Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WINNIE.....shouldnt the SC be able to tell you on the spot if you update to a 75 if you are eligible? I mean its only a software battery unlock and it wont change the vin# or any part numbers??? seems they should be able to tell you if you have a 60d that you need to update to the 75d and then you will be eligible OR NOT....
Well SC searches the VIN in the database. So they only know whether it’s eligible and not the details. As I mentioned before if you unlock battery does the VIN database update instantly? If not, how long? The SC can’t guarantee anything because they check the VIN from a database that may or may not update...

Ok so, I went ahead and called Tyson's Corner to check eligibility. Said the car (60D) 149xxx July '16 isn't eligible. He went ahead to say that the 60D and the 75D (pre-July '17) are completely different cars/batteries, that the 60D can't handle it, compared it to putting a turbo on a.. something. This is pretty laughable and blatantly false, as the damn car ordered as a 60D IS a 75D battery with a software lock on range. I almost think he was referencing the old nosecone 60s. Anyway, I countered with this, as well as the fact others who've upgraded from 60>75 have been receiving the upgrade. After that, he got mysterious about not being able to divulge too much about the cars, insulted the forum (I thought of you right away @wk057 as well as other experts here including the guys who blew open countergate, and shook my head) and declared himself and Tesla (service techs) as the true experts on the car. Pretty frustrating and I wasn't about to argue about it, as the guy was otherwise cool and courteous.

He also stated that others have paid the 75 unlock fee and were still ineligible after, and that it's a gamble on my end if I wanna try to find out. Unreal....

PS. It wasn't Michael, the guy everyone's buying lunch for. (Maybe that's the issue)

They told me I was eligible. I bought a 60D and took delivery end of July 2016. I upgraded to the 75D a few months back when it went to $2,000. I have an appointment in the morning and should have it back by this time tomorrow. VIN ...1478xx

Tesla Priorities

1. Sell more Model S and X (new revenue)
2. Fulfill Model 3 orders (new revenue - less margin than 1)
3. New product lines (new revenue)
4. Fulfill promises of autonomous driving (market differentiation, customer satisfaction, new revenue)
5. Service cars in the fleet (customer satisfaction, market reputation)
500 AP2 autopilot development (I argue this is bug fixing)
501 Fix the browser (bug fixing)
502 Lack of rain sensing wipers in AP2 (bug fixing)
503 More and more bug fixing
1001 Upgrade current Model S/X 75's (low effort, customer satisfaction)
1002 Upgrade current software limited Model S/X 60's/70's upon upgrade to 75 (low effort, new revenue, customer satisfaction)
1003 Enhance AP1 (high effort, customer satisfaction)

I argue 1002 is higher priority than 1001 because it is new revenue BUT if you support 1002 by definition you support 1001. So I'm guessing they are trying to hold back the tide. Tesla is in the unique position of having more business than it knows what to do with so it is having to throttle everything. For example, I'm not sure they are all that interested in selling more model 3's at this time.

I like to assume Tesla is following the Kano model for prioritizing their R&D (Kano Model Analysis: Delivering Products That Will Delight)

Kano-Model_v1.png

So I just rang to check if my 70D (with 75D upgrade option was eligible) and was told that only vehicles currently 75D are eligible

I mentioned that owners who had purchased the battery upgrade were subsequently eligible and was told "sometimes people on forums lie so I wouldn't put much stock in that" haha

I find that, like people in life, some Tesla employees are totally awesome and on the ball and know what they are talking about and some are just total uninformed jerks. I mentioned that I read something on TMC to one Tesla employee the other day and she said "95% of everything you read on those on-line sites is totally wrong". I told her in my experience, except for the obvious posts guessing about future events, I find them to be quite accurate. I also told her I found most of what we customers are told by Tesla employees (especially Galleries) is less accurate than the forums. I've been told everything from "The front license plate bracket is magnetic and will pop right off when you get home" to FSD is all ready to go and is being held up by federal regulations. I always get a good belly laugh from some of the things I'm told now that I know better.

• Funny
Reactions: phaduman and DDotJ
Ok so, I went ahead and called Tyson's Corner to check eligibility. Said the car (60D) 149xxx July '16 isn't eligible. He went ahead to say that the 60D and the 75D (pre-July '17) are completely different cars/batteries, that the 60D can't handle it, compared it to putting a turbo on a.. something. This is pretty laughable and blatantly false, as the damn car ordered as a 60D IS a 75D battery with a software lock on range. I almost think he was referencing the old nosecone 60s. Anyway, I countered with this, as well as the fact others who've upgraded from 60>75 have been receiving the upgrade. After that, he got mysterious about not being able to divulge too much about the cars, insulted the forum (I thought of you right away @wk057 as well as other experts here including the guys who blew open countergate, and shook my head) and declared himself and Tesla (service techs) as the true experts on the car. Pretty frustrating and I wasn't about to argue about it, as the guy was otherwise cool and courteous.

He also stated that others have paid the 75 unlock fee and were still ineligible after, and that it's a gamble on my end if I wanna try to find out. Unreal....

PS. It wasn't Michael, the guy everyone's buying lunch for. (Maybe that's the issue)
he actually said that? Thats really silly to say from a professional. Tesla really seems unorganized with guys saying things like this to a paying/payed customer. SO they somewhat blackmail 60d owners to cough up 2k to upgrade but cannot say if after that you will be eligible? Wow what a class act.

Reactions: Gur814 and Mickie
he actually said that? Thats really silly to say from a professional. Tesla really seems unorganized with guys saying things like this to a paying/payed customer. SO they somewhat blackmail 60d owners to cough up 2k to upgrade but cannot say if after that you will be eligible? Wow what a class act.
And it’s 4.5k for Model X. It’s hard to gamble 4.5k to see if it gets uncorked. 2k Maybe it’s worth a try. I just wish they could be more clear about this.

i forgot its that much more for the x...why????? that seems pretty strange. I really dont need 40 more miles for 2k or 1 sec faster-its already faster then most cars...and 2k is alot to me..4.5k is also alot to me. I just want straight answers and its all over the board. But this is how telsa rolls-WE ALL KNOW THAT NOW I THINK.
They should be able to tell you upfront that if you update the 60 to a 75 if you are eligible or not for uncorking.period. There cant be that many diff parts that matter from one car to the next on the same line/same date of manufacture can there? like car 1 comes down the line and the worker attaches fuse number xx1 and the next car he decides to use fuse xx2? Even if monday they use fuse xx1 on all the cars and then tuesday fuse xx2...then on thursday its back to fuse xx1? really??

• Funny
Reactions: Mickie
Being @Jlwine 's car was probably built around the same time mine was and being eligible, I'm leaning hard into the notion that we have to upgrade to 75, then possibly wait for it to sort through their system and return eligible.

Much further far-fetched--are they punishing 60D holdouts and rewarding earlier 75 upgrade adopters? I doubt it, but crazier *sugar* has happened.

Fairy certain, as others have said--we have to wait for the dust to settle on this one, then try back. Just too much misinformation going on in Tesla, as evidenced by everyone's SC phone calls, mine included.

we were going to get a 90d but weighed the whole range vs cost thing then decided on the 75d.But the sales guy actually talked us into the 60d saying you save $$ upfront and its only like 40 more miles with the 75 and you can always update in the future..blah blah blah... well dropping anything over 60k to us was huge so saving on getting the 60d vs the 75 or 90 at the time was huge for us. Even now 2k is nothing to sneeze at for us financially to put into the car at this point when the range and speed is already good enough.
But my interest is piqued now to see what the real story is and i dont know why tesla cant tell you upfront today if updating to a 75d would make you eligible if its just really a software thing?

i forgot its that much more for the x...why????? that seems pretty strange. I really dont need 40 more miles for 2k or 1 sec faster-its already faster then most cars...and 2k is alot to me..4.5k is also alot to me. I just want straight answers and its all over the board. But this is how telsa rolls-WE ALL KNOW THAT NOW I THINK.
They should be able to tell you upfront that if you update the 60 to a 75 if you are eligible or not for uncorking.period. There cant be that many diff parts that matter from one car to the next on the same line/same date of manufacture can there? like car 1 comes down the line and the worker attaches fuse number xx1 and the next car he decides to use fuse xx2? Even if monday they use fuse xx1 on all the cars and then tuesday fuse xx2...then on thursday its back to fuse xx1? really??
Yeah, exactly my thoughts. The tech randomly sabotaging accelerated future depreciation on cars.

If that were the case, the effected (injured?) owners should state a resounding, "Not my problem, make me whole."

Preempting the "you got what you paid for" people with, take that tired, weak argument elsewhere -->

Being @Jlwine 's car was probably built around the same time mine was and being eligible, I'm leaning hard into the notion that we have to upgrade to 75, then possibly wait for it to sort through their system and return eligible.

Much further far-fetched--are they punishing 60D holdouts and rewarding earlier 75 upgrade adopters? I doubt it, but crazier *sugar* has happened.

It may seem like this and the only explanation i can see is the the whole battery is needed to work with the performance upgrade to get the performance.I mean that would explain the need to have an unlocked battery 75d to be eligible to start with...but they dont even expound on that possibility. And then again who knows. Maybe they can update the 60d performance wise but wont because they still want to get that 2k-4.5k from buyers 1st??

Yeah, exactly my thoughts. The tech randomly sabotaging accelerated future depreciation on cars.

If that were the case, the effected (injured?) owners should state a resounding, "Not my problem, make me whole."

Preempting the "you got what you paid for" people with, take that tired, weak argument elsewhere -->
That would leave a huge bad taste in my mouth about this company if its indeed even somewhat true? They dont fly by the seat of their pants do they?? They have professionals right...engineers who already know the limits and the margins on these parts in the cars right?? They dont just put it out there and then are suprised by an engineer that says...hey we can squeeze another 100 hp into the car with just software update...and the others look at him or her and go...really???? you think???? show us...and he shows them and they all go...aha!!!!!! i mean i cant believe this isnt already knows PRE BUILD.

It may seem like this and the only explanation i can see is the the whole battery is needed to work with the performance upgrade to get the performance.I mean that would explain the need to have an unlocked battery 75d to be eligible to start with...but they dont even expound on that possibility. And then again who knows. Maybe they can update the 60d performance wise but wont because they still want to get that 2k-4.5k from buyers 1st??
Pretty sure it's tied to wringing the last bit of money out of SW locked 60 buyers. And I get that, just not the cloak and dagger. Simply offer the 75 upgrade, now with increased performance wording. And if a gdamn fuse has to be changed out, DO IT. Quit acting like it's akin to rebuilding an ICE.