Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn’t buy one at all at the moment with HW4 on the horizon. It seems like we might be in a mid-refresh period too - 5MP cameras but the placement of then is unchanged. It won’t be long surely before it transitions properly to what HW4 is going to be for the next few years.

I also wouldn’t buy one at all without USS on general principal, but especially not if I needed to rely on it - e.g. in London.

Reactions: Ratch and Blueskye
Is the biggest issue not the lack of USS but the fact that as soon as you drive it away you are throwing away £10k plus? Madness buying new now. Likely hardware revision soon also.
It was a number of things for me, I cancelled after initially being attracted by the price reduction and low interest payment percentage. A lower actual trade in on my model 3 performance than 2 I’d previously been given as estimates (13%) got me thinking about it more after an initial knee jerk reaction. For me it was what am I getting for £57k, USS has been removed, rumours they are putting the radar back, HW4. In the end I thought I may be stuck with a transition car that could lose it’s value very quickly.

Reactions: CWT3LR and Durzel
Christ are we still on this topic? its like nobody parked a car before without sensors.

Collected MYP about 2 months ago, moved from a 2020 M3LR. It took maybe 200 miles and parking 10 times to get the hang of it without worrying and I honestly haven’t noticed they’ve been gone since. There are three rear facing cameras and three rear facing mirrors to ensure you don’t smack in to a pole when reversing and you figure out how much space you have up front real fast. It really isn’t a big deal.

Christ are we still on this topic? its like nobody parked a car before without sensors.

Collected MYP about 2 months ago, moved from a 2020 M3LR. It took maybe 200 miles and parking 10 times to get the hang of it without worrying and I honestly haven’t noticed they’ve been gone since. There are three rear facing cameras and three rear facing mirrors to ensure you don’t smack in to a pole when reversing and you figure out how much space you have up front real fast. It really isn’t a big deal.
None of this excuses Tesla removing it, with no benefit at all to the customer.

I consider myself a decent enough driver, good spatial awareness etc, but I still use USS on my car to precisely park (e.g. for charging etc). It’s standard equipment on cars at this level, and ones much cheaper, and there’s no excuse for them having removed it with no substitute system ready to go.

None of this excuses Tesla removing it, with no benefit at all to the customer.

I consider myself a decent enough driver, good spatial awareness etc, but I still use USS on my car to precisely park (e.g. for charging etc). It’s standard equipment on cars at this level, and ones much cheaper, and there’s no excuse for them having removed it with no substitute system ready to go.
Are you sure there’s no benefit?

The ultrasonic sensors were a point of failure, my old 3 had them just die one day after a software update and it needed a service appointment to replace the whole USS controller to resolve. Because the car expected them, that also meant I couldn’t even use autopilot for almost 2 weeks while I was waiting for the service appointment. No sensors, no controller to get bricked, no drive to Dartford needed to fix it.

If the car is in a front or rear collision then the bumper repair is harder and more complex with sensors needing to be reaffixed and tested and maybe replaced. Cheaper and faster repair is a customer benefit given how much people also like to complain about wait times for parts.

Would it be better if the vision replacement was ready? Sure. Is it a dealbreaker worth cancelling your order over or having hundred page pity party threads on this sub about? Not really. We know a replacement is coming. If they need a few more weeks to avoid releasing a half baked version that people start relying on and then hitting stuff, that’s fine. It’ll arrive soon. Two weeks. 😅

If ultrasonics were a point of a failure to the point where it was generally recommended to avoid them or keep an eye on them or whatever, I’m pretty sure we’d hear about it - given they’re installed on basically everything.

Not discounting your personal experience, anything can go wrong, but I’d suggest that even in your case the sensors themselves were fine and it was whatever “module” Tesla use for them that was the problem. That’s perhaps more a reflection on Tesla than the technology.

For what it’s worth I’ve never had ultrasonics go wrong on any car I’ve owned or driven, never heard of it going wrong on any friend’s cars, etc.

Ultimately I think we’ll have to agree to disagree - I think it’s unacceptable that Tesla removed them, and disrespectful when people say stuff like “lol can’t you drive?” (not saying this is you). It’s the principal of it that matters.

Reactions: CWT3LR
This completely misses the point of my, and many other people's, discontent.

It is Tesla's handling of this which causes me huge irritation, not the absence of the sensors per se.
So you’d rather they handled it by doing what?

• Release the software vision replacement they weren’t confident in when they ran in to last minute bugs?
  • Gone back to their former USS supplier for a short notice high price order when the software delay became apparent and then undo the retooling of their factories just to re-do it again later?
  • Not shipped some vehicles for a couple of quarters because they couldn’t get enough USS supply in the colours needed at short notice?
  • Issued some sort credit or refund for something that will arrive, just a bit late?
It’s the blowing this completely out of proportion that causes me huge irritation. It’s an incredibly minor first world problem.

Spare a thought for poor Tesla with the highest margins per car in the industry possibly having to sign a new short term contract for USS parts, rather than shafting customers and pocketing the savings instead.

Lack of USS is a first world problem, but the principal of it isn’t, and it boggles the mind that’s there are people who will go out to bat for them on this when they have such huge margins. Customers excusing having basic, ubiquitous tech removed from them, surreal.

I canceled last October and almost 6 months later with no Vision replacement, glad I did.
I have since ordered a different EV, not Tesla.

Still considering the MY but will depend if and when Tesla has a replacement in place. Have very tight parking at work so need something for pull in parking and without USS or its replacement, it will be too much trouble 5 days a week.

Are you sure there’s no benefit?

The ultrasonic sensors were a point of failure, my old 3 had them just die one day after a software update and it needed a service appointment to replace the whole USS controller to resolve. Because the car expected them, that also meant I couldn’t even use autopilot for almost 2 weeks while I was waiting for the service appointment. No sensors, no controller to get bricked, no drive to Dartford needed to fix it.

If the car is in a front or rear collision then the bumper repair is harder and more complex with sensors needing to be reaffixed and tested and maybe replaced. Cheaper and faster repair is a customer benefit given how much people also like to complain about wait times for parts.

Would it be better if the vision replacement was ready? Sure. Is it a dealbreaker worth cancelling your order over or having hundred page pity party threads on this sub about? Not really. We know a replacement is coming. If they need a few more weeks to avoid releasing a half baked version that people start relying on and then hitting stuff, that’s fine. It’ll arrive soon. Two weeks. 😅

Lol shall we start removing air conditioning, electric windows, electric seats, infotainment because those things can, rarely, fail too!? Without reducing the cost of the vehicle. All for the benefit of the customer, of course! Lol, load of cobblers!

Reactions: Simavon and CWT3LR
Lol shall we start removing air conditioning, electric windows, electric seats, infotainment because those things can, rarely, fail too!? Without reducing the cost of the vehicle. All for the benefit of the customer, of course! Lol, load of cobblers!
Audi just removed the heat pump from the Q4. Manufacturers change specs all the time. And again, with USS the feature is being replaced soon which is why the brouhaha is even more stupid.

Well.. if I had FSD one thing is certain that car wouldn’t leave my sight.
Wouldn’t let go of it.

It’s just very tough to swallow the lack of the auto boot thing and the lack of mileage for me. Also the other minor improvements etc.

But now maybe it’s a sign of letting the Y go.. at least for now.

Are you concerned of out of warranty costs?
Still got another year under warranty. I’ll see what this year fails to bring!

Audi just removed the heat pump from the Q4. Manufacturers change specs all the time. And again, with USS the feature is being replaced soon which is why the brouhaha is even more stupid.
Is “being replaced” is VERY different from “here is the alternative”.

Unlike Tesla, I feel confident to say despite knowing didly squat, that Audi has replaced it with something or made a plan BEFORE sending the cars out? And also told customers not 2 weeks before collection???