Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a lot of progress at Fort William. From this morning:

https://twitter.com/Thatcargeek/status/1300741051104333826?s=20

Eg0o4OwWsAAwooC
In the second photo it looks like the substation is there and the wooden unit. (Is that recent progress?)

When I was at Fort William on 31 Aug, the pile of cables etc. looked pretty much untouched when compared to the photo from 5 Aug posted earlier. There was however a Tesla EV charging distribution board a few spaces down which might or might not have been there earlier:

Attachments

• 2020-08-31 15.35.37.jpg
    2020-08-31 15.35.37.jpg
    752.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Helpful
Reactions: cezdoc and CMc1
When I was at Fort William on 31 Aug, the pile of cables etc. looked pretty much untouched when compared to the photo from 5 Aug posted earlier. There was however a Tesla EV charging distribution board a few spaces down which might or might not have been there earlier:
The distribution board (I assume that’s the shiny silver box) was installed in January so no progress, sadly. Other than the crime scene tape which is a more recent addition. Still of interest to know nothing’s happened recently. The kit there is V2 but I wonder if Tesla will now swap it for V3. It looks to me like the foundations for the charging cabinets haven’t been dug yet so they may be able to change their plans.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for a capacity upgrade at Birchanger Green (M11 north)?

I was there on Saturday and 2 stalls out of the 4 were out of action. Called the support line to call it in but that team don’t work weekends...So I emailed [email protected] but I fear that’s NA only.

That’s frustrating! I’ve been there and seen good queues. As far as I’m aware, a new pin (for 2020) was dropped just north of this site on the M11, so that could solve the queuing issue/low charger count in the future.

For now I would recommend using the A1 for north/south travel due to the V3 supercharger at Wyboston.

Ferrybridge is a possibility but since there’s been a Tesla pin there for a while I would have thought it would be regularly checked out by hopeful owners.
Definitely not Woodall North, Moto Peartree or LFE N/S. I check them twice a week on my weekly commute :oops:
Will swing by Ferrybridge next few days unless someone beats me to it
No groundworks at Tamworth or Ferrybridge

Reactions: cezdoc
There's a possibility it could be Inverness in the multi-storey car park on Rose Street - word is that the power supply was upgraded earlier this year (which I take to mean a distribution board metal box thingy was installed). Tesla left/reinstated their Inverness "Coming Soon" pin on the map even after Aviemore opened and there has in the past been mention of an "urban supercharger" setup being considered there (although I don't think there are any outside North America). I'm almost tempted enough to go and have a look but then I realise I'm considering a 5 hour round trip just to visit a multi-storey carpark on the off chance there's couple of pallets of Tesla equipment sitting there.

Annotation 2020-09-07 174105.JPG

There's a possibility it could be Inverness in the multi-storey car park on Rose Street - word is that the power supply was upgraded earlier this year (which I take to mean a distribution board metal box thingy was installed). Tesla left/reinstated their Inverness "Coming Soon" pin on the map even after Aviemore opened and there has in the past been mention of an "urban supercharger" setup being considered there (although I don't think there are any outside North America). I'm almost tempted enough to go and have a look but then I realise I'm considering a 5 hour round trip just to visit a multi-storey carpark on the off chance there's couple of pallets of Tesla equipment sitting there.

View attachment 585456
According to this press release; low-carbon charging hub coming to that car park with 13 EV charge points and additional 8 Tesla chargers [dated December 2019]

Plans progress for Low Carbon and Active Travel Hub at Rose Street | The Highland Council

Highland Council is progressing plans for a Low Carbon and Active Travel Hub project based within Rose Street car park in Inverness.

The hub will include 13 multi-use electric vehicle charging points, 8 additional Tesla charge points and an Active Travel Hub to provide walking and cycling information, cycle hire, a bike workshop and outreach programmes, to build on existing provision within the city.

Following the submission of a planning application to enable a change of use for part of the building to accommodate the Active Travel Hub, the project team has taken into account comments received from Active Travel groups keen to ensure that the project is a success.

A workshop will take place in January 2020 to engage local stakeholders in outlining aspirations for the Hub and the space required to deliver the activities outlined in the grant award. Following the workshop, the Planning Application will be amended and re-submitted to reflect requirements and available space.

Further information will be released regarding the January workshop once arrangements have been put in place.

Rose Street Car Park is centrally located, close to the bus and train station, so ideally placed for facilitating active and sustainable travel choices.

Funding from the project was received from Transport Scotland’s Low Carbon Travel and Transport (LCTT) Challenge Fund and is matched by contributions from Highland Council, NHS Highland and HITRANS.

20 Dec 2019

According to this press release; low-carbon charging hub coming to that car park with 13 EV charge points and additional 8 Tesla chargers [dated December 2019]

Plans progress for Low Carbon and Active Travel Hub at Rose Street | The Highland Council
Nice - that adds a bit more substance to the Inverness Supercharger rumour. The press release says "8 additional Tesla charge points" which doesn't exclude destination chargers - but if you're putting in "multi-use EV charging points" there wouldn't seem to be much point in having Tesla destination chargers (as opposed to Superchargers) alongside. It also says "the Planning Application will be amended and re-submitted" following a stakeholder workshop in Jan 2020 but I can't find anything more recent than the Nov 2019 planning application for the bike hire unit (wam.highland.gov.uk ref 19/04943/FUL). That said, the proposals may not need planning permission.

Reactions: CMc1
Nice - that adds a bit more substance to the Inverness Supercharger rumour. The press release says "8 additional Tesla charge points" which doesn't exclude destination chargers - but if you're putting in "multi-use EV charging points" there wouldn't seem to be much point in having Tesla destination chargers (as opposed to Superchargers) alongside. It also says "the Planning Application will be amended and re-submitted" following a stakeholder workshop in Jan 2020 but I can't find anything more recent than the Nov 2019 planning application for the bike hire unit (wam.highland.gov.uk ref 19/04943/FUL). That said, the proposals may not need planning permission.
Yeah I failed to find anything too. I even had a look to see if I could find a report on what/where the LCTT money was “spent” on, as I thought this would be maybe publicised annually. Not sure if the other organisations involved detail this info. Might be a case of someone local checking it out, if the site is even accessible.

I believe gridserve have one up and running (no solar farm though) up near Chelmsford way? Not sure if there is any information on price from that? I did mention it in the consultation stage about getting tesla involved without restricting current plans as there could be cost sharing and it would increase footfall to the site significantly. It looks like a state of the art site and I’m excited, but it does look like there is some pushback from the local community about it so it’s by no means clear to go ahead. I will try and rally some fellow ev owners locally and make sure they get heard.

Some details about their Chelmsford/Braintree site here:
Simple Search 20/00155/VAR
UK’s first Electric Forecourt® is under construction, opening Summer 2020 | Braintree District Council
It had the go-ahead in May, presumably the coronavirus pandemic has caused some delays - I'm sure Gridserve will want to publicise it as soon as it's open.
This one has 6 "spaces for future charging" in the equivalent "branded chargers" area. Maybe they are speculative and they haven't got a tenant yet, Porsche might be another possible user for example. I presume the HGV chargers areas are also designed in the hope they can accommodate the technology when it arrives - do we have electric HGVs in the UK yet?

The planning docs above have recently been revised and the site plans now explicitly mention Tesla Superchargers (6 stalls). Apparently the site is due to open this week and the Tesla Owners FB group seem confident that a supercharger will be included or installed in the near future.

Approximate location based on the site plans: 51.853000, 0.522000 (I found it a bit tricky to relate the site plans any exact landmarks though).

Annotation 2020-09-08 001155.JPG
Annotation 2020-09-08 001200.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Sean. and CMc1
New Supercharger under construction in Inverness it seems...View attachment 585637
Yes this pin is based on the article link and discussion a few posts back. The power supply has been upgraded but that may be it as far as “construction” is concerned so it’s quite a hopeful status pin. I think the TOGUK map has a new construction pin for Braintree now as well.

[Edit] I think Inverness is a bit tenuous for the supercharge.info database as there’s no planning application but there is a possibility it will go straight into construction without needing one.

Last edited:
there has in the past been mention of an "urban supercharger" setup being considered there (although I don't think there are any outside North America).

I think that the original "urban supercharger" (V2 cabinets with different software and lower-rated stalls) is probably dead with the advent of V3.

But we do already have a number of urban-style superchargers in the UK, just without the special hardware (indeed, Musk's speech at the UK Model S delivery event said that the UK was the trial ground for them - though glossing over the fact that this was something they had pulled out of the hat to distract attention from the original UK supercharger rollout plans having just gone off the rails with the Ecotricity dispute).

Several in London, Bluewater, Cribbs Causeway etc.

8 stalls is a bit small for a 2020 supercharger site, though maybe in Inverness demand is lower than S.E England.