Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Northamptonshire and my Wallbox Pulsar Plus was installed last week by Crystal Electronics Ltd. I dealt with Jack Parsler (01933 226410).
They did a great job and I highly recommend.

Our install wasn't straight-forward, involved groundworks (all coordinated by Crystal) to bury the cable from the house across the driveway. The Wallbox has been installed to a stainless-steel post. The electrician also had the challenge of drilling through 500mm+ thick walls to get the cable to the meter/distribution boxes! We made the smart decision to have a second cable laid now for a second box to be installed next year. Hope that helps someone in the same area looking for an installer.
Thank you. From the same area as you, currently we are in the process of choosing the right charger and installer, in time for our Model Y delivery. So many to choose from. I was hoping to get a Tesla charger (I am a sucker for brands) but it seems like very few people actually go for it?

I'm on the Wirral - had my 10M Hypervolt fitted yesterday ready for my M3LR by Costelloes EV.

Fantastic experience, directed to them from the Hypervolt site, initial enquiry to fitted in 2 weeks but that was due to Christmas being in the way. Took 2 hours and you wouldn't even now they had been, super tidy install. No payment upfront, invoice handled online using QuickBooks/PayPal, certification received already. Highly recommended to anybody in the NW.

Reactions: hairysteve
We had the Hypervolt installed yesterday by Evolve Charging Solutions. Quick turn around, great comms from start to finish and a nice, neat job done. I'd highly recommend them for anyone in South Wales looking for a good installer.

Hypervolt.jpg

I didn't see a lot of advantage in a Tesla chargepoint even if you have a Tesla.

I'm looking at the now. It seems that the V3 wall connector still needs PEN Fault Detection to be installed? Some charging points, e.g. wallbox include this.

I will need to take the feed from my meter box and lay about 30m of cable to my garage. I think I will need a waterproof cabinet with at least RCCB. Does anyone else have something similar?

I'm looking at the now. It seems that the V3 wall connector still needs PEN Fault Detection to be installed? Some charging points, e.g. wallbox include this.

I will need to take the feed from my meter box and lay about 30m of cable to my garage. I think I will need a waterproof cabinet with at least RCCB. Does anyone else have something similar?
I got a Zappi v2 that includes its own PEN fault handling and RCD so no separate device or earth rod though I did add an extra surge protection device to protect the chargepoint and car.

A good installer will work out what needs doing and give you options and costs. It might turn out that adding or using a separate consumer unit in the garage is best, especially if your existing consumer unit is nearly full. I've got a separate new consumer unit and a cable run to the chargepoint of about 15m without problems. High power cables are generally better to run externally. Definitely go with professional advice, chargepoints seem technical and definitely not DIY.

I think most chargepoints are properly weather and waterproof but they'll cosmetically wear much more slowly if sheltered from rain and direct sun, especially if they have a screen.

Reactions: milesr3
I got a Zappi v2 that includes its own PEN fault handling and RCD so no separate device or earth rod though I did add an extra surge protection device to protect the chargepoint and car.

A good installer will work out what needs doing and give you options and costs. It might turn out that adding or using a separate consumer unit in the garage is best, especially if your existing consumer unit is nearly full. I've got a separate new consumer unit and a cable run to the chargepoint of about 15m without problems. High power cables are generally better to run externally. Definitely go with professional advice, chargepoints seem technical and definitely not DIY.

I think most chargepoints are properly weather and waterproof but they'll cosmetically wear much more slowly if sheltered from rain and direct sun, especially if they have a screen.
One factor for me was getting a charger that could use a timer to use cheaper overnight electricity rates as the Tesla model 3 scheduled charging only allows setting a start or stop time, not both. Gets more complicated with the newer tariffs change every half hour though.

One factor for me was getting a charger that could use a timer to use cheaper overnight electricity rates as the Tesla model 3 scheduled charging only allows setting a start or stop time, not both. Gets more complicated with the newer tariffs change every half hour though.
This is important as we are aiming to charge it much the same way (with Octopus), didn't know we could not set start and stop charging time directly from the car. Thanks for the tip

It might turn out that adding or using a separate consumer unit in the garage is best, especially if your existing consumer unit is nearly full.
That is a good idea! The consumer unit inside the house is quite full, and the meter box is closer to the garage so it makes sense to take the feed off the meter. I have a 100A supply.
Definitely go with professional advice, chargepoints seem technical and definitely not DIY.
Oh yes, I've been speaking to a local electrician about wiring up the wall box and he already pointed out that it would need a waterproof enclosure outside of the meter box for any additional fault protection and/or an earth rod. Just trying to work out what alternatives there might be to the Tesla V3 wall connector.

Ideally I would choose the dumbest charging point I could, because I don't want another app/card/whatever to operate it or need to connect to wifi/mobile and the car can manage the charging schedule. There are however better options, like your Zappi V2 with PEN and RCD protection that I would otherwise have to have installed.

The Tesla V3 charger is not the most expensive, has some DC protection and has tethered cable (which I prefer) but looks like it needs external PEN fault protection.

The Tesla V3 charger is not the most expensive, has some DC protection and has tethered cable (which I prefer) but looks like it needs external PEN fault protection.
Tesla's Gen3 charger will need PEN fault protection. I had one installed a couple of months ago, along with this (PEN protection) next to the garage sub-panel:
IMG_3542.jpg

The V3 charger is pretty dumb in standard trim, but I'm assured that at some future point (in Elon Time (yeah, right!)) it'll talk to my Tesla Powerwall/Gateway2 to avoid draining the Powerwall into the car battery.

In the meantime, the V3 charger connects to my WiFi and has enough internal smarts that I can run some home-brewed software to log the number of angry pixies shoved into the car.

If you don't need any of the above, the Tesla V3 Wall Connector is a decent cheap-iish dumb charger.

Steve

Reactions: milesr3
Hey! Got a delivery date of 16th feb for M3LR black with sorts wheels and enhanced auto pilot.

Can anyone recommend a home charger installer in the central Scotland area? Tesla website suggests a few, but always better to have a recommendation.

Thanks

I had Power Pac to install my pod-Point when I moved the house.

very good worksmanship and managed to setup everything as it should, even aligned with PodPoint at the time

Just did mine and that cost me around £100, with:

- 32 amp blue wall plug (32A Interlocked Socket and 32 Amp Plug 3 Pin 2PE 240v Blue Wall Mount IP44 Switched 32A Interlocked Socket and 32 Amp Plug 3 Pin 2PE 240v Blue Wall Mount IP44 Switched : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools).

- Tesla 32amp blue adapter for the mobile charger (Blue Adapter - 16A/32A)

-10mm Twin and Earth Electrical cable (can take up to 60amp) between the blue wall plug and the fusebox.

- added another 40 amp fuse in the fusebox (from screwfix for £5)

- Bear in mind that I already have an outside fuse box installed for my patio with a 63amp RDC .

Test it yesterday and I have been able to charge the M3 at 27 to 29 miles per hour

Attachments

• IMG_20220120_154006_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220120_154006_HDR~2.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20220120_154413_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220120_154413_HDR~2.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 66
Just did mine and that cost me around £100, with:

- 32 amp blue wall plug (32A Interlocked Socket and 32 Amp Plug 3 Pin 2PE 240v Blue Wall Mount IP44 Switched 32A Interlocked Socket and 32 Amp Plug 3 Pin 2PE 240v Blue Wall Mount IP44 Switched : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools).

- Tesla 32amp blue adapter for the mobile charger (Blue Adapter - 16A/32A)

-10mm Twin and Earth Electrical cable (can take up to 60amp) between the blue wall plug and the fusebox.

- added another 40 amp fuse in the fusebox (from screwfix for £5)

- Bear in mind that I already have an outside fuse box installed for my patio with a 63amp RDC .

Test it yesterday and I have been able to charge the M3 at 27 to 29 miles per hour
Type B RCD? Open PEN protection? Part P sign off? Also, did you confirm the supply capacity with the DNO? Perform a maximum demand calcualtion? Notify the installation to the DNO?

Last edited:
My consumer unit in the house is full, we used the last free spot I believe when we had the Kitchen redone last year. Does this mean that I will struggle to get a charger installed without the expense of an additional unit?

I was also tempted to go down the Commando socket route for out in the Garage, as posted above, but am I going to have the same issue?

My consumer unit in the house is full, we used the last free spot I believe when we had the Kitchen redone last year. Does this mean that I will struggle to get a charger installed without the expense of an additional unit?

I was also tempted to go down the Commando socket route for out in the Garage, as posted above, but am I going to have the same issue?
I'm pretty sure you will need a new consumer unit for a charge point, not sure about the commando route. I don't think it's a huge extra expense, the brand of charger you choose probably makes more difference to the price if you want to cut the cost. This consumer unit could also be used for future expansion. Perhaps worth asking for a larger unit if you think you may need to add more connections in future.

I also chose to add surge protection in my new consumer for a modest extra cost. Surges are uncommon but there are some reports of cars suffering expensive damage due to surges and uncertainty over where the liability rests when this happens.

(former) Moderator comment - whilst there is an official UK Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme authorised installers register, this sticky thread is for people to request recommendations and forum users to share their actual experiences with specific installers, good or bad.

Please be as specific with your recommendation as possible to allow people to be confident that when they engage with an installer that they will be getting a comparable level of service.

If discussing a regional or national company and/or franchise, please try and identify the particular installer, franchise or sub contractor. This should be mentioned on the regulatory paperwork or side of their vehicle. Not all installations from companies having different installers are handled to the same standard.

For charge point discussion, please use Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]