Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good - when are we getting them is the next question! Any rumours?

Speculation is that this one (at the service centre):

upload_2019-10-17_22-29-19.png

...will be V3 (according to this thread) but that is just a random person in a thread so nothing confirmed.

About 90% of new USA & Canadian supercharger sites added in the past month are V3 so they are really getting moving there. However things might be very different in Europe (for a variety of reasons - different grid rules, different stall hardware, etc) so it could take a bit of testing at a small number of sites first before you see that kind of rate outside North America.

Reactions: Roy W.
I would expect 30-90% charge to take 45 minutes in a Model-3, you are well into taper, so I doubt the fact that you were paired had much impact.
Well for the first 10-15 minutes, it was going at about 22kw - 44kw, so that was definately slower than it should have been. Based on what abetterrouteplanner.com and the car computer said how long we should be charging for, I'd say the 'pairing' added on at least 10 minutes overall. Doesn't sound like much but late at night when you want to be on your way it is.

for the first 10-15 minutes, it was going at about 22kw - 44kw,

Fair enough. It was doing well to get to 90% in 45 minutes then, but things improve and the data I have for Model-3 batteries is somewhat stale.

If you have TeslaFi (and assuming you can be bothered / are curious :) ) you could look back and see how the pairing actually impacted the figures.

Presumably all 4 stall-pairs at Gordano were occupied. Worth checking who was there first and pairing with them (cars may be empty of course ... would be nice if Car told you which was the best stall to pair-at), and they would be likely to leave first. Personally I'd move the car if paired and a stall-pair became free, but if the site was busy that may not have been an option.

Worth pushing on to next Supercharger at 70% - if that is an option. Shorter overall journey time if drive-faster + charge-longer, particularly if you also stay out of taper. But ... there are quite a few "buts" in that. Need to arrive at the next Charger without sharing a pair ... and there needs to be one available en route too, they aren't exactly on every street corner!! Worth considering 3rd party too, if there are any decent ones available (unlikely in UK yet ... but Ionity et al will provide viable alternatives over time, should be able to score close to 200kW on a Model-3)

Fair enough. It was doing well to get to 90% in 45 minutes then, but things improve and the data I have for Model-3 batteries is somewhat stale.

If you have TeslaFi (and assuming you can be bothered / are curious :) ) you could look back and see how the pairing actually impacted the figures.

Presumably all 4 stall-pairs at Gordano were occupied. Worth checking who was there first and pairing with them (cars may be empty of course ... would be nice if Car told you which was the best stall to pair-at), and they would be likely to leave first. Personally I'd move the car if paired and a stall-pair became free, but if the site was busy that may not have been an option.

Worth pushing on to next Supercharger at 70% - if that is an option. Shorter overall journey time if drive-faster + charge-longer, particularly if you also stay out of taper. But ... there are quite a few "buts" in that. Need to arrive at the next Charger without sharing a pair ... and there needs to be one available en route too, they aren't exactly on every street corner!! Worth considering 3rd party too, if there are any decent ones available (unlikely in UK yet ... but Ionity et al will provide viable alternatives over time, should be able to score close to 200kW on a Model-3)

Yeah all good points. At the moment Gordano only has 4 CCS so hard to find a free pair. Wouldn't it be useful if the chargers had some sort of light on top of them that indicate how long left the cars have.

My problem with pushing on to the next one is that it was Darts Farm in Exeter. Website says Darts Farm closes at 7pm, but I don't know if that means shops, whole site, or if there are toilets etc left open. (I've emailed them to ask this).

My problem with pushing on to the next one is that it was Darts Farm in Exeter. Website says Darts Farm closes at 7pm, but I don't know if that means shops, whole site, or if there are toilets etc left open. (I've emailed them to ask this).

Superchargers there are definitely 24x7. Tesla website also claims that the "Restrooms inside the courtyard" are 24x7, though I haven't verified that personally.

Reactions: adsheff
Is Charnock Richard all CCS now or still just the two stalls?

There is this:

but I haven't seen independent confirmation, and it is not (yet) noted in the Crowd Sourced data either.

Someone posted on Facebook on Thursday to say Charnock Richard was all done Tesla Model 3 UK Owners

Yes: I visited earlier this week, all 12 are now CCS. In the photo below, the X on the right is using one of the two stalls that were initially converted but now all the way round to 1A on the left have double cables.

IMG_5934.JPG

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Superchargers there are definitely 24x7. Tesla website also claims that the "Restrooms inside the courtyard" are 24x7, though I haven't verified that personally.
I have charged and been able to visit restroom after Farm Shop closed. Also on the site there is a good fish & chip stall which stays open later than the Farm Shop - possibly until around 9pm, can’t quite recall.

• Love
Reactions: freekie
I look forward to al the CCS conversions being complete so this thread can return to its usual programming - musing about ‘coming soon’ superchargers and whether Fleet southbound will open and if Leicester Forest East will ever happen etc.
;)

I obviously do understand why CCS conversion is critically important to Model 3 owners! Good to see Tesla making good progress on this aspect of the supercharger infrastructure

I was a bit disappointed to only get 69kW (well, 78kW for one or two seconds right at the start) at Liphook yesterday evening @26% SoC - I was the only one there. I haven't been to a supercharger for about 6 weeks.

So Superchargers throttle power from time to time?

I'm just completing a 9-100% home charge to hopefully optimise the battery management. Currently in that end-period of trickle charging (6A as I type). I had estimated it would be finished by now and my wife would like to use the car in 15 minutes - wish me luck :D

Lots of factors affect charging speed, most of them related to the battery and BMS.
Unlikely to have been limited by the charger.
Thanks, well my 9-100% charge (to facilitate BMS calibration) just completed (in time for my wife to use the car and me not being in the dog house :) ) - but it stopped at 97%. I'll explore this on a different thread (Battery management or the BMS).

By the way I used the navigate to supercharger waypoint and we drove around 30 miles before reaching Liphook, so I'd have thought the battery would have been conditioned and it wasn't especially cold outside.

Last edited:
musing about ‘coming soon’ superchargers and whether Fleet southbound will open and if Leicester Forest East will ever happen etc.

As per the Title I would be grateful if this thread is restricted to be News about things that have happened, not speculation about what might happen. I started this thread with the intention that folk could bookmark it to get useful updates and as such people who have bookmarked the thread would be better served by this not being a thread for chatter. As I said at the outset my preference is for this thread to link to other threads where there is such chatter, and then if folk have specific interest they can follow that thread for the details :)

Every UK Supercharger should now be all CCS

Charnock Richard and Dartford not all-stalls converted