Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a reminder, there is a Google Sheet where all this info is being tracked: Tracker CCS on Superchargers

@4EVar I updated it with the info you provided.

@Barry Baird I went to update Keele (listed as Stoke-on-Trent in the spreadsheet), but it said that the Southbound site was already done with 4 out of 4 converted? I updated Northbound in any case.
G'day mate! And thank you!

Reactions: Chuq
Well, in the beginning it was interesting to see the amount of coverage Tesla were achieving before the M3 deliveries (when it was looking like this could be a serious issue for M3 drivers), but it's now becoming clear that they are targeting 100% of sites within a short space of time.

There are still some interesting questions to be answered:
  1. Once they've covered all the sites with at least a few stalls, are they going to continue with the programme and revisit sites to reach 100% dual-mode stalls, or are they going to upgrade only when demand requires?
  2. Are new sites going to be built with 100% dual-mode?
  3. Are we going to start seeing the reverse situation with CS-only stalls (and Model S/X priority at the dual ones!). Probably a case of when rather than if on this one.
  4. Once the Model S/X CCS adapter is available, are they going to transition to CCS-only throughout?

Once the Model S/X CCS adapter is available, are they going to transition to CCS-only throughout?

I don't have a problem with that. I've used my CHAdeMO adaptor twice in three years ... I would wince at paying for CCS adaptor, but the fact it would let me charge anywhere (It WOULD let me charge, reliably, at any CCS site, right? :) ) would be good insurance. What happens when a Tesla Supercharger site goes down? So rare I haven't heard more than one or two such instances in the last couple of years, but such an event would cause so many cars to become stranded that "rapid charge nearby" would be handy

Ok...explanations needed. I happily plug in at Charnock Richard and Keele, every couple of weeks. There is one lead and it plugs into my Model S 2016, so free.

So how will I be affected positively by CCS? (whatever that is)
Sounds like an adaptor is needed (at my car end, logically). What then? Anything extra/useful?
Thanks.

explanations needed

I'll have a go :)

The M3 (European model) car only comes with a CCS socket. CCS is the new international standard, which didn't exist when MS was conceived ...

Tesla has fitted dual-cables on some of the Stalls at Supercharger sites - already most of the sites in Europe, and about 50% of those in UK (even though no RHD M3s delivered yet) have this modification. So you can continue to use those sites, and indeed those stalls - just use the old connector, rather than the new one. (They are radically different shape, so no chance of accidentally "putting Petrol into a Diesel" ...)

There is talk of a CCS adaptor, which would allow any existing MS / MX to plug into a CCS Charger. That would allow you to charge at any CCS stall, there are hundred all across the UK, but none (or literally "only one or two") in the UK are Rapid; there is a big expansion of Rapid CCS chargers across Europe, so only a matter of time until they are widespread, but of course Tesla is also rolling out more Supercharger sites too ...

So once the CCS adaptor is available you will be able to charge at any CCS site, including if Tesla in future make any CCS-only Supercharger sites.

An M3 will therefore be able to charge at Supercharger (at a stall with the modified cable) or any CCS site. The SatNav on M3 only shows Supercharger sites which have modified stalls, which i think is a nice touch :) Whereas other CCS-capable brands of EV cannot charge at Supercharger site :cool:

3rd party CCS sites are like any other site ... often broken, often only one or two stalls so may well be occupied and you have to wait, despite being an "international standard" there are plenty of stories of Car-Brand-A not working with CCS-Brand-B, so its not all plain sailing ... yet.

• Informative
Reactions: NikoV6
CCS has made its way to Warrington, burtonwood wood has had four of its stalls upgraded however no “Model 3 Priority” stickers

I also noticed a little light has been installed on the inside of the charger, maybe it was there before and I missed it
F2968FC1-C23A-4371-BC94-E57DA341F9FA.jpeg

There is talk of a CCS adaptor, which would allow any existing MS / MX to plug into a CCS Charger. That would allow you to charge at any CCS stall, there are hundred all across the UK, but none (or literally "only one or two") in the UK are Rapid; there is a big expansion of Rapid CCS chargers across Europe, so only a matter of time until they are widespread, but of course Tesla is also rolling out more Supercharger sites too ...
Thanks @WannabeOwner - good summary.

Just on the term "Rapid": this is already commonly used to refer to anything over about 30 kW - the really rapid chargers (100 kW+) seem to be termed "ultra-rapid" (we're going to run out of adjectives eventually!).
A look ahead at EV charging in 2019 - Zap-Map

So if you have a MS or MX with a CHAdeMO adapter you can already access a network of "rapid" chargers, and experience the joy of public/3rd party charging. It's not all bad but makes you realise how good the Supercharging experience is in comparison. Model 3 owners will be able to do the same straight out of the box: they won't need an adapter to do so.

I've been using Superchargers for the past 3 years and very little has changed other than the steady increase in number of sites and increase in number of stalls per site. With CCS and V3 (plus, hopefully, a lot more Tesla owners with the launch of the Model 3) things look set to change a lot in the next couple of years. Personally I'm looking forward to it, Tesla have a track record of making sure the charging experience is great and in any case any teething troubles should get ironed out in places like Norway and The Netherlands before they become issues in the UK.

Reactions: WannabeOwner

The M3 (European model) car only comes with a CCS socket. CCS is the new international standard, which didn't exist when MS was conceived ...

Tesla has fitted dual-cables on some of the Stalls at Supercharger sites - already most of the sites in Europe, and about 50% of those in UK (even though no RHD M3s delivered yet) have this modification. So you can continue to use those sites, and indeed those stalls - just use the old connector, rather than the new one. (They are radically different shape, so no chance of accidentally "putting Petrol into a Diesel" ...)

So once the CCS adaptor is available you will be able to charge at any CCS site, including if Tesla in future make any CCS-only Supercharger sites.

An M3 will therefore be able to charge at Supercharger (at a stall with the modified cable) or any CCS site. The SatNav on M3 only shows Supercharger sites which have modified stalls, which i think is a nice touch :) Whereas other CCS-capable brands of EV cannot charge at Supercharger site :cool:

3rd party CCS sites are like any other site ... often broken, often only one or two stalls so may well be occupied and you have to wait, despite being an "international standard" there are plenty of stories of Car-Brand-A not working with CCS-Brand-B, so its not all plain sailing ... yet.
Appreciated. Thanks.

Begs the question...why not Type 2 adaptor, for the CCS vehicles!

Appreciated. Thanks.

Begs the question...why not Type 2 adaptor, for the CCS vehicles!

Because with hundreds of thousands of Model 3 expected over the next couple of years, yet only a few thousand supercharger stalls in total, it's much cheaper to retrofit the stalls than issue all the cars with adapters.

The Tesla use of non-CCS Type2 for supercharging, while neat, is out of step with the rest of the market and legislation. They could have tried a few years ago to push their solution as the industry/political standard but either they didn't try or didn't succeed, and now it's a legacy product. We can expect Model S/X to switch to CCS at the next refresh.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Am at the Perth site just now, and they are currently wiring in the stalls, all 12 of which have the dual cables (type 2 and CCS).

The groundwork and substation were finished several weeks ago, but it now looks as if this site will be open very soon.
Perth went live around 18.00 yesterday - several successful charges reported and a reassuring red glow coming from all 12 chargers.
It's not yet on the in-car map / app but I expect it will appear later today.

Am at the Perth site just now, and they are currently wiring in the stalls, all 12 of which have the dual cables (type 2 and CCS).

The groundwork and substation were finished several weeks ago, but it now looks as if this site will be open very soon.

View attachment 388762
View attachment 388763
Looks good. We've been waiting a year for Leicester Forest East to open but these things seem to take forEVER!