Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are 20 EV chargers going in at the new designer village being built near Scotch corner. Just no incline to who the operator is. The same external consultants that are linked to other SuC sites, can be seen in the docs - but it’s not enough to go on..

And there is the Moto site over the roundabout (who we know is currently on good terms with Tesla SuC team)…

So overall I believe we could see some expansion happening at some point at Scotch Corner
I emailed the shopping village last year and they wouldn’t share who it was with either. Fingers crossed!
I saw on another forum a link to a new electric powered digger and a power bank with solar charging to keep it going without mains power digging up Scotch Corner for Gridserve. Not sure what’s happening though as that video was done a while ago.

Electric digger @ Scotch Corner
I’ve not been by the Moto services for a few years now, didn’t know they installed high powered hub! Has anyone been to the actual services and see if any SuC’s installed yet?

Interested to see what this all means for the supercharging network, especially the contactless payment requirement

The intention is great but don't hold your breath.

Despite the article saying this legislation has been introduced Legislation.gov.uk says that this is draft legislation that has not been enacted. "This is a draft item of legislation and has not yet been made as a UK Statutory Instrument." Once enacted there will be a grace period before the actual date of operation, then companies will not have to report any data for at least a year after that.

That will be the death of 11kw and 22kw AC chargers then. Can’t see any operator wanting to install them with contactless payment over a 7kw post because of the costs involved.

Not sure what Tesla will want to do with co tactless payment and roaming though. That will be interesting to see.

That will be the death of 11kw and 22kw AC chargers then. Can’t see any operator wanting to install them with contactless payment over a 7kw post because of the costs involved.

Not sure what Tesla will want to do with co tactless payment and roaming though. That will be interesting to see.
I agree it would have made more sense to make the distinction AC vs DC. AC chargers are much cheaper than DC so applying this to 11kw chargers but not 7kw will render 11kw uneconomic to install. On the plus side almost no cars can do anything above 11kwh anyway these days so the loss of 22kw would be negligible in the big picture ( sorry legacy Model S owners)

Reactions: Adopado

Do Tesla do contactless payment anywhere in the world? The definition of Public Charge Point:

A public charge point does not include—

(b)a charge point restricted for the exclusive use by—

(i)a vehicle produced by a specific manufacturer;

Might discourage them from opening up the network further.

More supercharger site speculation than news (sorry) but if I was Tesla and was forced into screens displaying prices and card readers etc. Given that the majority of customers would not use them since they would be ether Tesla's or using the app, if I had a site of say 16 chargers I would set up 4 terminals spread through out the site ideally rain covered each of which could be used for any of the chargers.
You plug in. walk up to the terminal a couple of meters away, enter the number of the charger, pay and the charge starts. Slightly less convenient for the user than a screen and reader on every charger but the advantage, apart from cost, is that if any one screen or card reader failed no charger would be put out of action since there would be x more.
Not common in the UK but in other places a lot of petrol stations work like this in that you go up and pay first then fuel. putting a screen and card reader on every charger makes sense went you are installing in pairs in McDonalds carparks but good luck getting 99% availability when every charger can be put out of action by a faulty screen or card terminal.

More supercharger site speculation than news (sorry) but if I was Tesla and was forced into screens displaying prices and card readers etc. Given that the majority of customers would not use them since they would be ether Tesla's or using the app, if I had a site of say 16 chargers I would set up 4 terminals spread through out the site ideally rain covered each of which could be used for any of the chargers.
You plug in. walk up to the terminal a couple of meters away, enter the number of the charger, pay and the charge starts. Slightly less convenient for the user than a screen and reader on every charger but the advantage, apart from cost, is that if any one screen or card reader failed no charger would be put out of action since there would be x more.
Not common in the UK but in other places a lot of petrol stations work like this in that you go up and pay first then fuel. putting a screen and card reader on every charger makes sense went you are installing in pairs in McDonalds carparks but good luck getting 99% availability when every charger can be put out of action by a faulty screen or card terminal.
Instavolt has card readers on each unit and claims 99.8% availability. It can be done.

... yes but most are relatively new. Superchargers have been operating since 2014 with excellent reliability ... Chargeplacescotland chargers since 2013 and their screens and functions generally are frequently knackered.
Why talk down Instavolt? They've been around long enough. I was using them when I had a Leaf, which is going back more than five years. They are now bigger than the supercharger network in the UK and expanding faster than it. All that with great reliability 🤷‍♂️

Why talk down Instavolt? They've been around long enough. I was using them when I had a Leaf, which is going back more than five years. They are now bigger than the supercharger network in the UK and expanding faster than it. All that with great reliability 🤷‍♂️
I was just speculating that reliability may be improved by chargers not having a screen … one vulnerable area and potential failure point being absent.

Reactions: Jason71
1689236448588.png

A gold rosette has recently been pinned on north Wales on Tesla's map, plugging an often-mentioned gap in the Supercharger network.

The map itself has had very few updates since February: newly opened sites have been added but the grey pins are unchanged in terms of both location and target opening dates (e.g. there is still a grey pin for Merry Hill, target opening Q4 2022, even though it actually opened in April).