Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited Free Supercharging MS Locked Out of Supercharger Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely MCU1 failed. Just went through it. I was under warranty and got a brand new MCU and it works great! Took some time to configure it again. Homelink reprogram was a pain.

Not sure how the MCU related to supercharging. I know I could charge but I never tried supercharging.

• Helpful
Reactions: SurferJD
Have you tried to charge your car since the MCU won’t boot up?

did you try a hard reboot to see if the MCU would come back to life?

if the MCU is gone then I’m not sure how safe it is to drive. when my MCU on my old car went down roadside had it towed in to Tesla.
Yes, charged fine today (at a regular charger). Didn’t have the map and didn’t want to go to the supercharger since it looks like my access was disabled.

Yes, I tried both a soft and hard reset (a few times), but no dice. I did notice that after the soft and hard resets, my steering wheel was much easier to turn. It was a bit unexpected but the other issues are still there. The mirrors also won’t fold in and there’s no parking sensors.

I just want to point out that although you said its not an idle fee. It literally says "idle fee" on the message. It happens, i havent had my supercharging disabled over it though... since idle fees and disabling supercharging would go against my purchase contract with Tesla. I haven't pushed my luck with it because I rarely SC, and obviously even more rarely idle, but I did get one unexpectedly once for like 5 bucks.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
I just want to point out that although you said its not an idle fee. It literally says "idle fee" on the message. It happens, i havent had my supercharging disabled over it though... since idle fees and disabling supercharging would go against my purchase contract with Tesla. I haven't pushed my luck with it because I rarely SC, and obviously even more rarely idle, but I did get one unexpectedly once for like 5 bucks.
Are you sure it’s an idle fee? I think the language regarding idle fees in the message and everywhere else seems to be an FAQ-type thing since I’m sure that’s the first question people have. In this case, the balance is $6.20 and it clearly states it is because of a 20 kWh charge @ $0.31 per kWh. Sorry if I’m missing something here but wouldn’t it show idle time multiplied by $1 or $0.50 (depending on how busy the supercharger is during idle time) if it were an idle fee?

Are you sure it’s an idle fee? I think the language regarding idle fees in the message and everywhere else seems to be an FAQ-type thing since I’m sure that’s the first question people have. In this case, the balance is $6.20 and it clearly states it is because of a 20 kWh charge @ $0.31 per kWh. Sorry if I’m missing something here but wouldn’t it show idle time multiplied by $1 or $0.50 (depending on how busy the supercharger is during idle time) if it were an idle fee?

yeah thats a good point i guess, their site is confusing and they waived it the first time i got one out of goodwill... as if i had my credit card on file with them in the first place. regardless everyone else is right to an extent, just gotta make noise till you get someone real on the phone. sucks, but thats where were at with this company these days. cool cars, bad business.

Good luck @SurferJD

sounds like mcu1 failure, and based on your used purchase date from Tesla, it should be under warranty.

there’s long threads on mcu1 known expected failure due to quality of eMMC storage used. When it occurs varies, though symptoms sound eerily similar.
A lot of weirdness can happen as the system finds less and less good blocks to write data to and crc checks fail. If you have pin to drive enabled turn it off, and disable any scheduled charging. Disable automatic updates (disable WiFi and standard delivery) and Stop rebooting the car (That just increasing the odds it won’t return). Some have suggested clearing previous navigation sessions, etc, though this is minimal additional storage headroom. Tesla engineering can pull your wear level I believe now, so can remotely determine if this is cause.

Can only speculate why you got charged for SpC though would suspect corrupt handshake from vehicle at time of charge (everyone can supercharge now, though if it’s not verified at time of charge as a free unlimited car, then you get billed back for session)

If / when you get complete mcu1 failure you will lose ability to communicate with car, as well as ability to change settings. Additionally, you lose HVAC and, I suspect, AEB. Net: Tesla won’t want to tow it, though with certain safety systems, no speedometer, no hvac, etc ten push them hard to do so.

• Helpful
Reactions: SurferJD and OPRCE
You'll have speedo even with full MCU failure as IC is it's own computer. You will lose most everything else including the actual blinkers (bit brake lights work including Regen braking triggered), blinker noise and actual blinkers fail, and even control over headlights.

I had AP and all safety features working until black screen failure.

• Helpful
Good luck @SurferJD

sounds like mcu1 failure, and based on your used purchase date from Tesla, it should be under warranty.

there’s long threads on mcu1 known expected failure due to quality of eMMC storage used. When it occurs varies, though symptoms sound eerily similar.
A lot of weirdness can happen as the system finds less and less good blocks to write data to and crc checks fail. If you have pin to drive enabled turn it off, and disable any scheduled charging. Disable automatic updates (disable WiFi and standard delivery) and Stop rebooting the car (That just increasing the odds it won’t return). Some have suggested clearing previous navigation sessions, etc, though this is minimal additional storage headroom. Tesla engineering can pull your wear level I believe now, so can remotely determine if this is cause.

Can only speculate why you got charged for SpC though would suspect corrupt handshake from vehicle at time of charge (everyone can supercharge now, though if it’s not verified at time of charge as a free unlimited car, then you get billed back for session)

If / when you get complete mcu1 failure you will lose ability to communicate with car, as well as ability to change settings. Additionally, you lose HVAC and, I suspect, AEB. Net: Tesla won’t want to tow it, though with certain safety systems, no speedometer, no hvac, etc ten push them hard to do so.
Thanks! Luckily I had pin to drive turned off (mainly because I’ve seen the issues people on these forums have when they aren’t able to access the screen, although would love to use that feature for additional security). I didn’t know you can completely disable updates—will try that if the service center is able to get my mcu1 working (or replacement).

Quick question in case people know off the top of their heads: if they do replace my mcu1, has there been any speculation on whether the replacement unit will have the same issue in the future? Does it make sense to push for the mcu2 upgrade to prevent this happening again or does that no make sense/tesla unwilling to do with a 2016 MS?

thanks again, all!

You'll have speedo even with full MCU failure as IC is it's own computer. You will lose most everything else including the actual blinkers (bit brake lights work including Regen braking triggered), blinker noise and actual blinkers fail, and even control over headlights.

I had AP and all safety features working until black screen failure.
I’m fairly sure this is what is happening with my car then—weird timing with the supercharger charge. AP still worked for me as well yesterday.

what is black screen failure? Does the IC eventually fail as well? :(

I’m fairly sure this is what is happening with my car then—weird timing with the supercharger charge. AP still worked for me as well yesterday.

Black screen failure = mcu1 failure/Emmc failure.

with the MCU1 after several years 5-6 depending on how often you drive the mcu will fail again in the same manner. It’s fairly hit and miss on the timing though things can make it happen faster or slower.

When it comes to mcu upgrade from 1 to 2 you have to wait for your vin to become elligible for said upgrade (will cost $2500 out of pocket) I was told locally that if my mcu went out they’d allow upgrade with me paying for mcu2. Though others have been told no unless you’re up for upgrade.

the IC should still work even though the MCU has gone down. That being said there are still safety things that will not work. Turn signals etc. not an issue I suppose if you’re fairly close it the service center. Another thing if this is your only daily driver and you live far from it.

• Helpful
Thanks! Luckily I had pin to drive turned off (mainly because I’ve seen the issues people on these forums have when they aren’t able to access the screen, although would love to use that feature for additional security). I didn’t know you can completely disable updates—will try that if the service center is able to get my mcu1 working (or replacement).

Quick question in case people know off the top of their heads: if they do replace my mcu1, has there been any speculation on whether the replacement unit will have the same issue in the future? Does it make sense to push for the mcu2 upgrade to prevent this happening again or does that no make sense/tesla unwilling to do with a 2016 MS?

thanks again, all!

From what I have read, MCU1 replacement from Tesla will have the same failure again in the future. You could do just the EMMC replacement privately for MCU1 which will probably last longer than the full MCU 1 replacement from Tesla. (But if under warranty, I’d do the MCU1 replacement from Tesla.

MCU2 EMMC will fail as well but in about 100 to 200 years per a well respected Tesla hacker. (Green the only, I believe.)

• Funny
Update for anyone following this thread:

When I went to start the car today, only my front dash screen would turn on, but now with a message directly in-vehicle stating supercharging is disabled. None of my big center screen, A/C or turn signals (scary when driving!) worked today (hazards still work if I push the hazard button so it doesn’t seem like the lights themselves are out). I first tried doing a soft reset, then hard reset, then tried calling roadside assistance—no dice. Roadside assistance said to schedule an appointment with a service center. Luckily my app was now able to connect to my car and I was able to schedule an appointment next Saturday (I work during the weekdays and it’s difficult for me to take time off). Will provide further updates if folks are interested.

To answer the above I bought the car early last year (2019) used directly through Tesla and it had free supercharging when I bought it (and still shows it as free supercharging in my account online).

I think your MCU has died while your supercharging is turned off. 2 Unrelated issue at probably the worst possible time. If you have warranty, Tesla can get you a new MCU on their dime.

• Helpful

Black screen is total failure of the emmc and thus the computer cannot boot, so the screen is black.

The IC is separate and should still work for what it does which is very limited but that does include speed and some car info. But obviously not having MCU is a big issue for safety and situational awareness especially since I use the backup camera all the time due to narrow rear view.

Great news! Tesla was able to resolve both the supercharger fee (they said it was charged in error) and mcu1 failure through over-the-air software pushes! It was the most convenient fix possible. I tried to go back to my first post to edit it with this update to save people the headache of reading through all the pages here but it looks like the edit button is disabled now.

Anyways, thank you all for your suggestions and pointers here--it was helpful for me to be able to explain what was wrong to the Tesla rep (and especially Bruce for the suggestion on the video)! When my service center rep called me, I offered to text him the videos I took and he was able to resolve the issue within a day or so of sending the video.

Here's my $0.02 from 37+ years of lawyering in California where you might be and I expect in most places. Many have heard the old honey v vinegar adage, well, I've found "Please help" works faster and more often than "wtf?" Back peddling is not as fast as it's opposite
I would agree with you completely, for almost any other company, except that Tesla is doing their best to prove you wrong. I'm willing to bet that saying "please help, please help, please help" to a computerized phone attendant until it hangs up on you, will yield zero results. Are you a betting person? ;)

If it were me, spend 15 minutes trying to reach a live person, after which it is time wasted for which Tesla will not reimburse you for. If that doesn't work, I would send an email to support and give them a couple of days. After that, or if I needed supercharging sooner, I would just add a credit card to the account, let them charge the mistaken charge and re-enable supercharging, then I'd then try another email to ask for a refund, maybe the sales person who sold you the car, or the general support email, or both. Give them a couple of days to respond, but if that doesn't work, I'd just dispute the charge with the credit card company - if you have free supercharging you have a slam dunk chargeback - let the credit card company work it out with Tesla billing/accounting - they will have a number to a live person, or at least get paid for trying to make it through the automated menus or sitting on hold.

Tesla is charging customers $175/hr diagnostic fee if they bring their cars in for issues not covered under warranty or even things covered but not reliably reproducible. But they don't pay customers $175/hr to straighten out their screw ups, so it's not worth sinking too much time into it - give them a chance by calling the main support number, then find the path of least effort to resolution, that would be my motto. But yes, attorneys and suing is definitely not the quickest or cheapest resolution - having been through it, it is an amazing time and money drain, even if you have a slam-dunk case which you are almost guaranteed to win. The best thing you hope for in situations like that is that the company you're suing will settle because they don't want to waste their time and money either.

Last edited:
I had a phantom £14 bill for charging on a free supercharging MS. Talked to a guy at the Tesla store (are they dealers or not). He told me that Tesla was changing it's billing system and people that used the chargers while the conversion was happening weren't getting the balance credited. He reset it cancelled it out for me on the spot after checking the VIN and the Free supercharging status.

Short version. Find someone at Tesla to talk to and they'll fix this one for you.