Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlocking the Doors from inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you can just hit 'park' when the car is parked and they extend..

Nope. You have to do the Drive then Park sequence to get the handles to extend. That would be a good software suggestion for a future release, however.

I believe it used behave this way in earlier firmwares. But yes, it would be nice to have again in future releases.

When I take my kids to school and drop them off, the teachers usually come up and open the door for the kids.

When I pull up in my Tesla, won't the teacher just find the door handle flush with the door?

Is there anyway I can make the handles present themselves from inside the car?

My kids can the door themselves, so it's no big deal, but I was just curious. Also could be an issue if you pull up to a valet (though I'm really not sure I will ever trust one with my Tesla).

Amazingly, no one has commented on the fact that the teachers open the car doors for the kids :tongue:

> if you pull up to a valet (though I'm really not sure I will ever trust one with my Tesla). [Byoung]

The Roadster has VALET MODE and I thought the MS originally came with such. If so, has this feature been dropped?
--

The Roadster has VALET MODE and I thought the MS originally came with such. If so, has this feature been dropped?
--

Model S doesn't have a valet mode but many have asked for it and IIRC either Elon or Jerome said at TESLIVE that it was a good idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Amazingly, no one has commented on the fact that the teachers open the car doors for the kids :tongue:

That's the norm here; at our school they prefer it that way for safety reasons so that the kids don't exit the car too soon during the morning rush.

Model S doesn't have a valet mode but many have asked for it and IIRC either Elon or Jerome said at TESLIVE that it was a good idea.

I'm pretty sure I remember correctly that Elon (or Jerome ?) said that it was already built in but hasn't been exposed in the UI yet, but soon to be available in a planned update.

My fuzzy memory is that Elon said Valet mode is coming, not just a good idea but a somewhat already implemented one.

- - - Updated - - -

Penance for somewhat duplicate post, quote fetch:
(valet) is a function in the car already, just has not been exposed to the end user....
Maybe by the end of the year.
... maps north up ...
... pre-cache the tiles ...
... ability to tether for your phone ... LTE ...
... wifi capability ...
around 38:20 mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way for the driver to pop out the door handles?

Scenario: I pull up to pick my friend up. He can't quite remember what to do to get the door handles to pop out. I have to roll down the window and explain to him how to do it.

Is there a simple way I can just pop out the door handles for him?

quickly push the end of the gear-lever to go into "Park".. handles pop out right away. Awkward the first couple of times, cool to the random guest thereafter when done smoothly

..or touch screen main controls screen touch unlock (but must be stopped, I think)

Thanks a bunch! I tried both these out. Not obvious that "unlock" on the touchscreen would pop out the handles but it works!

I like your avatar HR

Haha - I decided to drive home late one night REALLY FAST thinking I had plenty of range to spare and just made it with 0 miles.