Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The juxtaposition of this and "Matrix headlights - Finally?" thread is just the chef's kiss.

No, not finally. No.
People are so trusting, it's both endearing and depressing in equal measure. You can see why Tesla sells so many cars, I mean they are great in different ways but they also really take the p*** and get away with it.

People paid outright for the roadster 2 - think it was 175k or more… and people are speculating that will never be built as it was a MS in a prettier 2 door frock. Imagine how you’d feel if you did that 4 years ago?!
If people are stupid enough to give Tesla £175k cash to sit on, knowing full well their track record of promising stuff and delivering it years later, if at all, then more fool them tbh.

Reactions: H43lio
Now that my RHD Model X is a vintage collectible, I shall await the dead cat bounce on used prices 😅

In the meantime this is on order....

N4IgpgdgbglgTgewgW0gFxALlDAJlkAWQQFcI0BDGCEAGhDQAsTkAjAYQuQICEBlAPrskAMxgBzAQFEAHmgEAxROQEBmACwDUFAM4k4YVOR0gAvvQDGXMHApYc+TCH5DRE6XMXL5ACQmMvJHkNLTBdfUN0E3o0AE8ABzAsAG0QWQx6ABVmNggqABsQAF1zEAs3cXsQPAIpABkpTIAlKToQBHi0GCQTbDKKlJB8rlZcCgBaKzhJivGKCy6oMDmbBHH4+YBrNuG2McmKafKIMXED-JhEuB0Z-IRp8QNIHZH9qZmTiVv78cewZ-ou1GE3ex1O4zAAEcSJc5vAXnsQYcPuCoTD4h80Ih8usbCJ7sgKBALMtNjAMkNXkijrM0bCwPkwAs4DALOM0AgAO6sQ4I4EHGmfM50jE2ZD4QFUgUor4i8aMBCocYXCDbSWI6Vg2XQ2HxXD5Cx8t7IrXCuQ2bpHQ6sJDjMSsGzrLYUcRgACMRupMrOIm8yoQ4jWsQZd0541YwwsaspGtBs2YrHGyAQuAZ4wAkjoKPNxgAmXPjVQQkiezWzahoC0-KY2iB2mAO6YQBBMaiVdX8uNC8YVqvTC7iRhdCDtmOdk3l8h99mMSJJl0QMBdSulrvg4a4eWciYbKOrifdwmVlkUHHQ0-k2LjPLxDb7wXgxJjHE6GD5JZwe-e8YGZG7DGcvcm6EnAmw3BGWxfqaP5hNM8QslA8xXuIww6NEY7Gg+XxZiIS5Xg6+RoOGkabOMOhYpcSQdph346GEaA3GISxkZQEBjHAm5gCW1FetBr75Di8TDJW4wNAAIlBszkf8cCcrOabsaRjIUEwjqBvkEoYbxsxdAYLFEuxmmED4AAKAhNAIJkAILsAA0m0xlmQAqrZAiEFZTS2Y0xSmKURIwEe3QQL0yQlEAA

N4IgpgdgbglgTgewgW0gFxALlDAJlkAWQQFcI0BDGCEAGhDQAsTkAjAYQuQICEBlAPrskAMxgBzAQFEAHmgEAxROQEBmACwDUFAM4k4YVOR0gAvvQDGXMHApYc+TCH5DRE6XIEAJCYwEAlMAo4NU1tPQMjNBN6NABPAAcwLABtEFkMegAVZjYIKgAbEABdcxALN3F7EDwCKQAZKSz-KToQBAS0GCQTbHLK1JACrlZcCgBaKzhJyvGKCy6oMDmbBHGE+YBrNuG2McngmYgxcQOCmCS4HRmChGnxA0gdkf2po5Obu-GHsCf6XdGEzeFWOEnGYAAjiQLnN4M89kDDiCPpDoQkjmhEAV1jYRHdkBQIBZlpsYJkhi9EdNkWDUTCwAUwAs4DALOM0AgAO6sYLwwEHamzOnomzIfD-SkC960qEwxgIVDjc4QbYShFSmmnYXrXAFCx815IoVyGzdanBVhIcZiVg2dZbCjiMAARgNVOlpxEyjQSoQ4jWcQZt0541Ywwsqop6uBs2YrHGyAQuAZ4wAkjoKPNxgAmbPjVTgkhujWzahoU1fKaWiDWmC26YQBBMahVNX8mOg05livTc7iRhdCCtqPto2d8bdllfJiGZYE8QQMBdcvFjsfYa4caMTkTDYR1djj4E8ssijYqFnslxcb5BIbA+C8dJMbYnQwApLOAPj3jAyHXbopydybgScCbNcYZbN+mq-kE0wJCyUDzNe4jDDoMQjoaj4fBmIhLtetoFD6kERuMOiYhcyRtlhP46EE0S1ksZGUBAYxwJuYBFtR7owW+BTYgkwzluMjQACLQbM5G-HAnKML82JsZsSr0XJ9wIAU4qYTxsxdAYzGEmxmmEF4AAKAQCCZACC7AANJtMZZkAKo2QIhCWf4NlNCUphlISMDHt0EC9CkpRAA
Haha - I've had this same configuration saved for a few weeks and just paid my deposit after getting the email this morning! Did you go for the R? I was swithering but decided I wanted power over range!

• Funny
Reactions: Sean.
If people are stupid enough to give Tesla £175k cash to sit on, knowing full well their track record of promising stuff and delivering it years later, if at all, then more fool them tbh.

Loads of people stumped up the deposit for an M3 when it was launched (from memory that also included some old-fashioned queue in line outside Tesla stores ...). That took a while to come ... RHD even longer. People assumed that their car would be made-to-order in reservation-sequence.

I skipped the get-in-line reservation, placed an order when the RHD order book opened and (as luck would have it) had one of the very first ones into the country. I think the complaining about reservation-order-delivery has died down? 🤷‍♂️

I expect people waiting for Roadster 2 have got their refundable deposit back ... which is maybe what Tesla needed, if it has turned out that the Roadster needs a higher sticker price ...

Would be interested to see someone buying a LHD model and converting it to RHD....

That thought had crossed my mind too ... no idea what is involved though

never driven a left hand drive car in the U.K. can’t imagine it’s a great experience. Anyone have much experience? The email doesn’t even say they will honour the order price. 3 years of free supercharging isn’t a great incentive to be honest. A6 etron or Eletre look like decent options.
Me neither but I can imagine the fun of having to reverse around a fast food drive through if on your own so you can pay and grab your food would be fun. Also things like car parks where you need to get a ticket, etc. unlikely can reach all the way over so you’d have to stop and get out. Annoying all the people behind you for being an idiot by buying a LHD model in the UK.

God damn it. Still if they have a chance for a test drive I want to do that and see.

• Funny
Reactions: H43lio
Loads of people stumped up the deposit for an M3 when it was launched (from memory that also included some old-fashioned queue in line outside Tesla stores ...). That took a while to come ... RHD even longer. People assumed that their car would be made-to-order in reservation-sequence.

I skipped the get-in-line reservation, placed an order when the RHD order book opened and (as luck would have it) had one of the very first ones into the country. I think the complaining about reservation-order-delivery has died down? 🤷‍♂️

I expect people waiting for Roadster 2 have got their refundable deposit back ... which is maybe what Tesla needed, if it has turned out that the Roadster needs a higher sticker price ...

That thought had crossed my mind too ... no idea what is involved though
I am sure that is overly complicated, expensive but doable.

Maybe a YouTuber who could interpret it to a series of videos (and income of course).

Was on the list for an S and and X (Plaid for both) and have been for about 2 years. This is incredibly disappointing.

Think we'll now get a Lucid Air or Taycan and then maybe an Eletre or Lucid Gravity (depending on when it launches).

I saw a Lucid Air in California a few months ago. It's gorgeous.
Except it’s even less likely we get a RHD Lucid.

Reactions: Leytonstone
Not even got the email about them cancelling. I only put my deposit in on the 7th of May. Car still shows on Tesla account with no notification of anything.

Is this email only for people that pre-ordered when Tesla had a price for the car listed vs when I ordered which was £100 down and we've no date and no price for you?

Reactions: tdjohn
Haha - I've had this same configuration saved for a few weeks and just paid my deposit after getting the email this morning! Did you go for the R? I was swithering but decided I wanted power over range!
Perhaps it was preproduction, but the Carwow video didn’t seem very promising. Apart from the fit and perceived quality, not sure I‘d swap the MS Raven performance for it. Given the battery capacify and the size of the beast - unlikely to match the efficiency and range. Even with 900bhp, wasn’t particularly quick. The back seat looks nice, but not as much storage space though pretty close. I’ll wait for a test drive.

Last edited:
I know Tesla is finding it hard to get enough engineering staff to design their new models and make all the cost reductions to the Modal y/3 production. I expect it can't be justified using such a limited resources on a car that will only sell a few thousand.

Only a fraction of those who ordered a RHD will bite on the LHD offer is my guess.

As they approach the quarter they’ll drop prices. LHD for RHD markets should be inherently cheaper and Tesla know that but they will try it on first.

It does make me wonder if the refreshed Model 3 performance closes the gap between the Plaid and M3P, for RHD markets.
To be fair I don't need a car the size of a Model S. The size of the 3 is good for me but bigger cars just ride nicer and the S has air suspension. Still if they bring the carbon wrapped rotors to the 3 on the Performance Model and maybe a slightly bigger battery pack to drive those motors to a higher power output they could say they've brought Ludicrious speed to the 3.