Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No sign of uckfield Gridserve (although planning not granted yet).

On another note, no new sites in Scotland it suggests, Brighton still showing as 2022 and Crawley pin has been removed. Yes there is the service centre site, however there was talk of a site at pease pottage.

Planning permission was approved for Pease Pottage so it could have been missed, plans still be finalised, or maybe it’s been abandoned due to problems getting power to site. Hopefully it will appear again soon.

There is now one on the other side of Manchester marked as Trafford. As some are just going in at Intu shopping centres such as Uxbridge, I wonder if this one will be Intu Trafford Centre.

Interesting.

The location pin is in the roundabout at J10 on the M60 so as you say it could be the Trafford Centre. There is also a lot going on on the retail park to the Urmston (south) side of the junction, so could be there instead? Doesn't appear to be anything evident on the Trafford planning portal, but I will keep an eye open* as I'm nearby.

*(assuming I'm allowed out)

Reactions: Stuart1714
“New locations and timing updated QUARTERLY”

Berwick - Q1 2021 < likely Adderstone

Ferrybridge - Q1 2021

Flint - Q1 2021*

Rugby - Q1 2021* < likely Rugby Services

Uxbridge - Q1 2021 < likely Intu Shopping Centre

Birch - Q2 2021* {listed twice}

Bridgwater - Q2 2021*

Cardiff - Q2 2021*

Chiswick - Q2 2021*

East Leeds - Q2 2021*

Leavesden - Q2 2021

Leicester - Q2 2021

Milton Keynes - Q2 2021*

Reading - Q2 2021*

Rownhams - Q2 2021*

Sevenoaks - Q2 2021*

Thurrock - Q2 2021*

Aberystwyth - Q3 2021

Belfast - Q3 2021*

Blyth - Q3 2021*

Ferndown - Q3 2021*

Heathrow - Q3 2021*

Hull - Q3 2021*

Kettering - Q3 2021*

King’s Lynn - Q3 2021*

Plymouth - Q3 2021*

Stratford - Q3 2021*

Trafford - Q3 2021*

Exeter - Q4 2021*

Liverpool - Q4 2021*

Oxford Redbridge - Q4 2021*

Tamworth - Q4 2021*

Taunton - Q4 2021*

Trentham - Q4 2021*

Brighton - 2022

Cambridge - 2022*

Fleet - 2022

Removed
Brighouse
Builth Wells
Coventry
Dorchester
Edgware
Great Chesterford
Leicester Southbound
Newport Pagnell
North Wales
Peartree
Stirling
Worcester

*Newly listed in comparison to 10/08/20 snapshot

There's a planning application in for a rapid charging hub at Redbridge park and ride Oxford. Tesla not mentioned by name but pretty obvious there's 12 superchargers on the way there, given it's now on the Tesla map. https://public.oxford.gov.uk/online...NING__DESIGN_AND_ACCESS_STATEMENT-2457817.pdf
Nice find! 12x V3 “AREA B”

Superchargers and FastNed

6A8E29E9-A07A-4EC0-89DF-D2877ED47DD0.jpeg

upload_2021-1-5_12-48-17.png

upload_2021-1-5_12-49-47.png

Last edited:
“New locations and timing updated QUARTERLY”

Ferrybridge - Q1 2021
Flint - Q1 2021*

Removed
Brighouse
Builth Wells
Coventry
Dorchester
Edgware
Great Chesterford
Leicester Southbound
Newport Pagnell
North Wales
Peartree
Stirling
Worcester

*Newly listed in comparison to 10/08/20 snapshot
Looking at the pins that have disappeared...
Brighouse still has supercharger stalls which were installed in March 2017, now in a state of disrepair (power supply issues)
Builth Wells location was identified as the Caer Beris hotel so sad to see that one left off - with no nearby alternative
Coventry is effectively replaced by Rugby M6 Services (and the Rugby pin) which is imminent
Dorchester - nearest pin is now Ferndown (Bournemouth)
Edgware - planning was granted in May 2018 for a Supercharger at Welcome Break London Gateway - looks like it's not happening now
Great Chesterford has been renamed as Cambridge
Leicester Southbound
has gone but the northbound pin remains, at the LFE services
Newport Pagnell - Northbound
- may have been replaced by Milton Keynes but no longer indicating the M1 service area
North Wales - replaced by Flint (Mountain Park hotel has planning permission for a Supercharger)
Stirling has a rapid charging hub using Tesla powerpacks but no Superchargers. I can't remember if it's built yet.
Worcester - no nearby alternative that I can see.

I see that Banbury and Edinburgh Newbridge still aren't listed despite being open, and Royal Victoria Docks is still listed but was removed (decommissioned) last month.

The details on Tesla's website can be a bit flakey so don't go betting your Tesla shares on any of the updated information ;)

• Informative
Reactions: arg and CMc1
Looking at the pins that have disappeared...
Brighouse still has supercharger stalls which were installed in March 2017, now in a state of disrepair (power supply issues)
Builth Wells location was identified as the Caer Beris hotel so sad to see that one left off - with no nearby alternative
Coventry is effectively replaced by Rugby M6 Services (and the Rugby pin) which is imminent
Dorchester - nearest pin is now Ferndown (Bournemouth)
Edgware - planning was granted in May 2018 for a Supercharger at Welcome Break London Gateway - looks like it's not happening now
Leicester Southbound
has gone but the northbound pin remains, at the LFE services
Newport Pagnell - Northbound
- may have been replaced by Milton Keynes but no longer indicating the M1 service area
North Wales - replaced by Flint (Mountain Park hotel has planning permission for a Supercharger)
Stirling has a rapid charging hub using Tesla powerpacks but no Superchargers. I can't remember if it's built yet.
Worcester - no nearby alternative that I can see.

I see that Banbury and Edinburgh Newbridge still aren't listed despite being open, and Royal Victoria Docks is still listed but was removed (decommissioned) last month.

The details on Tesla's website can be a bit flakey so don't go betting your Tesla shares on any of the updated information ;)

Gutted to see Dorchester dropped - means a 100 mile round trip in any direction for me to my nearest SC which given the winter range of my SR+ is 100 miles, isn't useful.

Charged at Aberdeen today but I only got a rate of 50kW with a cold battery (it had only preconditioned since I left Union Square) and 52% charge. Funnily enough the app showed only 3 stalls out of 8 available but there were only 2 cars charging. Also my touch screen showed a “no entry” icon and stated restricted service, whatever that may mean (possibly cause of my slow charge rate). Clearly Aberdeen not fully functional yet.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Charged at Aberdeen today but I only got a rate of 50kW with a cold battery (it had only preconditioned since I left Union Square) and 52% charge. Funnily enough the app showed only 3 stalls out of 8 available but there were only 2 cars charging. Also my touch screen showed a “no entry” icon and stated restricted service, whatever that may mean (possibly cause of my slow charge rate). Clearly Aberdeen not fully functional yet.
The icon means “reduced service” which is referring to the wind damage they had to a few cabinets post commissioning which took a few stalls offline. They’ve since been repaired (allegedly) and probably a case that the Nav hasn’t been updated to show the repair (Christmas holidays etc)

• Informative
Reactions: exlatccatsa
Interesting.

The location pin is in the roundabout at J10 on the M60 so as you say it could be the Trafford Centre. There is also a lot going on on the retail park to the Urmston (south) side of the junction, so could be there instead? Doesn't appear to be anything evident on the Trafford planning portal, but I will keep an eye open* as I'm nearby.

*(assuming I'm allowed out)
Both locations are possible based on recent installs at Uxbridge & Banbury. The other side to the Trafford Centre may be better as not all the Trafford Centre’s car parks are open 24 x 7. You can get out 24 x 7, but not get in.

We all know about clean green energy powering our cars, but on the other side of the M60 to the TC there is also a source of dirty brown energy. One of europe’s largest waste water treatment plants converts Manchester’s brown stuff into electricity for our cars.

Last edited:
Both locations are possible based on recent installs at Uxbridge & Banbury. The other side to the Trafford Centre may be better as not all the Trafford Centre’s car parks are open 24 x 7. You can get out 24 x 7, but not get in.

We all know about clean green energy powering our cars, but on the other side of the M60 to the TC there is also a source of dirty brown energy. One of europe’s largest waste water treatment plants converts Manchester’s brown stuff into electricity for our cars.

I'm afraid I live near enough to know all about 'recycling centre' - we get a reminder just after anytime it rains in summer* and the wind is in the wrong direction.

*(Summer - the season in Manchester when the rain is warmer)

Gutted to see Dorchester dropped - means a 100 mile round trip in any direction for me to my nearest SC which given the winter range of my SR+ is 100 miles, isn't useful.

Likewise, we're in Dorchester 3 times a day! I think Rownhams and Ferndown (location is showing Bear Cross?) will make for a good top-up on the way back from London as that's the issue at the moment..... but there is nothing heading BACK from London to Dorset unless you go via Amesbury.

and punted to 2022, so it looks like a specific site proposal has been scrapped and there’s now just a general desire for one in the Cambridge area eventually.

Gt Chesteford was always a slightly odd location as you can’t get on/off the motorway there: even if it was more towards the Stumps Cross junction, that still only serves the A11 and not the M11/A14/A1 route to the north.

So it’s probably no great loss, but something is needed sooner than 2022 to relieve congestion at Stansted. Maybe Stansted itself will get expanded.

Cambridge itself might perhaps turn out as a service centre site: certainly one is needed around here as there are so many cars yet no convenient service centre.

I've been looking at these new markers, and compared to the old convention of just putting the marker in the town centre of whatever the name of the site happened to be, quite a few of the new ones are in more suggestive locations.

Some are still meaningless town-centre markers:
Aberystwyth - Q3 2021
Brighton
Cambridge - 2022*
Cardiff - Q2 2021*
Sevenoaks - Q2 2021*
Stratford - Q3 2021*
Tamworth - Q4 2021*
Taunton
- Q4 2021*

Nottingham - Q1 2021 should also be on the 'town-centre' list, but was missing from the @CMc1 post that I started from.

Some are slap in the middle of major road junctions rather than town centres, so probably giving more idea of the intended location but not an exact site:
Chiswick - Q2 2021*
East Leeds - Q2 2021*
Heathrow - Q3 2021*
Hull - Q3 2021*
King’s Lynn
- Q3 2021*
Milton Keynes - Q2 2021*
Plymouth - Q3 2021*

Others are a bit more interesting.

Marker is on the A1 but not at Adderstone nor the town centre.

Ferrybridge - Q1 2021
Marker is in the middle of a motorway junction, not the town centre nor the likely location at the Moto service area. Name gives it away really.

Flint - Q1 2021*
Marker is in the centre of the postcode CH6 5QG (which is the actual postcode of the known site but obviously doesn't locate the site accurately)

Birch - Q2 2021* {listed twice}
Marker is slap in the middle of the Moto Birch services on M62. Note that this has separate services for eastbound/westbound hence two superchargers and two listings.

Bridgwater - Q2 2021*
Marker is in town centre, but Moto service area on M5 seems likely.

Leavesden - Q2 2021
Marker is in the middle of Leavesden, some distance from the built-but-refused-planning location at Hunton Park.
If they are really planning to build it by Q2, they must have a new site that they aren't yet admitting location of.
Leavesden seems otherwise an oddly specific place to put a generic marker, but could be left over from the failed Hunton Park and just indicate a general intent to find a replacement site in that area.

Leicester - Q2 2021
Marker is still on LFE services (despite the planning there having expired). Could be just a case of not bothering to move the marker, or could be re-activating the expired plans.

Reading - Q2 2021*
Not quite town centre, but looks an arbitrary location on the A33 so probably not meaningful.

Rownhams - Q2 2021*
Marker is in M27 J3, but I think we've already identified it as Rownhams services (the name rather gives it away).

Thurrock - Q2 2021*
Marker is on a roundabout within the Lakeside shopping development. Probably not accurate location but a strong hint.

Belfast - Q3 2021*
Marker is not in the town centre, nor a road junction - it's in a public carpark close to the M3/A12 junction. Real or fluke?

Blyth - Q3 2021*
Marker is in town centre, but seems highly likely to be Moto service area close by.

Ferndown - Q3 2021*
This is an odd one. The marker is a long way away from Ferndown - it's hard to see why you'd put a marker there if you were told to put it on Ferndown, nor why you would call it Ferndown if you had decided to put a marker there. There is a pub with small carpark at the location of the marker, but it feels more like a mistake than a real location.

Kettering - Q3 2021*
Marker is not in town centre - it's in a shopping estate adjacent A14 J9. Looks like a real location.

Trafford - Q3 2021*
Marker is on M60 junction right next to the Trafford Centre. Highly suggestive but not conclusive.

Exeter - Q4 2021*
Marker is on the Moto service area.

Liverpool - Q4 2021*
Marker is on "Liverpool Shopping Park", Edge Lane. Looks like a real location, but close enough to being a 'town centre' marker that this could be a fluke.

Oxford Redbridge - Q4 2021*
Marker accurately locates the Redbridge P&R site where planning application for superchargers has been found.

Trentham - Q4 2021*
Marker is in the middle of a shopping estate carpark, not the centre of Trentham. Looks like a real location.

Fleet - 2022
Marker precisely locates the well-known built but inactive superchargers in the southbound services.

Regarding Ferndown, had time to kill yesterday so did a trawl through the local planning applications for the area. There was nothing obvious I could find. Will keep half an eye on them going forward as a supercharger there would be of interest.

You might have thought a location just to the north, on the A31, would make more sense.

Last edited: