Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlocking the Doors from inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you extend the door handles from the driver's seat, such as when picking up passengers?

When you put the car in "Park", the handles will extend. If they retract while you're waiting, the passenger can push the handle and it should come out, or you can put the car in Drive, then Park again, or you can press Unlock from the touchscreen.

How do you extend the door handles from the driver's seat, such as when picking up passengers?

I can think of at least 7 ways:

1. Put the car in park
  2. Use the unlock button the on the touchscreen
  3. Pull the passenger door handle
  4. Pull the driver door handle
  5. Double click the key fob
  6. The incoming passenger can tap the door handle (if the car is in park)
  7. Use the phone app and tap "unlock"

Just rec'd the car yesterday, and It's amazing.

Few "New Driver" questions:

How do I unlock the doors when I'm inside the car? I know I can do this via the touch screen, but is there another way?

Today, I scheduled the software updated after I plugged in at Chargepoint, only for the charge to stop. I am assuming this is because of the software update (stops functionality of the car?).

I also assumed that the micro fiber seats had heated seats, I was wrong :wink:

Still, super happy with the car, a smile on my face every minute while driving!

Software update can stop charging - at home, charging would start up again automatically since you have a direct connection to an outlet, but at a public charger, you may have to tell the station to start charging again.

Also, if you are already in park, pushing the Park button again on the gear selector stalk will extend the handles.

As kinddog said, if you're not already in park, hitting the Park button will push the handles out. If you're already in park and it's someone who isn't aware that pressing the handle will cause it to eject then you can hit the "Controls" button on the bottom left of the display then touch "Unlock" on the "Driving" tab and they'll come out.

Alternatively, you can just open the driver's side door a crack and all the handles will come out.

I also assumed that the micro fiber seats had heated seats, I was wrong :wink:

I was tripped up on this when I finalized in November and took delivery in March. I was under the impression that mine didn't get the heated seats because they weren't made available for fabric seats until after the price increase. I would have expected all new cars to come with them. Is that not the case?

Just rec'd the car yesterday, and It's amazing.

Few "New Driver" questions:

How do I unlock the doors when I'm inside the car? I know I can do this via the touch screen, but is there another way?

Hate to quote myself but gonna do it anyway....

I can think of at least 7 ways:

1. Put the car in park
  2. Use the unlock button the on the touchscreen
  3. Pull the passenger door handle
  4. Pull the driver door handle
  5. Double click the key fob
  6. The incoming passenger can tap the door handle (if the car is in park)
  7. Use the phone app and tap "unlock"

If you're already in park and it's someone who isn't aware that pressing the handle will cause it to eject then you can hit the "Controls" button on the bottom left of the display then touch "Unlock" on the "Driving" tab and they'll come out.

The quick way is to put it in D and then back to P.

Door handles - can someone open door for you from outside when you're in the car?

When I take my kids to school and drop them off, the teachers usually come up and open the door for the kids.

When I pull up in my Tesla, won't the teacher just find the door handle flush with the door?

Is there anyway I can make the handles present themselves from inside the car?

My kids can the door themselves, so it's no big deal, but I was just curious. Also could be an issue if you pull up to a valet (though I'm really not sure I will ever trust one with my Tesla).