Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unstable steering at speeds around 80 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to guess that the problem is cross-winds. I noticed that on even slightly breezy days, my car bounces around in the lane and sometimes it's difficult to keep it centered. I've noticed at those moments when the car feels like it moves, the movement is almost always accompanied by a gusty air noise around the windscreen. I also wonder if the intermittency is due to the louvers being open or closed at the front of the car, which are sometimes open and sometimes closed depending on the cooling needs of the vehicle. Air rushing into that area pushes against the radiators and there could be something funky going on down there with the airflow.

These are just guesses, of course. I've driven plenty of loaners and they all behave in the same manner as my car, so I can't say that what I'm experiencing is abnormal.

Also, if you have air suspension, driving it in low mode REDUCES suspension stiffness. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but it's true. If you take to the freeway in low suspension mode, switch it to normal and see if you notice a difference. Raising the height will reduce body roll.

I've always wondered if the steering system was changed with the refresh.

There's so many of us experiencing this problem I was hoping Tesla would issue a TSB on the problem.

Have you had your SC look at the problem?

There's so many of us experiencing this problem I was hoping Tesla would issue a TSB on the problem.

I took my 2017 refreshed-fascia S 60 to the SC yesterday to have some issues looked at, one of which was a misaligned steering wheel, with a mushy feel somewhere between the 10 and 2 o'clock positions. When you're driving straight at 30 to 70 mph, I get a mushy feel to the wheel if I perform a steering adjustment between about the 10 and 2 o'clock positions. If I perform a full 90 degree turn, like at an intersection, I don't feel the mushier feel. I always have it set to Sport mode and expected the steering wheel to have a firm feel all the way through a turning maneuver. I asked them to check the car's alignment, toe in, camber, etc.

The car came back from the SC with a straightened up steering wheel (no longer tilted to the left even though the car is being driven straight). The steering wheel's feel seems to be better, but still not as firm as I would expect.

As a point of reference, the older P85 loaner that I was provided had a firmer feeling steering wheel than my car, also set at Sport. I relayed this to the mechanic, and he told me that the older Ss have a different steering rack altogether. Thus, the steering of the two car's would likely feel different. Has any one else noticed that the Sport mode steering for circa 2017 refreshed cars is mushier, or less firm feeling, than for the older nose cone Ss?

I will continue to monitor the issue. Just sharing for your info.

• Informative
Reactions: MS16

I've been wondering the same. Our AP2 MS has been looked at a couple of times. The problem is very apparent to me, but my wife doesn't notice the issue. It bugs me every time I drive our (her) MS.

The loaners we've had (pre-AP) and my AP1 MX have felt rock solid.

Here's how I would describe the issue for me. For me, it's a similar feeling to a failing power steering pump. One moment the steering tension is consistent, and then there's a momentary feeling of overboosted assistance. This occurs at any steering sensitivity setting.

It doesn't feel like it's pulling - as you would with tramlining. And it doesn't feel like the car itself is squirlly - as it would with a misalignment. You just lose resistance, which makes it seem like a dead/slack spot. But I'm certain the car is just as responsive during this time.

I suppose a faulty wheel speed sensor could also cause the system to flip between a low speed/high speed boost setting, but so far Tesla hasn't been able to pinpoint it.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: gfab333 and Niclas
I've been wondering the same. Our AP2 MS has been looked at a couple of times. The problem is very apparent to me, but my wife doesn't notice the issue. It bugs me every time I drive our (her) MS.

The loaners we've had (pre-AP) and my AP1 MX have felt rock solid.

Here's how I would describe the issue for me. For me, it's a similar feeling to a failing power steering pump. One moment the steering tension is consistent, and then there's a momentary feeling of overboosted assistance. This occurs at any steering sensitivity setting.

It doesn't feel like it's pulling - as you would with tramlining. And it doesn't feel like the car itself is squirlly - as it would with a misalignment. You just lose resistance, which makes it seem like a dead/slack spot. But I'm certain the car is just as responsive during this time.

I suppose a faulty wheel speed sensor could also cause the system to flip between a low speed/high speed boost setting, but so far Tesla hasn't been able to pinpoint it.

Mine performs the same. I've had two alignments but the problem remains. When changing the steering angle from on-center to just off-center, there is 'play' in the system, a dead spot followed by an over-boost situation.

Mine is noticeable from 45-50+ mph, and gets increasingly worse at speeds above that.

Mine performs the same. I've had two alignments but the problem remains. When changing the steering angle from on-center to just off-center, there is 'play' in the system, a dead spot followed by an over-boost situation.

Mine is noticeable from 45-50+ mph, and gets increasingly worse at speeds above that.

Same for my new P100D. The steering feel is just bizarre. Fine when driving slowly but get up to speed and there's a giant black hole of a dead spot from 11 to 1, with significant overboost. My previous P85D felt nothing like this. What has Tesla done? This issue honestly makes me want to get rid of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: MS16
Same for my new P100D. The steering feel is just bizarre. Fine when driving slowly but get up to speed and there's a giant black hole of a dead spot from 11 to 1, with significant overboost. My previous P85D felt nothing like this. What has Tesla done? This issue honestly makes me want to get rid of the car.

I couldn't agree more, and that scares me being that I just sold my AP1 MX to get an AP2 MX. If my AP2 MX turns out to be the same, I would gladly do a AP2 for AP1 straight swap and eat the value difference.

Agreed, the steering is horrible.

With so many people experiencing the same problem, you'd think Tesla would come up with a fix, an improvement, or something.

No I haven't taken it to the SC for this but will bring it up when I go in for any other issue.
I have assumed that this is normal for the newer cars.
Does not feel nearly as precise as my previous P85D but that car had the tight suspension.

It feels as if the newer bushings in the steering system are softer and allow more play.

No I haven't taken it to the SC for this but will bring it up when I go in for any other issue.
I have assumed that this is normal for the newer cars.
Does not feel nearly as precise as my previous P85D but that car had the tight suspension.

It feels as if the newer bushings in the steering system are softer and allow more play.

Let us know if you do take it in. I'm hoping one of the SCs will know how to fix it.

I think I may have figured out why my 2013 P85 feels squirrely on the freeway in low suspension mode:

http://www.santafegarage.com/precision-alignments/camber-explained/

The high negative camber in the rear leads to what is known as "camber thrust". This is more of an issue with RWD cars, since the vehicle will have a tendency to move in the direction that the tire is leaning. With a high negative camber, the rear of the vehicle is being constantly pushed to the right by the rear left wheel, and to the left by the rear right wheel. This explains what I'm feeling on the freeway, and why the effects are less pronounced with the suspension at Normal ride height (less negative camber).

I thought I was the only one with this issue. My 85d feels like a boat at 90mph+. It's shifty and not stable. Coming from a German AWD the Tesla feels like a Nissan Sentra. While it's quick of the line I can't drive it as fast as my previous car. I'm at 20k miles.