Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla pin is on the MOTO motorway service area, although that’s not a guarantee that it’s going to be there. It’s one of the many service areas across the UK that has been allocated money on the Green Recovery Scheme to reinforce the power supply for EV charging and other things, £1.87m in this case.

The cash is available but hardly any of the reinforcement work across the country have been completed so far, so it’s likely that it’s waiting on the local electricity distributor (DNO). I read recently on another forum that one location has been done and a small number have been delayed due to planning type issues, but there’s nothing delaying the rest apart from the work needs to be planned & resourced.

At the moment EV charging companies are falling over themselves to get chargers out there, but without adequate power they can’t. Charging on motorways is simply terrible in general. Every service area is supposed to have at least 6 fast chargers before the end of the year, but it’s going to miss that target by miles.
Thanks for that information. Indeed it's been listed on Tesla's Find Us map for a long time and keeps on getting postponed. Sounds like there's a good chance it will happen again, but I didn't know it's been allocated money on the Green Recovery Scheme. Fingers crossed it won't be too long!

4 charger cabinets are now on site at Lifton according to a post on TOUK. The expectation is that the existing V2 stalls will be swapped out for V3/V4 ones (similar to what happened at Tebay in May) to end up with 16 stalls (CCS only).
Confirmed via Supercharge.info app photo uploaded today

Interestingly, (I forgot to mention) the owner that tipped off the expansion in my earlier post also mentioned Lifton would be the biggest site in the South. One week later I spotted the mobilisation of Moto Exeter, so unsure how this tally’s and he could be referring to old info.

As previously mentioned, he did say doubling the stalls so I also suspect a Tebay repeat.

1693130251564.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cezdoc
if Tesla are planning to open up it means no blocking from etrons or taycans anymore as the cable can easily reach to the other side.
Planning to test the V4 cable length when I'm back in the UK next week I'll take our Taycan Turbo up to Tottenham for a top up. Glad I spec'd it now with the 400-800V booster option too.

Now if only Tesla supported full ISO 15118 Plug & Charge per Ionity, that would be great.

Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN
Confirmed via Supercharge.info app photo uploaded today

Interestingly, (I forgot to mention) the owner that tipped off the expansion in my earlier post also mentioned Lifton would be the biggest site in the South. One week later I spotted the mobilisation of Moto Exeter, so unsure how this tally’s and he could be referring to old info.

As previously mentioned, he did say doubling the stalls so I also suspect a Tebay repeat.

View attachment 968548

Yeah spotted them last weekend - didn't think to take a picture sorry. We visited twice once Friday early PM and once Monday late AM and didn't appear to be a lot of work actually happening - no one on site working on them or anything.
Hopefully help with capacity, I picked the one the second from the end and had full capacity but twice people came and parked right next to me despite all the other chargers being free so dropped to 50-60KW which was a right pain as I was on single digit battery percentage on the way home. I swear it's new owners don't realise the shared bandwidth thing on older gen chargers.
TBH though, once Fraddon has opened up I can skip this one entirely on visits to Cornwall.

Reactions: CMc1
I'm pretty sure Musk said not long ago they were aiming for 10% profit on supercharging. Most of the non-Tesla networks are making a loss on charging a lot more. Who knows what the Tesla maths actually is. It's not transparent for sure.
He must mean an operating profit. I doubt the current returns cover the expansion, given its rate. Which is also where the other networks are losing/investing a lot.