Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who thinks Tesla has a unique perspective on a tech that is now forty years old is somewhat deluded.
Totally, it’s like when SpaceX, Tesla or [insert on of several companies lead by Elon] set out to revolutionize [insert one of dozens of things that have been around for decades] and people thought they were crazy. No way you can build a rocket for a fraction of the cost, can you land rocket back on earth and reuse it, can you combine dozens upon dozens of parts into a single manufactured piece, can a EV battery get over 300 miles of range, can you improve a car over the internet sitting in a garage, [insert one of dozens of solutions that disrupted tech that has been around for decades]. What a bunch of deluded fools that have failed over and over and over. When will they just realize things are as good as they are gonna get and follow the path everyone took before them.

Oooh wait a second….

Reactions: init6 and spdpsba
Totally, it’s like when SpaceX, Tesla or [insert on of several companies lead by Elon] set out to revolutionize [insert one of dozens of things that have been around for decades] and people thought they were crazy. No way you can build a rocket for a fraction of the cost, can you land rocket back on earth and reuse it, can you combine dozens upon dozens of parts into a single manufactured piece, can a EV battery get over 300 miles of range, can you improve a car over the internet sitting in a garage, [insert one of dozens of solutions that disrupted tech that has been around for decades]. What a bunch of deluded fools that have failed over and over and over. When will they just realize things are as good as they are gonna get and follow the path everyone took before them.

Oooh wait a second….
You summed it up very well, get ready for brickbat soon!

Oooh wait a second….
So advanced that they are incapable of giving us wipers that work properly 🤣😂🤣

Oooh wait a second….
That's terrific! Are you a lawyer by any chance? Being able to deflect with completely irrelevant arguments puts you firmly in the Giuliani school of law.

I think that comparison is hard. From what little I know of it car prices quoted in America don't include sales tax, and rebates are tax deductions - so you have to earn it to be able to claim it back, hence "not applicable to all". People here with company cars (negligible BiK tax) or salary sacrifice are getting a useful tax reduction - that doesn't apply to everyone either of course :)

I agree with you. However, I was under the impression that there was a general mailing to reservation holders back when the change was made. Assuming that was the case then you (and others) didn't get it. Might be that it was treated as SPAM and you never saw it, but Tesla have a history of making changes on-the-hoof and then their Back office system (or some human) struggling to implement the change. Their back office systems have never been up to the job IMO. For example; staff making stuff up about what boat people's cars are on / when delivery will be; back office system should tell them that (within a bit if not specifically), but instead they allow staff to make stuff up (it has happened so often that clearly their line manager is not telling them not to do it)

So I think entirely possible that there was a general mailing, and my opinion is that whoever set it up selected "All appropriate orders" and that just didn't work for the "all" part (and the culture is good-enough-will-do and move-on, whereas with more care and attention they would have reached everyone and not then have a backlash from people who didn't get it - and the increased-cost-of-working of having to do cancellations and refunds etc etc). But whilst they can sell all they can make, and can afford to lose a percentage of punters, then "cheapest/quickest/least-effort" is the chosen solution. Whether they change that to "best customer service" before Production > Orders ... who knows! Sell your shares the day before :)
There certainly was no general mailing hitting my desk!

There certainly was no general mailing hitting my desk!

Understood, others did get an email. Yours might have been trapped as spam, but I think far more likely (based on previous examples) that whoever sent out the mailing failed to set the "filter" correctly, or they did "everyone until NOW" and didn't put in place for any new orders after that.

Its happened far too often to be an isolated incident. Tesla need to do that better ... their back office seems to be "be quick" rather than "be accurate" ...

Mod comment:

USS and the lack of clearly divides opinion, either on the topic itself or the overall relationship some owners have with the company. That doesn't exempt anyone from the site rules, so please try and keep it away from personal statements and digs about others. Disagreeing with someone is fine, but keep comments to what you disagree about, rather than about the actual person you disagree with.

A few slight edits and one removal has been done to try and keep the essence but avoid the confrontational aspects.

So yes.. haven’t been following threads and was set to take delivery of my long awaited MY in March.

Got a warning 2 days ago about USS removal.
First of all.. cheeky AF imo given they started removing them in November or so?? Why not let people know from the beginning?

But I’m actually considering cancelling my order despite REALLY REALLY wanting a model Y with a much better build quality than my 2020 SR+ M3 from Fremont.

But WTF? I know there are plenty of threads on this but didn’t see one about people cancelling, if any.
I use USS on my M3 daily as an obsession, I simply couldn’t attempt to parallel park in these tight London spots my M3 as we all know it’s a large and long car and gauging how close you’re to something can be challenging. - Maybe I’m just a *sugar* driver, maybe.
But it pisses me off that cheap cars back in 2014-2016 have features like USS and Tesla decided to remove just another feature that is essential for many nillywilly without an equivalent replacement being offered NOW and without a guarantee of what will be actually available and when.

So anyone else cancelling?
As a USS free model y owner, all I will say is, back into everything, and you'll be fine. The rear and wing cameras make it much easier, and you will more quickly get acquainted with your car's size and shape. We had an X3 for four years that could get through our gates with the mirrors folded, but that meant the gap was beneath the range of the sensors, so every time we came in through them, the PDC would be screaming.. So the transition to this car was a little easier for us I guess.

But, in short, this will make you a better driver.

Hi Forum

I am considering canceling my order of a QuickSilver Model Y LR due to the lack of USS (UltraSonic Sensors) and radar (for ACC/Autopilot)...

I have had parking sensors on all the cars I have owned for over 20 years (VW/Alfa Romeo/Opel/Audi/Volvo) and even from a lot of lower price ranges. To me, the lack of parking sensors is unacceptable on a > 60K car and if you hear around I'm far from the only one who has a problem with this.

Aside of that, this Tesla Vision system (without radar/lidar/USS and only based on cameras) I still have yet to see work in conditions with poor visibility such as fog, snowfall, heavy rainfall. I just drove back from Austria in one of our cars, a Volvo XC60 from... 2011 (!)... with lidar and radar and the automatic cruise control (ACC) worked flawlessly in conditions of fog and heavy rainfall, even snowfall. How Tesla thinks to solve this through cameras alone is a complete mystery to me. And indeed, it seems Autopilot doesn't work in conditions with limited visibility.

In addition, the camera system replacing USS has a huge blind spot in the front of the car. i.e. an object that is too high for your bumper simply cannot be seen by the camera(s), so you will not receive any warnings ...

Many will disagree with me, but this is a show stopper for me driven only by cost savings rather than progress/improvement.

How does this company expects me to buy a car at a >60K price tag that has fewer features than one of my 11 year old cars with radar+lidar+USS that costed a lot less?

What's your advice? Cancel or put the order on hold?

Reactions: CWT3LR
Hi Forum

I am considering canceling my order of a QuickSilver Model Y LR due to the lack of USS (UltraSonic Sensors) and radar (for ACC/Autopilot)...

I have had parking sensors on all the cars I have owned for over 20 years (VW/Alfa Romeo/Opel/Audi/Volvo) and even from a lot of lower price ranges. To me, the lack of parking sensors is unacceptable on a > 60K car and if you hear around I'm far from the only one who has a problem with this.

Aside of that, this Tesla Vision system (without radar/lidar/USS and only based on cameras) I still have yet to see work in conditions with poor visibility such as fog, snowfall, heavy rainfall. I just drove back from Austria in one of our cars, a Volvo XC60 from... 2011 (!)... with lidar and radar and the automatic cruise control (ACC) worked flawlessly in conditions of fog and heavy rainfall, even snowfall. How Tesla thinks to solve this through cameras alone is a complete mystery to me. And indeed, it seems Autopilot doesn't work in conditions with limited visibility.

In addition, the camera system replacing USS has a huge blind spot in the front of the car. i.e. an object that is too high for your bumper simply cannot be seen by the camera(s), so you will not receive any warnings ...

Many will disagree with me, but this is a show stopper for me driven only by cost savings rather than progress/improvement.

How does this company expects me to buy a car at a >60K price tag that has fewer features than one of my 11 year old cars with radar+lidar+USS that costed a lot less?

What's your advice? Cancel or put the order on hold?
It is up to you really, nobody can tell you what to do or not. I am collecting my M3 tomorrow and I am really looking forward to it. I know, it has no USS. Had cars with USS, had cars without. Har cars with cameras and without, radar, lidar and what not. At the end of the day it is your personal opinion. I get your point, all that money without USS, it is kinda annoying. But if you are like me, I will make it without. You cannot get everything that you want in life (again, I understand your point). Up to you mate. I knew about USS and I haven't cancelled, time will tell if I have done the right thing or not.
I know I am not helpful, but at the end of the day, it is a personal choice. Many of us will say go for it, the others will say cancel it (secretly wishing that the car you cancelled will become theirs - just joking), we are not the ones driving your car.