Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unstable steering at speeds around 80 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I was the only one with this issue. My 85d feels like a boat at 90mph+. It's shifty and not stable. Coming from a German AWD the Tesla feels like a Nissan Sentra. While it's quick of the line I can't drive it as fast as my previous car. I'm at 20k miles.

With mine, when I occasionally have the problem, it feels more like a mid-70s Buick, Oldsmobile, or Lincoln Mercury 4-door sedan!

Another thing that I notice is the Dual motor does not help handling like a mechanical system like Quattro which plants the car and helps on turns. Its completely disconnected. I had heard from a track guy running a PxxD that the awd feels disconnected

With mine, when I occasionally have the problem, it feels more like a mid-70s Buick, Oldsmobile, or Lincoln Mercury 4-door sedan!
I do tell people the Tesla is a new take on an old school American muscle car.

American made large sedan, massive torque, quick off the line. I guess I should've added heavy, and unstable at high speeds too.

Another thing that I notice is the Dual motor does not help handling like a mechanical system like Quattro which plants the car and helps on turns. Its completely disconnected. I had heard from a track guy running a PxxD that the awd feels disconnected

I'm not a race car driver, but from what I feel I think it's built more for traction and efficiency modulations. I would imagine that makes it much more difficult for a racer to anticipate on a track and get it to pivot like they want.

I find it insane (ludicrous?) that Tesla uses the same, non-performance suspensions for their P models that cost $40,000-$50,000 more than non-P models. At least the old P85+ had staggered tires and an improved, stiffer performance suspension. Some early buyers of the P85DL inherited this superior suspension, but not since.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
My MS sometimes feels stable with tight steering and sometimes loose. Not sure why. My service person recommended that we go online and recommend that Tesla adjust the steering to be more stiff. Said that they tend to make changes based more on owners recommenfations and less from service advisors.

Reactions: gfab333
I'm not a race car driver, but from what I feel I think it's built more for traction and efficiency modulations. I would imagine that makes it much more difficult for a racer to anticipate on a track and get it to pivot like they want.
You see a drive shaft going to the front of the NSX? One of the best handling cars made. The Tesla just needs more software development to handle better, but that will be low priority until Auto Pilot is done.

My car recently developed a strong vibration while accelerating between 60 mph and 70 mph, and a different vibration above 80 mph. Vibration above 80 mph was due to balancing issue, vibration in the 60-70 mph required replacement of drive unit and all four air struts. Thank goodness for the ESA!

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa