Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] For those that have ever owned FSD and resold/traded that vehicle in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Questions for those UK owners that have ever owned a Tesla with FSD option and subsequently traded that vehicle in.

Q. Do you know if your FSD option was ever transferred to the new owner?

I ask because, especially in states, if a FSD equipped vehicle has gone through the Tesla trade in/auction route, FSD has been stripped out.

Trying to work out if the same has occurred in the UK.

Q. If you traded your FSD vehicle into Tesla, did you ever see it readvertised with FSD, or as a stripped/downgraded to EAP/basic AP?

Curious if the number of full FSD equipped vehicles in UK is actually decreasing when vehicle is not in original owners hands.

Not talking about EAP here, unless the vehicle was originally FSD and ended up with EAP.

Do you know if your FSD option was ever transferred to the new owner?

I would expect it to be for a private sale.

If you traded your FSD vehicle into Tesla, did you ever see it readvertised with FSD, or as a stripped/downgraded to EAP/basic AP?

The MS I traded in (to Tesla) in 2019 was resold with FSD. However, more recently it looks like everything traded in has "zero options" / "re-purchase options if needed" (but I haven't checked that applies in all cases)

tesla-info.com might give you some data to compare?

Questions for those UK owners that have ever owned a Tesla with FSD option and subsequently traded that vehicle in.

Q. Do you know if your FSD option was ever transferred to the new owner?

I ask because, especially in states, if a FSD equipped vehicle has gone through the Tesla trade in/auction route, FSD has been stripped out.

Trying to work out if the same has occurred in the UK.

Q. If you traded your FSD vehicle into Tesla, did you ever see it readvertised with FSD, or as a stripped/downgraded to EAP/basic AP?

Curious if the number of full FSD equipped vehicles in UK is actually decreasing when vehicle is not in original owners hands.

Not talking about EAP here, unless the vehicle was originally FSD and ended up with EAP.
Speaking as someone from the United States I would assume if you traded into Tesla they would remove it so they can make more money. Private sale would be the way to go. The only downside (and I don't know what they do in Europe) US dealers use the trade in to lower the purchase price and thus a lower sales tax.
Being in computers for 45 years I think once you buy software you OWN it and it is yours to do with. Maybe the EU which has much stricter business standards than the Unites $tates might put a stop to it. Oh wait.....you're not in the EU anymore. Big mistake IMHO. With combined strength comes greater power. Then again who am I to talk with all the nut cases in this country spouting off all sorts of stupid things (you too Elon)

Speaking as someone from the United States I would assume if you traded into Tesla they would remove it so they can make more money. Private sale would be the way to go. The only downside (and I don't know what they do in Europe) US dealers use the trade in to lower the purchase price and thus a lower sales tax.
Being in computers for 45 years I think once you buy software you OWN it and it is yours to do with. Maybe the EU which has much stricter business standards than the Unites $tates might put a stop to it. Oh wait.....you're not in the EU anymore. Big mistake IMHO. With combined strength comes greater power. Then again who am I to talk with all the nut cases in this country spouting off all sorts of stupid things (you too Elon)
If Tesla buy the car they can do what they want. Private sale FSD stays. As for software ownership..if memory serves a copy of windows is only licenced for one machine and you're buying a licence to use it as opposed to real ownership

Reactions: Js1977
If Tesla buy the car they can do what they want. Private sale FSD stays. As for software ownership..if memory serves a copy of windows is only licenced for one machine and you're buying a licence to use it as opposed to real ownership

What if you build your own and trash/wipe the old one?

If it was bought with a licence for one machine then you're in breach of licence... not that anyone bothers tracking it but there is some software that needs authenticating with encrypted HDD or other PC validation. Then it's down to licence terms as to what happens with component changes.
You are there about correct but there are some deviations. OEM vs Retail licensing with the latter having more leeway specially if its a total new rebuild.

In the old days, OEM PC's actually came with two licences (when they had the licence sticker on the chassis). The one on the sticker was actually unused and you could build another machine with it :)

Reactions: pgkevet
I wish FSD was linked to the Tesla account or driver. I’d be it with my eyes closed. I expect lots of people would.
I had FSD with my 2019 M3, traded up for a Model Y and did not purchase it again.

Would be great if it was linked to the account, but money is money, and Tesla unfortunately can make more this way.

Maybe in a decade I'll reconsider my stance, but in hindsight of the original ordering of the model 3 and 'excitement of owning a tesla!', I'm going to let others be pay to beta test autonomous driving, and stick to traffic aware cruise control, and occasional use of summon (godsend for tight parking spots).

Subjective to each car owner!

Do you know if they were previously FSD vehicles that had been downgraded?

When I was looking this year a lot of their used stock had EAP, much more than I’d have expected.
If you look at current inventory there are new cars with FSD and EAP.....and $7500 off. Don't know what they're doing. It's almost like an "Everything Must Go" sale

When i traded my 3 in for a Y, I had a whinge about not being able to transfer FSD to the Y and was told the trade in offer made allowance for FSD on the 3.

whether that is true, I don’t know.
This was brought up a year or two ago. Tesla never used to account for FSD as they claimed it didn’t cost them anything. However, it was put to Musk who stated they would start adding a consideration for FSD on trade-in cars. How much that is, no idea. Really, it should be the full amount paid for it, but there’s no chance of that happening!

Reactions: mick4545
It would cost Tesla nothing to transfer FSD to a new purchase, as anyone who initially had it would never get stung again by paying again would they?

having said that, I have bought EAP for the Y which I’m generally happy with.