Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A14? Nice idea but in Tesla’s world nobody drives across the country - all roads and superchargers must lead to/from London. They’ve only just work out that people live in and want to travel to/from Wales.
King’s Lynn? Thetford? Flint?

I am blown away by the rate at which new SC are going in and the effort gone to to locate them strategically.

I bought my M3 six months ago accepting that the SC network would grow gradually and have subsequently been amazed how rapidly it has grown and spread. Of course they will be biased towards arterial routes but that’s certainly not been the be-all and end-all.

A14? Nice idea but in Tesla’s world nobody drives across the country - all roads and superchargers must lead to/from London. They’ve only just work out that people live in and want to travel to/from Wales.
Yup, still a complete black hole. I (used to, pre-covid) regularly drive from the M6 and then A14 to Ipswich. Rugby now should help but the A14 lacks any sensible options. No, I'm not going to charge at Cambridge services!!!

Yup, still a complete black hole. I (used to, pre-covid) regularly drive from the M6 and then A14 to Ipswich. Rugby now should help but the A14 lacks any sensible options. No, I'm not going to charge at Cambridge services!!!
Rugby is one of the major crossroads of the country, that's why all the distribution companies have set up here. The provision of non SC capacity is more significant in many ways, twelve stalls of fast turn up and pay at a point where many journeys have a natural break.

We regularly drive from Sheffield to just short of Ipswich via the M1 and A14 and have had issues in cold weather in our almost 6 year old MS75 - just a smidge more range needed to do it non stop.
We recently found that a pair of Instavolt chargers have come online at the McDonalds off J10 of the A14 that are perfectly positioned for us. Only 50kW, but contactless, no faff and enough to provide the needed boost. Loos and a coffee also welcome....

King’s Lynn? Thetford? Flint?

I am blown away by the rate at which new SC are going in and the effort gone to to locate them strategically.

I bought my M3 six months ago accepting that the SC network would grow gradually and have subsequently been amazed how rapidly it has grown and spread. Of course they will be biased towards arterial routes but that’s certainly not been the be-all and end-all.
It is good. And getting better.
But judging by the amount of 3’s they are selling, it needs to move even faster.
Currently on day 3 of a road trip, two SC’s completely full yesterday with a queue.
Granted it’s bank hol weekend but….

I notice Brent Cross Superchargers are in “reduced service” and there is also an huge upgrade going on by Franklin Energy. Anyone know if Tesla are tagging in on this and upgrading the site?

It is good. And getting better.
But judging by the amount of 3’s they are selling, it needs to move even faster.
Currently on day 3 of a road trip, two SC’s completely full yesterday with a queue.
Granted it’s bank hol weekend but….

Doesn't that happen at petrol stations? And it doesn't have to be a bank holiday weekend for that to happen either. Its not just a supercharger problem. I think many of us are use to rocking up to superchargers and not having to wait, so queuing is unusual, but not unknown.

I’ve seen queues regularly on a Friday afternoon at Woodall. Reminds me of this…

For those who haven't ventured out much to the Tesla superchargers there are 4 types of user:
1. Model X user with free charging who spends the day charging to 100% because it's free.
2. New Model 3 user who didn't spend lockdown watching youtube videos on charging curves and so doesn't know that you don't charge to 100%
3. Outlander driver who doesn't know what day it is.
4. Smart TMC forum readers who arrive at 10% SOC and depart at 50% 8 minutes later having spent the time picking up litter carefully left by the red Model S driver with the personalised number plate. (You know who you are)

Reactions: SM '15 P90D
I notice Brent Cross Superchargers are in “reduced service” and there is also an huge upgrade going on by Franklin Energy. Anyone know if Tesla are tagging in on this and upgrading the site?

Ughhh, what a waste of time, typical EV charging BS...

The chargers, which will be operated and maintained by Franklin Energy on the LiFe Network, will be supplied by EVBox and installed over a number of phases. The first phase, which is due to complete later this year, will see the installation of 50 fast charging points (22kW AC) in the Multi Storey car park and two ultra-rapid charging points (350 kW DC) in the Western overflow car park. Electricity will be provided through REGO-backed, clean electricity contracts.

The fast chargers take 1-2 hours to fully charge a car battery, providing ample time for customers to enjoy the many retail and leisure offerings available at Brent Cross and complements the average time taken for a visit, which, prior to the pandemic, averaged at 95 minutes.(1)
Someone has decided not to mention that next to no cars will take 32A 3 Phase AC charging, so in reality even after 95minutes of misery in Brent Cross few will get more than 16KWh of charge. Far better to just put in more than 2 ultra's. This is not an 'EV Charging Hub'.

Tried the Rugby chargers for the first time today - really nice - other Tesla owners waving - idyllic country drive to rejoin the M1 North. A fairytale. Swans and everything (*).

Only oddity is travelling from the M1 either way - the nav wants you to travel to Coventry on the M6 then double back to take the junction.

ignore it - just follow the signs for the Services and enjoy the swans.

(*) Bonus points if you get the excellent film reference.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Tried the Rugby chargers for the first time today - really nice - other Tesla owners waving - idyllic country drive to rejoin the M1 North. A fairytale. Swans and everything (*).

Only oddity is travelling from the M1 either way - the nav wants you to travel to Coventry on the M6 then double back to take the junction.

It has the same issue when coming along the A14 from the east. You’d think that this kind of thing would have been sorted given its all Tesla in-house stuff.

Two manky hookers and a racist dwarf…..

• Funny
Reactions: nufan
I was surprised to see the Tesla Supercharging icon as I pulled into the in-laws house. I'll have a go on it tomorrow, though charging on the driveway is still easier.

51212973798_f96ae585f3_c_d.jpg

Reactions: jimbo_hippo