Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK centred discussion] The cat is out of the bag. True FSD will never happen for cars below HW4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one time my Tesla drove me home without any hands on the steering wheel...

Quite comfy really...

Screenshot_20230127_200055_Gallery.jpg

It also doesn't drive under water, off road, or on Mars, so yea, based on areas that no human should ever live, you have my confirmation.
Sure, but human driven cars don't drive there either. Not sure what point you're trying to make.

I'm sure the lovely people of Manhattan would take great offence at your comment. Would you like to insult the inhabitants of any other major city?

The videos of FSD Beta are pretty impressive to be honest in the US but still a long way to go. The issue I see is Tesla seem so focused on going right to the end goal and not moving forwards a step at time. Mercedes just got the first Level 3 approved car in Nevada, doesn't do everything but moves highway driving automation forwards a bit more.

Lots of gradual improvements, tested nicely and released would be nice for owners vs paying for FSD and having to wait until about 2040 to get it... On a new car as a 2023 car won't run it.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Sure, but human driven cars don't drive there either. Not sure what point you're trying to make.

I'm sure the lovely people of Manhattan would take great offence at your comment. Would you like to insult the inhabitants of any other major city?
My daughter lives in Manhattan and she would agree with @Zilla91

Btw, FSDb is not too bad navigating the streets of Manhattan, but it is a bit timid with all the aggressive pedestrians, bicyclists, and taxis jumping in front of it all the time. FSDb would work better if the Tesla would yell out "FU A**HOLE!" and flip the finger at other drivers while leaning on the horn...

Not really fair ... what snake oil? They are doing it right now, the cars will drive themselves, even on non-standard roads, and does fair handling edge cases, it just doesn't get all of them, which is why it's required to keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

Finished? No. Snake oil? Hardly.

Did Tesla promise autonomy in FSD's current form? Nope, not at all.

Also, please let us know where to find a crystal ball like yours to predict the future regarding HW4, thanks :rolleyes:
You are not in Kansas anymore. This is a UK forum. Your 'non standard' roads and ours are quite different. Have you driven an FSD Tesla on UK roads?

Yes it does, we have two and they both do just fine.

Manhattan? You mean where lines, lights, and lanes are just "suggestions" ... no doubt it will fail there ...
Have you ever been to the UK? You know the small island with a rather large population for the size of the country, hence lots of cars everywhere.

Vast amounts of our roads have no lines. Go a few inches to the left and you'd be going off the road, a few to the right with modern wide vehicles and you'll be knocking off wing mirrors with oncoming traffic. Cars parked on roads all over the place meaning lots of ducking in and out to try to make progress.

Also if you don't thank a driver for letting you out in some places because your car is driving and you aren't paying attention you might get rammed off the road and stabbed. They'll need to add a synthetic hand into the dash that can pop up to solve that one.

Manhattan is a walk in the park compared to some of the roads and places you'll come across here.

"The cost of retrofitting is quite significant so won't be economically feasible".

Listen in on the call from 29min here :
It's just another point of evidence that will go into a massive class action eventually. Presumably after regulators and some hungry politician decides to attack. Everyone will be offered a 100% refund of whatever they paid for FSD. The govt will impose some penalty, presumably a billion dollar or some irrelevant number.

I'm no apologist for the BS Musk has been shoveling for years, but I'd much rather a company makes stuff in the USA than have the government penalize entrepreneurs for BS. All commerce is some percentage of BS. Why do building contractors have a bond and insurance? Why are bank deposits FDIC insured? … because small or large, corporations tend to shovel a certain amount of BS … if it gets too high, there needs to be an alternative to having it hit the fan. So Tesla should go into the courts and get ordered to offer simple software license terms: 100% refund, 100% fungible with the vendor, i.e. you've bought a software license, you replace your computer, the damn software works on the new computer …

Meanwhile, Ford and GM have functional L2, and Mercedes has L3 approved in Nevada. Not that Nevada DMV has any code for autonomy (their laws assume driver liability) but the competitors are going through the regulatory paperwork … their lobbyists will be digging pitfalls for Tesla (e.g. I could see regulators adopting testing protocols devised by the manufacturers. All they'd have to do is include tests that require USS, radar and lidar …)

This is part of the ongoing SEC investigation about Musk's possible forward looking statements. There will be more stories like this until Tesla settles (like MSFT, APPL, XOM, and every other profitable business has in the past). Typical Bloomberg click bait and nothing new here...

What stands out is that purchasing TSLA instead of FSD would have clearly been the better choice...

Even if they wanted to release the FSDb here they couldn’t.

As we all know, it’s illegal to use in the U.K. and there isn’t any sign of that changing any time soon.

As much as Elons ‘end of the year’ promises have been complete BS, Tesla’s order page has always been clear in that it would be ‘where local laws permit it’. In the U.K., the laws don’t so we can’t really complain that we have not got it.

I would just love to see how FSD would act on the city streets in UK when it sees the double roundabout or when you have 2 lanes of traffic with the good and clear marking, but one lane is 60% parked with cars and you have to step over the line into upcoming traffic lane...

should be hilarious
I don't see FSD working well in the UK with HW3 or HW4. Some of those country roads are scary. Single track, blind corners with hedges on each side, backing up 200 yards for a lorry coming the other direction, etc. Not happening any time soon.

Even if they wanted to release the FSDb here they couldn’t.

As we all know, it’s illegal to use in the U.K. and there isn’t any sign of that changing any time soon.

As much as Elons ‘end of the year’ promises have been complete BS, Tesla’s order page has always been clear in that it would be ‘where local laws permit it’. In the U.K., the laws don’t so we can’t really complain that we have not got it.
I've yet to see any evidence they've applied to make it legal in the UK.

Not sure why they'd need to either if it's just another Level 2 system.

Reactions: CWT3LR and NewbieT
What musk should do is offer every tesla driver in the UK.. and probably Europe, temporary free FSD beta.
Then all he has to do is hoover up all the data to try make the tech better before bringing it to the market. At that point all "testers' should have the option to retain it for half price.