom by landowners or others that see an opportunity for some income.

There’s a Supercharger map here which includes some hopeful sites. Definitely don’t plan your life around a speculative pin though, some have been there for years.

Find Us | Tesla

A Supercharger about an hour away sounds perfect, you don’t need one on your doorstep as charging from home is much more convenient/cheap.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to install any supercharger stations around the Derby / Burton on Trent / Lichfield area. Is there a way to look at a list of proposed supercharger sites, my nearest one is about an hour from my house
Nothing that I'm aware of but Tamworth has been showing coming soon, which I assume would be the services at M42 J10, other than that, I could see Donnington services working well as a location.