Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Unplugged Performance Dual Rate LOWERING Spring Set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ask and you shall receive! Check out this recent test video from Teslanomics

We have. We recently updated our product page to include our mild spring option which is the softest option with a 0.7" drop

Unplugged Performance | Dual Rate Lowering Springs for Tesla Model 3
20% on good condition roads for the 1.5" drop is decent. If somehow I got unexpectedly rich in the next year and I ordered a Model 3, I'd probably just go ahead and order and have installed the mild softer 0.7" drop springs, and hope that on the super crappy San Jose roads I sometimes experience, they'd be even better than the 1.5" drop springs.

How do you anticipate the ride to compare between the moderate springs and the coilvers?

The ride will be completely different. The coilovers are fully adjustable so the shock valving can be set by the end user.

Curious if there will be any documentation for the DIYers out there? I've done coilover/spring installs in a few of my past cars now, would be willing to give it a shot myself given the chance

The springs install the same as a factory spring installation. Due to there being no difference in installation method, at this point we have no plans to release an instruction manual. We can suggest that any professional shop that is capable of doing a spring install on any car would likely be able to install. There is no Tesla specific technology with regards to the spring installation.

Reactions: Drax
Someone help me understand this. Tesla with all their engineering expertise has been shown up with UP dual rate springs which not only lower the car (thereby reducing the available suspension travel), soften the ride AND improve the cornering ability. Call me skeptical, but if it's true, great job!

Reactions: Zoomit
Someone help me understand this. Tesla with all their engineering expertise has been shown up with UP dual rate springs which not only lower the car (thereby reducing the available suspension travel), soften the ride AND improve the cornering ability. Call me skeptical, but if it's true, great job!

Best is always to match a spring height drop with a new damper thats correctly designed for that particular ride height. Dropping 1.5” changes dampening compression which changes driving dynamics and can reduce your dampener life. If available, a coil over system with height and dampening adjustment is always the best way to go as they are matched to the new spring rate/height.

Lowering springs are just a MUCH cheaper alternative most people like to go with. The problem is a lot of folks (kids driving bottomed out Honda’s) don’t change the dampeners when they eventually blow out due to the lowering springs, so you see those people bouncing on every bump in the road.

Nothing really wrong with lowering springs so long as you go in with the understanding that you’ll most likely need to replace your dampers earlier.

• Helpful
Reactions: atlas310
Best is always to match a spring height drop with a new damper thats correctly designed for that particular ride height. Dropping 1.5” changes dampening compression which changes driving dynamics and can reduce your dampener life. If available, a coil over system with height and dampening adjustment is always the best way to go as they are matched to the new spring rate/height.

Lowering springs are just a MUCH cheaper alternative most people like to go with. The problem is a lot of folks (kids driving bottomed out Honda’s) don’t change the dampeners when they eventually blow out due to the lowering springs, so you see those people bouncing on every bump in the road.

Nothing really wrong with lowering springs so long as you go in with the understanding that you’ll most likely need to replace your dampers earlier.
I was speaking to the design in general. The stock Model 3 has X inches of suspension travel. By dropping the ride height 1.5 inches, you will have X-1.5 inches of suspension travel. Typically, reducing suspension travel reduces suspension compliance. Somehow the UP dual rate springs do everything which tends to be conflicting. Reduced ride height, more compliant ride, and better cornering without sacrificing anything except some money? Sounds too good to be true, no? If not, shouldn't we expect Tesla to phase a similar design change into production eventually?

I was speaking to the design in general. The stock Model 3 has X inches of suspension travel. By dropping the ride height 1.5 inches, you will have X-1.5 inches of suspension travel. Typically, reducing suspension travel reduces suspension compliance. Somehow the UP dual rate springs do everything which tends to be conflicting.
Yes, I've had lowering springs on a number of different cars, and anything that dropped the car more than an inch always had significant issues handling big bumps which require a lot of suspension travel. Now maybe these dual rate springs are somehow able to avoid that, but I also remain sceptical as some of these other springs I've tried also had progressive rates.
The best overall lowering springs I've used had a mild drop and a mild increase in spring rate.

I ordered the moderate springs a couple weeks ago but they are out of stock. I'm also planning on buying the VMR V710 but they only have black in the 20". I could wait a few weeks for the 19" but was wondering if anyone has experience with the moderate springs with 20" wheels.

Any issue with this combo? Will the ride be better/worse than the OEM 19" wheels with stock suspension? I'm fine with the current OEM ride but don't want to go with 20" wheels if the ride will be much worse.

Thanks!

Unplugged-Performance-Sport-Lowering-Springs-for-Tesla-Model-3-1125x750.jpg

After 4 months of engineering it is here! Softer than factory spec for cruising around town but when cornering a secondary spring rate kicks in and it becomes firmer than factory spec. Best of both worlds! We’ve created this dual rate spring with a Formula One spring producer. Available in “moderate” or “low” options. In stock!

Concept:
This ambitious engineering project began with a review of factory spring rates and led to a goal of the following:

1. Increase comfort in daily driving situations. Achieved by studying factory spring rates and producing a softer but proportionate spring rate front and rear.
  2. Increase performance when cornering. Achieved by utilizing the highest technology partner and producing a secondary more sporty performance spring rate that engages when cornering g forces are loaded.
  3. Increase range. Achieved by lowering the car as height is proven to correlate to aero efficiency.
  4. Every day improved performance at significant value. Achieved by producing in bulk volume in a direct manufacturer partnership produced to proprietary Unplugged Performance developed specifications.
Two Unique Offerings:

Moderate
Ride: Our moderate offering is engineered with slightly softer spring rates than factory springs. When cornering, the secondary spring rate activates and body roll is minimized with a slightly more firm spring rates than factory. Overall improvements to handling, steering responsiveness, as well as stability can be felt. The target is a best of both worlds spring for everyday use.

Height: 1.5” drop. Front ground clearance is comparable to a modern sports car. The car is lowered moderately, enough to gain aerodynamic efficiency with cleaned up airflow under the car. Visually tire gap is reduced to “two fingers” wheel gap.

Low
Ride: Our low offering is engineered with comparable spring rates to the factory springs. When cornering, the secondary spring rate activates and body roll is minimized with a more firm spring rate than factory. Overall improvements to handling, steering responsiveness, as well as stability can be felt. On both primary and on secondary spring rates, the low version is slightly firmer than our moderate version. This slightly firmer setting is consistent with our intention of a true high performance driving style.

Height: 2.1” drop. Front ground clearance is comparable to a modern supercar. Visually tire gap is reduced to “one finger” wheel gap.

Which version should I get?
If you are not sure about which choice is best for you, we suggest selecting Moderate. If you are still not sure, think about your answer to the following question:

If you could daily drive only one car, would it be a Model S P100D or a 2020 Tesla Roadster Concept?
The Model S is more well-rounded for everyday use and many would select that, but if you would like driving a supercar everyday then the low version might be a good choice for you. The low version is developed strictly for extreme car enthusiasts just like us.

Specifications:
  • Produced in an engineering partnership with Formula 1 and 50+ consecutive Indy car winning spring supplier HYPERCO
  • Proven Dual Rate spring technology allows for best of both worlds. The car rides at improved comfort around town. When sporty handling is desired, natural cornering g forces activate the spring’s 30% sportier secondary spring rate which reduces body roll and increases handling
  • Improved range efficiency by lowering center of gravity and reducing underbody air turbulence
  • Two unique offerings – “Moderate” provides a ground clearance equivalence to modern sports cars. “Low” provides a ground clearance equivalence to modern hypercars. Moderate is approximately a 1.5” drop, Low is approximately a 2.1” drop
  • Designed, Engineered and Produced in America

27540112_1892208990851964_5487516959527209304_n.jpg

Top to bottom: stock, moderate, low

Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Springs-Tesla-Model-3-OEM-Height_01-1.jpg

Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Springs-Tesla-Model-3-Moderate_01-1.jpg

Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Springs-Tesla-Model-3-Low_01-1.jpg
Love the profile of the low version. Nice to know how much it will affect range.