Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Pricing piss take

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla have decided to make their cars more affordable around the planet.

Except for us idiots in the UK. Who are currently paying nearly £5K more for an entry model 3 than they do in Germany.

Oh and the cherry on top is higher finance interest rates.

I love the cars, but this 'take customers for fools' policy Tesla UK is pursuing is beginning to really annoy me.

It's a free market buy something else is the normal retort to the above complaint. Sadly I've yet to find a viable alternative when factoring in range, efficiency, tech etc etc.

Sigh !!

Don't even look at the US prices after the tax credits....£36.5k for a MY Performance FFS once the tax credit are factored in. Even without it's £42k.
PLUS tax, document fees, delivery fees and registration. Of course there is also the £7500 government incentive you already mentioned.

Bringing in a car from outside the EU into the EU/UK adds another 10% tax plus the cost to ship it here.

Reactions: boombap
Except for us idiots in the UK. Who are currently paying nearly £5K more for an entry model 3 than they do in Germany.
There was so much backlash the last time they lowered prices in the UK that they may be reluctant to do it again.

I'd certainly expect very low to 0% interest at some point shortly once the initial M3H orders are out of the way - and discounts for inventory vehicles.

So Tesla have decided to make their cars more affordable around the planet.

Oh and the cherry on top is higher finance interest rates.

I love the cars, but this 'take customers for fools' policy Tesla UK is pursuing is beginning to really annoy me.

It's a free market buy something else is the normal retort to the above complaint. Sadly I've yet to find a viable alternative when factoring in range, efficiency, tech etc etc.

Sigh !!
This is why it still costs more here.

Presumably of the ones that are close they are as expensive or more expensive than the equivalent Tesla?

The price in any given market is what the manufacturer feels it is willing to bear. I pay about ~£2 a month for TIDAL via a VPN, when it is £10.99 direct from the UK. Exactly the same content.

If I were in the market right now I'd hold off buying to see if price drops follow in a days to weeks. If they don't - then it is what it is I'm afraid.

Our previous car was bought via a broker and was effectively a Dutch order of a RHD car but first registered in UK and collected/paid for from a large UK dealership.

Nothing at all to know that it was not a UK order other than the pre order paperwork/build schedule.

Can’t remember what we saved other than a trim upgrade and loads of options were more than covered by the saving. I’m guessing somewhere in the 10-20% bracket for 0 effort other than a phone/no dealer order which was pretty unique in those days - a little like Teslas is today but over the phone rather than online.

There was so much backlash the last time they lowered prices in the UK that they may be reluctant to do it again.

I'd certainly expect very low to 0% interest at some point shortly once the initial M3H orders are out of the way - and discounts for inventory vehicles.
Backlash because we like paying higher prices? Indeed they should know we love to be bent over and rogered when we purchase anything 😉

But yes I know you mean residuals but they are already impacting these in other markets and the UK isn't special here, why would they care to protect our residuals all of a sudden but no where else?

Clearly sales aren't quite as bad here as they are in other countries. I also think as you mention they'll move to a lower APR rate first.

There's also less competition here by the way. Europe has a lot of LHD Chinese cars we don't get. US has a lot of LHD cars we don't get.

Last edited:
This definitely isn’t a new thing as I imported a Golf from the Netherlands back in 2001 and saved nearly £5k on the UK price and it wasn’t as if the Dutch dealership was losing money on the deal. I guess sales are holding up in the UK so there’s no incentive for Tesla to cut prices.

The term “Rip Off Britain” has been around for decades - long before Brexit.
I can't remember a time when European and even UK built cars were not more expensive than in "Benelux." However, tax on cars in Scandinavia makes them very expensive so pretax they used to be the cheapest. 🤔Not sure of the relevance of this😊.
What I am sure of is the impact of lowering Tesla Y prices on the residual value of earlier adopters' cars😢.

EV prices still have a ways to go down. As the battery price goes down, the car can drop with it. Tesla go to great lengths to reduce other cost out of the car so they can mask the expense of the battery plus still make a nice margin.

You’d assume if the battery can truly drop low enough, an EV should be far cheaper than an ICE. Especially a stripped out Tesla.