Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks, im new so thats really interesting.
do you have a certain amount of time to get back to your car and move it when it reaches the desired charge level (sounds like your phone alerts you that its done or close?)

also, a question i posted in another thread but had reply..... i keep hearing about SC sites getting very busy at times and queues.....do people queue properly or do people jump in?
some sites (like bluewater in essex) the bays are off a single lane road so you couldnt queue in line or you would block the road hence you would have to park in a space nearby and wait but others dont know who is waiting?
in other sites are there queue lines painted or do people just get on with it nicely?
Tesla have a useful write-up here: Supercharging

In a situation where idle fees could be applied (50% or more of bays in use) you have 5 minutes to move your car once charging is completed. You get plenty of app notifications that this is happening, but if you're in an area with poor phone signal it's sensible to make a note of how long the car thinks the charge will take if you're going to leave it*

Just to be clear on the 80% limit, this is applied to "high usage" sites but it's not a hard limit, you can bump it up manually if you want to (there are plenty of scenarios where you might need a higher charge). The idea is to nudge people to move on as soon as possible to free up the bays for others, and act as a reminder that charge rates slow down significantly as the battery fills up. You are informed about this on the charge screen when you plug in. Idle fees can apply to any site but the high usage limit appears to be only applied to certain sites.

I'm not aware of any formal arrangements for queueing at UK Supercharger sites (in the US I believe they sometimes send a shepherd out to busy sites at peak times/holidays). I haven't seen any issues reported on forums so I assume drivers are civil and folk waiting will charge in turn. Once at Gretna I missed a space because I was circling round to repark opposite and someone else arrived just as a bay became free. On that occasion I just waited until another bay freed up (10 minutes as it turned out) as I didn't want the bother of explaining/convincing the other driver that I'd been there before them!

*if you start charging with a cold battery or are sharing a pair with another car, be aware that your charge rate could increase and the session might then finish earlier than initially predicted.

• Informative
Reactions: tj333
Based on photos on the UK owner's Facebook group I'd say there are 6 charger cabinets = 12 stalls and the location is towards the southwest corner of the hotel carpark, approx coordinates (51.88070, 0.788900). As @DJP31 says the photos clearly show labelling on the charge units indicating they are 135 kW Supercharger II (i.e. current V2 generation) cabinets and the site name is "Colchester".

I'd pop a note to Supercharge.info but it now seems to be blocked by the office firewall!

Based on photos on the UK owner's Facebook group I'd say there are 6 charger cabinets = 12 stalls and the location is towards the southwest corner of the hotel carpark, approx coordinates (51.88070, 0.788900). As @DJP31 says the photos clearly show labelling on the charge units indicating they are 135 kW Supercharger II (i.e. current V2 generation) cabinets and the site name is "Colchester".

I'd pop a note to Supercharge.info but it now seems to be blocked by the office firewall!
This site is definitely now being installed, with the cabinets in place and cables emerging from the ground. Reckon it won’t be long.

Reactions: cezdoc
Tesla have a useful write-up here: Supercharging

In a situation where idle fees could be applied (50% or more of bays in use) you have 5 minutes to move your car once charging is completed. You get plenty of app notifications that this is happening, but if you're in an area with poor phone signal it's sensible to make a note of how long the car thinks the charge will take if you're going to leave it*

Just to be clear on the 80% limit, this is applied to "high usage" sites but it's not a hard limit, you can bump it up manually if you want to (there are plenty of scenarios where you might need a higher charge). The idea is to nudge people to move on as soon as possible to free up the bays for others, and act as a reminder that charge rates slow down significantly as the battery fills up. You are informed about this on the charge screen when you plug in. Idle fees can apply to any site but the high usage limit appears to be only applied to certain sites.

I'm not aware of any formal arrangements for queueing at UK Supercharger sites (in the US I believe they sometimes send a shepherd out to busy sites at peak times/holidays). I haven't seen any issues reported on forums so I assume drivers are civil and folk waiting will charge in turn. Once at Gretna I missed a space because I was circling round to repark opposite and someone else arrived just as a bay became free. On that occasion I just waited until another bay freed up (10 minutes as it turned out) as I didn't want the bother of explaining/convincing the other driver that I'd been there before them!

*if you start charging with a cold battery or are sharing a pair with another car, be aware that your charge rate could increase and the session might then finish earlier than initially predicted.
Thanks so much!
Really helpful!
Will check the link too!

Someone just posted 1hr ago on the TOGUK facebook group that they are all up and running again

This was Wokingham SC just before lunchtime on Thursday, a colleague had mentioned they weren’t working Wed afternoon so popped in there on way past to see, and 3 cars were happily charging away

E43E7B62-608A-474D-996C-1A43FD2E0741.jpeg

Reactions: CMc1
Not sure on its authenticity, but theres a screenshot doing the rounds stating Tesla will start invoicing for auxiliary usuals (heating etc) while charging and not just battery top ups. So your usual top up, might cost a little more on a SuC in the near future.

can’t believe they don’t already tbh...

see below...

Changes to Supercharger Billing

Reactions: poolmeds
After a Sunday drive today A1 south to South Mimms SC, maxed out (again). On route to west London, so stopped at the new Park Royal Supercharger, lots of spare capacity (great!) but there's a lot of coffee cups and McDonalds rubbish all over the carpark as there's no bin - that's pretty disgusting and disrespectful of the Tesla drivers.
Back home later, South Mimms had a queue of 4 Teslas which I've never seen before, it looked chaotic.

I hope Chandlers Cross comes online soon, really needed.

A year ago Tesla staff told me there were plans to extend South Mimms towards Starbucks. Nothing's happened to date, hope it does - much needed....

Reactions: CMc1 and ringi
After a Sunday drive today A1 south to South Mimms SC, maxed out (again). On route to west London, so stopped at the new Park Royal Supercharger, lots of spare capacity (great!) but there's a lot of coffee cups and McDonalds rubbish all over the carpark as there's no bin - that's pretty disgusting and disrespectful of the Tesla drivers.
Back home later, South Mimms had a queue of 4 Teslas which I've never seen before, it looked chaotic.

I hope Chandlers Cross comes online soon, really needed.

A year ago Tesla staff told me there were plans to extend South Mimms towards Starbucks. Nothing's happened to date, hope it does - much needed....
Could be pedestrians littering on their way past...?

On route to west London, so stopped at the new Park Royal Supercharger, lots of spare capacity (great!) but there's a lot of coffee cups and McDonalds rubbish all over the carpark as there's no bin - that's pretty disgusting and disrespectful of the Tesla drivers.

It really is a pain to come across this kind of thing. I've got an innovative approach to litter, especially if I have time to kill nowadays ... I pick it up! Hopefully some of the Tesla drivers waiting for their charge to complete might do the same and also notify whoever is on site that they need to sort out the bin situation.

[QUOTEI pick it up![/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more, I raised my kids not to be litter louts and if they see a mess to pick up (at least) 10 items of litter. When they were young, we carried a carrier bag in our car specifically for rubbish that accumulated en route and so we were able to add other peoples litter if there were no bin to empty it into.

It's a bit like the EV thing - primarily I wanted to help reduce pollution with a side effect being a marvellous motor car. There are many people out there that have no conscience where social responsibility is concerned and it is up to the rest of us to endeavour to cancel out their bad ways.

Just my two pennyworth!

If you look on WB it says they have been working with ecotricity since 2011, I wonder if they had a 10 year exclusivity clause at some sites that will be a ding next year?
And maybe hence the decline of maintaining their chargers at these spots (LFE)? Although they still need these as other manufactures can not use the Tesla SuC's

Side note - there is a new Ecotricity 50kw unit on the A50 west bound just before the junction A6 to derby that was installed early December (And typical Ecotricity, this is not working either since the end of December!)