Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Anyone else considering refusing delivery by of Model Y? (USS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't, but I've sent a bunch of very angry emails to Tesla since accepting mine. In fact they just replied telling me that its tough *sugar* and not to contact them again.
They really need to learn just how bad this is for their customer relations.

If you are happy with your M3 right now, it might be worth cancelling? I came from a 2015 model S I was sick of, so wasn't going to wait longer, plus I ordered a red performance, so it takes ages to get one of those and I didnt want to miss out. If your config is more common, then you may have nothing to lose?
Don't accept, contact Trading Standards and make sure anyone asking give your honest opinions and advise them to check comments on this forum. Unfortunately the vast majority of owners only join once they own the vehicle.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Unfortunately the vast majority of owners only join once they own the vehicle.

I've joined a binocular forum because I was about to treat myself to a nice pair of image stabilizing BINs ... model decided etc. etc. etc. then I started to read reviews and wondered if the (twice the price, twice as heavy) ones were a better buy ...

... forum users hate the ones I was going to buy ("Not true colour" - not sure I would notice that, but ...)

... and now I am massively data-overloaded and totally-confused and I haven't made that impulse purchase at all.

But I've got my eye on a spotting-scope and a nice tripod :) (The binoculars forum doesn't discuss them ... so that will be a new forum subscription ...)

If I could just find a shop selling both-as-a-set at a discount I'd be all-in :)

At the end of the day it is your choice. However just my two pence! - if you are rejecting because of park assist shambles then the reality is there is no shambles. I guess you’ve never had a Tesla before - it is defintley not like other cars that the only hifi feature is aerial view parking with beep sensors and AHB. It has many features and lots of interesting updates that can change the features and the look of the car completely (again it is like Marmite - some like it and some hate it). However, these are all side issues the main thing that Tesla got right from day 1 is its battery tech and the SuC network it has. There is very little from the competitors to challenge this though some forum members may strongly disagree with this. But that is Tesla’s real strength and - that is an understatement actually.
Of course it’s a shambles. Tesla have removed a paid for feature, often without notice, with no timeline for a replacement. There is no guarantee that the replacement will work adequately when it eventually arrives. That’s shambolic. Any other features of the car are completely irrelevant to this topic.

Tesla only get away with such contemptible practices because far too any people are prepared to defend the indefensible.

There is no guarantee that the replacement will work adequately when it eventually arrives.
I speak as someone happy with the car, even without USS but...

It should be apparent that any replacement based on current hardware will never reach parity in situations involving a very dirty rear camera or without any lower front cameras. In many situations even the word 'adequate' won't cut it either.

I'd suggest it's because people don't do basic research before handing over a wad of cash to sellers.
Now that we know what the next few years hold for Tesla and their putative customers - stripping out every basic amenity, every part Tesla considers superfluous such as stalks, cutting every corner they possibly can - they won't have people handing over wads of cash. Or at least, no-one sensible.

I speak as someone happy with the car, even without USS but...

It should be apparent that any replacement based on current hardware will never reach parity in situations involving a very dirty rear camera or without any lower front cameras. In many situations even the word 'adequate' won't cut it either.
The only way Tesla Vision park assist can work is if the car remembers things its seen as you've driven towards or away from somewhere, aka the "occupancy network" that is often championed by zealots.

This is because the front cameras have a 3ft blind spot at the front of the car, so can't see things immediately in front of it anyway, and the rear camera has a limited field of view so won't see things at the extremities of the car like the rear USS would.

Even in an absolute ideal scenario where the rear camera isn't dirty, or it's raining, or dark, or whatever, the car will need to have some kind of 3D environmental map stored - even after you've left the car and come back to it - to give anything remotely approaching ultrasonics assurance.

All of that is to say that - yes - it'll likely never reach parity except in a very narrow set of ideal operating conditions, much like the wipers.

• Helpful
Reactions: Drew57 and CWT3LR
.....The OP thinks it is a shamble - OP never had a Tesla - so the view of shambles must have come from reading forums etc., rather than a real experience....
I ran a lease M3 for 2 years through to November 2022 when I took delivery of the M3 I personally ordered in April 2022.

My car was delivered without USS. At no time before during or after delivery did Tesla mention this too me.

The removal of USS without replacing the functionality and Tesla apparently having absolutely no idea if or when this will be returned to cars is a complete and utter shambles IMHO.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and CWT3LR
I'd suggest it's because people don't do basic research before handing over a wad of cash to sellers.
Sorry do not not to agree with you, many of my neibours have Teslas and I asked over 10 individuals for their views. I had an initial test drive early September, followed by an extended test drive a week later after having looked at on line tutorials and familiarised myself with the controls. I tried nearly all the features in the 90 minute period, I could not try summons or park as it required the app and I was only given the card, but summons was demonstrated on another vehicle by the sales team. I was especially impressed with the USS as it actually showed distance in inches. I question the sale staff who I thought were very honest and did point out that FSD does require driver to be in control but if purchased software and any hardware (if required) would be added with constant improvements to autonomous future driving. At no time was there any pressure to sell and I believe true explanations was given.

A few weeks before taking delivery i was sent the vision disclaimer, but Tesla attached statement stated restrictions "for a short period of time" Having signed the disclaimer and having thought about it the following day I contacted Tesla Customer Services to cancel the vehicle. Over a number of telephone calls I was advised that the USS had been removed and that Vision far superior system which would replace the sensors and restored by over the air software. This would only be very short period of inconvenience whilst the software was released. Having some concerns I followed up my telephone conversation in writing and I was assured that Park, Park assist, Summons and Special summons would be available in the new year. Furthermore if I did cancel I would loose the vehicle and go to the back of the que.

Having both verbal and written assurances I proceeded with taking delivery of the Tesla Y.

Clearly I was not aware and maybe customer services persons were kept in the dark, but Tesla were fully aware that they were deceiving customers to get money and to avoid cancelation which would affect end of year sales statistics. I therefore believe that Tesla with full knowledge have acted dishonestly and they have a case to answer or deliver the goods which have been paid for in full.

I said in previous threads, every discontented customer is a negative public PR advert which gets passed on from one person to person, I am sure that this issue has caused or will cause Tesla problems, especially with Mercedes having acquired level three in some areas and Tesla facing competition for other EV vehicles, who inclinedly deliver the vehicle to specifications.

I would be happy to learn from your experience of what more I could have done, so that I can pass the information onto prospective customers.

The only way Tesla Vision park assist can work is if the car remembers things its seen as you've driven towards or away from somewhere, aka the "occupancy network" that is often championed by zealots.

This is because the front cameras have a 3ft blind spot at the front of the car, so can't see things immediately in front of it anyway, and the rear camera has a limited field of view so won't see things at the extremities of the car like the rear USS would.

Even in an absolute ideal scenario where the rear camera isn't dirty, or it's raining, or dark, or whatever, the car will need to have some kind of 3D environmental map stored - even after you've left the car and come back to it - to give anything remotely approaching ultrasonics assurance.

All of that is to say that - yes - it'll likely never reach parity except in a very narrow set of ideal operating conditions, much like the wipers
USS also have blindspots, both below and between the sensors.

Given no one has seen the new capability, and your car has USS, why just wind people up on this subject? I have sympathy for those waiting, particularly folks parking in big cities, but we really don't know what the new system will be like.

USS also have blindspots, both below and between the sensors.

Given no one has seen the new capability, and your car has USS, why just wind people up on this subject? I have sympathy for those waiting, particularly folks parking in big cities, but we really don't know what the new system will be like.
Perhaps people wouldn’t get so wound up if Tesla could provide an accurate timeline. Several months in and still no sign. “Coming soon” from Tesla fills no one with confidence.

Sorry do not not to agree with you, many of my neibours have Teslas and I asked over 10 individuals for their views. I had an initial test drive early September, followed by an extended test drive a week later after having looked at on line tutorials and familiarised myself with the controls. I tried nearly all the features in the 90 minute period, I could not try summons or park as it required the app and I was only given the card, but summons was demonstrated on another vehicle by the sales team. I was especially impressed with the USS as it actually showed distance in inches. I question the sale staff who I thought were very honest and did point out that FSD does require driver to be in control but if purchased software and any hardware (if required) would be added with constant improvements to autonomous future driving. At no time was there any pressure to sell and I believe true explanations was given.

A few weeks before taking delivery i was sent the vision disclaimer, but Tesla attached statement stated restrictions "for a short period of time" Having signed the disclaimer and having thought about it the following day I contacted Tesla Customer Services to cancel the vehicle. Over a number of telephone calls I was advised that the USS had been removed and that Vision far superior system which would replace the sensors and restored by over the air software. This would only be very short period of inconvenience whilst the software was released. Having some concerns I followed up my telephone conversation in writing and I was assured that Park, Park assist, Summons and Special summons would be available in the new year. Furthermore if I did cancel I would loose the vehicle and go to the back of the que.

Having both verbal and written assurances I proceeded with taking delivery of the Tesla Y.

Clearly I was not aware and maybe customer services persons were kept in the dark, but Tesla were fully aware that they were deceiving customers to get money and to avoid cancelation which would affect end of year sales statistics. I therefore believe that Tesla with full knowledge have acted dishonestly and they have a case to answer or deliver the goods which have been paid for in full.

I said in previous threads, every discontented customer is a negative public PR advert which gets passed on from one person to person, I am sure that this issue has caused or will cause Tesla problems, especially with Mercedes having acquired level three in some areas and Tesla facing competition for other EV vehicles, who inclinedly deliver the vehicle to specifications.

I would be happy to learn from your experience of what more I could have done, so that I can pass the information onto prospective customers.

In my opinion you've done everything a consumer could be reasonably expected to do in order to make an informed purchase. You tested the product, asked detailed questions, asked them to confirm, then confirm again in writing regarding the USS Vision replacement issue. You've quite reasonably trusted that the staff are competent, honest and accurate in their information. I don't think anyone can accuse you of not having done basic research.

The only thing more you could have done was to have joined a site like this months before your delivery and thoroughly familiarised yourself with the Tesla 'scene' and how the company operates. Then you would have known many things, like 'coming soon' is meaningless, that the staff in fact know less than you can find out yourself following a Tesla news blog, they'll make stuff up and arguably outright lie. But I don't think this level of research is really a reasonable expectation of a consumer!

I may just sound nosey now, but per my previous conversation with you, I'm still genuinely interested to get to the bottom of whether you bought EAP, or FSD? From your previous posts it certainly sounds like you might have been duped into buying FSD when all you really wanted was EAP by the same staff you thought were being honest and helpful, but who were in fact a bit full of *sugar*!

Reactions: CWT3LR
Perhaps people wouldn’t get so wound up if Tesla could provide an accurate timeline. Several months in and still no sign. “Coming soon” from Tesla fills no one with confidence.
This is one of the big issues for me.

'Soon', 'in the near future' etc are dimensionless and as such (especially given Tesla's poor repution in this regard) meaningless.

Tesla have been working on the replacement (Vision based) functionality for approaching a year (at a minimum) and are still resolutely refusing to give any meaningful indication of a timeline which is hugely frustration for many.

By Tesla's own admission, as one of this functionality is safety related.

It beggars belief that they can claim that they are driven by making the cars as safe as possible....and to achieve this, they remove safety features from thousands of cars for an indefinite period.