Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swift, possibly free charging?

Car has a Count of rapid DC charging and will significant reduce the charge rate if that counter indicates frequent DC charging. But you can do plenty of DC charging before that becomes a factor.

My time is too valuable to drive to a supercharger and sit there to save some pennies. I drive nearly 30,000 miles a year and all-in Electricity costs me £800. I couldn't (realistically) make enough of a dent in that, using a local Supercharger, to save me enough for even a nice meal out with my wife once a year :)

But, yeah, its a point, and definitely a psychological one, and there have been people in USA, particularly in the early "unlimited charging days" where people did do exactly that.

1) I have been known to be forgetful
2) I've not yet decided where I will fit a home charger
2) My scheduling / work is pretty erratic and having a sudden full charge very close at hand is a nice peace-of-mind buffer

Fair points :) but IME EV-life isn't quite like that.

EV-life is miserable if you don't have off-street, home charging. But of course there might be a lag between Car Arrive and Wall Charger installed ...

Home Charging is basically "leave home every morning with full tank". My refuelling in an ICE was, say, 400 miles per fill up, 5 minutes to fill and 5 minutes to queue and pay (including in that the time to get off highway, park and rejoin highway; for folk using Supermarket Petrol they would often also have to queue-for-pump and their time will be longer). So 30,000 miles per year divided by 400 miles/fill-up is 12.5 HOURS A YEAR! All replaced by a few seconds to plug in each evening :)

sudden full charge

It isn't that though, unfortunately. I reckon you've been listening to Elon's Promises :)

High speed charging occurs from 0% to 60-70% [works out around 10% every 5 minutes, regardless of battery size], slower after that, and painfully slow 95%-100%. I've done a 100% charge once at a Supercharger and it took 52 minutes to get from 95% to 100% (half of which was cell rebalance)

What you want is a Supercharger on your journey when you will be between 20% and 10% (or lower if you are brave!). Of course if you leave home with a decent charge you can go further before you need that, but the one around the corner is nothing like as good as one that is 50 - 100 miles away, and if you did remember to charge :) to 100% in readiness for the trip, then you can pick one nearer to 200 miles away.

I have been known to be forgetful

If you can figure out how, your best bet will be to develop the habit of plugging in every time you come home. 3rd party APPs will happy hassle you every day, at e.g. 9PM, if they find that the car is not plugged in, so you ain't got much excuse!!

From the horse's mouth: "Our first non-beta V3 Supercharger site will break ground next month, with North American sites ramping in Q2 and Q3 before coming to Europe and Asia-Pacific in Q4."

And this particular horse has a track record of being a bit, er, optimistic when it comes to deadlines. So zero sounds about right.

Introducing V3 Supercharging

Coming back from France, through Channel Tunnel, there were 2x Superchargers (with dual cables) in the Flexiplus Departure Lounge parking area. I can't see these marked on Tesla's website map. Seems like a much nicer place to park up and charge, if you happen to be coming home using Flexiplus.

Don't think this has come up before?

I was at Grantham yesterday and looks like they might be putting some more stalls in?

IMG_5427_TeslaGrantham.jpg

IMG_5428_TeslaGrantham.jpg

IMG_5429_TeslaGrantham.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cezdoc
Don't think this has come up before?

I was at Grantham yesterday and looks like they might be putting some more stalls in?
Reading up I think @floppyarms broke the news on here... but nice photos! :)

I have come to realise "Grantham" is a sort of trigger for folk to complain about other locations in the region that don't have Superchargers :rolleyes:. Not the best-loved of UK Superchargers.

I've also read that Folkestone Eurotunnel is being expanded from 4 to 8 chargers. I wonder if any other UK sites are getting expanded...?

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Reading up I think @floppyarms broke the news on here... but nice photos! :)

I have come to realise "Grantham" is a sort of trigger for folk to complain about other locations in the region that don't have Superchargers :rolleyes:. Not the best-loved of UK Superchargers.

I've also read that Folkestone Eurotunnel is being expanded from 4 to 8 chargers. I wonder if any other UK sites are getting expanded...?
Keele southbound could do with an increase! Full with Manchester Utd fans a couple of weeks ago! Couple of us had to queue! Only 4 bays.

Well they do that,vthe KFC was full to overflow with these fans, too! Upgrade required?

Ooh, might be a new site :) Definitely Tesla labelling on the cabinets? Was there an area marked out (fences, etc) for the build?
Based on photos on the UK owner's Facebook group I'd say there are 6 charger cabinets = 12 stalls and the location is towards the southwest corner of the hotel carpark, approx coordinates (51.88070, 0.788900). As @DJP31 says the photos clearly show labelling on the charge units indicating they are 135 kW Supercharger II (i.e. current V2 generation) cabinets and the site name is "Colchester".

I'd pop a note to Supercharge.info but it now seems to be blocked by the office firewall!

Reactions: WannabeOwner