TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ultra high fidelity sound?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by pchan, Feb 7, 2016.

1. pchan

pchan Member

Any thoughts on the upgraded sound system? :confused:

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

There are about 100 other threads on this. Basically, some like it and some don't. The ones who do mostly listen to lossless music from the thumb drive. The ones who don't get a Reus upgrade (or similar).

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

since I am used to custom audio installs (aka, "real premium systems"), the Model S premium system is a real waste of money for $2500. I wouldn't even say "IMO" on it, this is a real fact. lol You will get MUUUUUUUCHHHHHHH better value for your money going aftermarket. One thing a lot of people miss or dont understand (its not like its documented anywhere), is that Tesla's "premium" upgrade takes the standard system, and simply adds another amp and a few more speakers to it. IT DOES NOT CHANGE OR UPGRADE THE STANDARD SPEAKER SYSTEM. Those are still there. So you're $2500 is paying for about 5 more speakers and a little amp. it's pathetic really. put your money towards an aftermarket system. it will sound 1000x better than tesla's premium system for the same price.

4. pvogel

pvogel Member

I think you are referring to the Model S. Model X premium sound has yet to be compared to ModelX standard sound since all the cars off the line so far have been sigs with UHFS.

The speaker count is up significantly from the standard sound and was apparently custom designed in Germany for the X. That doesn't mean going after market wouldn't beat it, but how does an aftermarket system work with the screen-based audio controls? Not to mention the fact that most systems are designed to work in the acoustic environment of an ICE car and an EV is very different (quieter, but with far more likelihood of high-frequency electrical noise).

5. Kalud

Kalud Member

I'm not saying that the 2500 is right or that you can't get better for that money.

BUT

The difference between with or without the premium sound is huge IMHO. I've had loaner without and the sound was weak. I'm glad I've got the upgrade and frankly would not want to go aftermarket for many reasons (warranty, potential issues with wiring down the road, and even just having to get the stuff installed). The sounds is pretty good already (with the premium) and weak without.

6. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

well you're right, i didn't notice this thread was in the Model X sub forum. That being said, I would expect it to be something along the same lines of a difference between the standard and premium packages.

7. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

All reports of the X UHF system is that it is a huge improvemnet over the upgraded system in the S.

It's true that no customers have Yet done a proper comparison between the standard and the upgraded system in the X.

8. pvogel

pvogel Member

I was trying to find the article, but in 5 minutes of looking with Google I couldn't find it, I read it a few months ago. S1NN (owned by Harmon) did the audio system design for the X (9 speakers in the base unit, 17 or 24 in the UHFS (I can't recall, I seem to remember reading 24 when I got it in my config)) they also did the design for the high fidelity system in the S, but, unlike the S, they had a real prototype X to work with to do the design for where audio is absorbed and reflected to optimize the sound.

• Like x 1
  9. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Found the link. It's in this thread...

Model X Sound System

Check that. The link to sinn seems to be a dead end now. The article linked just mentions that Tesla designed the system in house.

10. pvogel

pvogel Member

Yeah. That's not the article.

11. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Realised that after I posted. Thanks. Should have read the links first. My apologies.

12. pchan

pchan Member

Thanks for the info!

Buying a model x is such an 'interesting' experience. Back in the old days (4 years ago) when I bought a Porsche Cayenne S for $90k, I was properly greeted, had a bottle of water/coffee, sat in and test drove a demo car, then promptly updated about the status of the vehicle .... Now, for $135k, I have never seen the car in real life, never spoke with a person, and I just did the most expensive online order I have ever made. No one tell me anything about all these options, and no one bother to update me with anything after the confirmation. I basically found out everything about this car (such as secret 'charger' option) in this forum. All of you have been great! I feel like I am treated much better by ordering on Amazon than this ... At least I got a email when my order have been shipped ...

• Like x 1
  13. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

When I drove in the Model X at the reveal I thought the sound system was great, I assume the unit I rode in had the upgraded system. Although it could have been that I was on Tesla cool aid that night.

14. pvogel

pvogel Member

Yep. That was upgraded sound. All the founders cars were effectively "loaded" though I think Ludicrous was an option.

15. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Welcome to the club!

16. shive

shive Member

As an owner of upgraded stereo systems on both the S and the X, I can unequivocally state that the quality in the X is leaps beyond the S. The soundstage is better defined to say the least. I'm not sure anyone knows the difference between the standard and hi-fidelity upgrade other than Tesla itself. Since a few production models are now making their way to owners, I'm sure we will have an answer to that question soon enough.

17. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation!

18. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

I'm picky and have had plenty of aftermarket high end stereo experience and the uhf for 2500 is a reasonable value. The marginal improvement that an aftermarket set up might get ( which I doubt wld be significant) isn't likely worth the expense and especially headache of install and risk of more headaches of complicated installs gone wrong.

19. Redshift

Redshift Member

Somewhere in the forum, I saw that someone said that using high quality source material made a big difference in the quality of the audio output. Does anyone have any recommendations for high quality source material, something like a Toccata and Fugue in D minor?

20. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

We played FLAC files from a USB stick on the three hour drive home yesterday at 7 and 8. Best audio in a car I have ever experienced. But my experience is limited. Did not regret the purchase.

My only issue is that I have not embedded the album image in my music files. I just have a folder.jpg in each album folder. The images showed up when listing the albums, but not during track playback. Need to do some investigation on this.