Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw elsewhere that Enfield council have received a planning application for a new Tesla showroom and service centre which includes Superchargers at Ravenside Retail Park so I had a look at their planning site.

22/04294/CND | Details pursuant to ref: 21/04156/FUL: Travel Plan (7), for the change of use of the building from Retail (Class E) to servicing centre and car showroom (sui generis). | Ravenside Retail Park 1 Ravenside Close London N18 3B

24 hr lounge and toilets for supercharging customers

Location Plan

I think Tesla may have tried to do something in the past in the area. This looks like a new application dated just before Christmas.

Last edited:
I saw elsewhere that Enfield council have received a planning application for a new Tesla showroom and service centre which includes Superchargers at Ravenside Retail Park so I had a look at their planning site.

22/04294/CND | Details pursuant to ref: 21/04156/FUL: Travel Plan (7), for the change of use of the building from Retail (Class E) to servicing centre and car showroom (sui generis). | Ravenside Retail Park 1 Ravenside Close London N18 3B

24 hr lounge and toilets for supercharging customers

Location Plan

I think Tesla may have tried to do something in the past in the area. This looks like a new application dated just before Christmas.
Thanks for sharing this! This corresponds to Tesla's London - Edmonton marker, target opening Q3 2023. As with other service centre planning applications the superchargers are not specifically included but at other sites they end up being placed as shown in indicative drawings more often than not.

The appendix in the Framework Travel Plan document shows 13 stalls at the NE end of the car park (but specific details like tombstone foundations and charger cabinets are not shown):
(I needed to accept cookies on the Enfield planning website before @Stuart1714 's links worked)
1674641889558.png

Has true plug-and-charge actually been rolled out yet? Some operators jumped the gun and started doing plug-and-charge based on reading the MAC address out of the car - which could easily be done for an AC chargepoint too, but is rather insecure and only appropriate for a short-term transitional measure.
Plug & Charge works with Ionity and Porsche / Audi here and Europe. In the states Electrify America is rolling it out.

[I believe it uses ISO 15118-2 standard]

Edit: Just checked and Fastned on the continent has it enabled too on their Alpitronic Hyperchargers using the ISO standard noted.

Last edited:
[I believe it uses ISO 15118-2 standard]

Edit: Just checked and Fastned on the continent has it enabled too on their Alpitronic Hyperchargers using the ISO standard noted.

The confusion is that both the 'true' plug-and-charge and the 'fake' plug-and-charge are based on ISO15118-2 - that's the basic standard behind CCS, so any CCS car is implementing the core features of ISO15118-2. For true plug-and-charge it's a question of whether they've implemented the security architecture and the back-end integration to manage it.

Fastned were one of the early proponents of the fake plug-and-charge, where they just read the MAC address (using that as an identifier in their own private billing system). So far as I can tell, that's still what they are doing - and it has the advantage that it inherently works with any CCS car without further work.

However, it does look like cars from Volkswagen group and a small number of networks (inc. Ionity) are now live on the true plug-and-charge architecture, with Hubject operating the certification authority.

Mind you, some of the commercial aspects still seem to be at an early stage of development, with the ability to have more than one supplier contract associated with the car being a new feature launching on BMW models in 2023 according to this press release:

The confusion is that both the 'true' plug-and-charge and the 'fake' plug-and-charge are based on ISO15118-2 - that's the basic standard behind CCS, so any CCS car is implementing the core features of ISO15118-2. For true plug-and-charge it's a question of whether they've implemented the security architecture and the back-end integration to manage it.

Fastned were one of the early proponents of the fake plug-and-charge, where they just read the MAC address (using that as an identifier in their own private billing system). So far as I can tell, that's still what they are doing - and it has the advantage that it inherently works with any CCS car without further work.

However, it does look like cars from Volkswagen group and a small number of networks (inc. Ionity) are now live on the true plug-and-charge architecture, with Hubject operating the certification authority.

Mind you, some of the commercial aspects still seem to be at an early stage of development, with the ability to have more than one supplier contract associated with the car being a new feature launching on BMW models in 2023 according to this press release:

I know that Porsche and Ionity have ‘true’ (certificate based) P&C working based on the ISO standard.

Presumed that Fastned did too, wasn’t aware that they were just using a cut down MAC based scheme. Thanks for the info.

The confusion is that both the 'true' plug-and-charge and the 'fake' plug-and-charge are based on ISO15118-2 - that's the basic standard behind CCS, so any CCS car is implementing the core features of ISO15118-2.
FWIW, according to Wikipedia the 'fake' P&C standard, using MAC addresses, is based on DIN 70121

Besides Tesla, alternatives to Plug & Charge exist including "AutoCharge" based on DIN Spec 70121 (Combined Charging System - CCS)[21][22] using the car's fixed MAC address which is not a secure mechanism, however companies like the Volkswagen Group cars do not have a fixed MAC address and cannot use AutoCharge.[23]

Does it have any superchargers?
There's a summary of Gridserve sites where planning applications have been made in the wiki post for this thread. In the case of Nevendon, four Supercharger stalls are shown in the proposed visuals although Tesla aren't mentioned by name. It's not therefore a certainty but the first Gridserve Electric Forecourt at Braintree followed a similar pattern (i.e. Tesla weren't explicitly mentioned at the outset but Supercharger stalls were evident in the planning drawings).

Reactions: CMc1
Guildford - Spectrum Leisure Centre site is now Live. I've seen a couple of cars charging at lunchtime, but when I went to use the service I couldn't as they were about to start painting the lines.
More chargers for the South East. Wonderful, for the minority of the population who live there. For the rest of us in majorityland, still not enough.

More chargers for the South East. Wonderful, for the minority of the population who live there. For the rest of us in majorityland, still not enough.
In the huge areas South of London from the M3 right around to East Kent there are very few superchargers but a huge proportion of the UK population and I would imagine from this Forum a huge proportion of Tesla drivers. The only area with worse coverage is Cumbria/ Northumberland / Durham. Even the spellchecker on this Forum fails to recognize Northumberland!

In the huge areas South of London from the M3 right around to East Kent there are very few superchargers but a huge proportion of the UK population and I would imagine from this Forum a huge proportion of Tesla drivers. The only area with worse coverage is Cumbria/ Northumberland / Durham. Even the spellchecker on this Forum fails to recognize Northumberland!
When you concider, In the main, Superchargers are not for the people who live somewhere they are for those wanting to visit. Suddenly not having many in East Kent makes a lot more sense 🤔

Of course, people are welcome to discuss non-Superchargers on these forums (although ideally not in this thread) but I'd suggest that the best place to discuss the broader non-Tesla-specific charging infrastructure is the Charging Locations subforum at speakev.com

It's a friendly forum with a similar feel to here IMO (and in no way anti-Tesla) and obviously has the benefit of large numbers of other EV owners.

Yes you are quite right. Arrived at the charger in Whitley Bay yesterday and found first one not working so moved to one of the other 3 and got a good charge. My Fastned account now says I have completed the registration for Autocharge so next week will try the one at Barnard Castle and see if this works.

Reason for all this prep is that I will be on holiday in the Netherlands in June so want a backup option to Supercharging in case of queues or for convenience.