Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unstable steering at speeds around 80 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the thread that made me sign up. I just test drove a 2017 60D with 19 inch rims and whatever the stock tires are. It had air suspension. The car felt floaty at a fairly low speed on the freeway. (60 mph, maybe less) It was enough to make me mention it to the sales guy. At the time, I thought it was due to wind, because it was a windy day, but after reading this thread, it sounds more like a design problem somewhere. It felt like the toe-in was wrong. It's kind of hard to believe that Tesla has that crappy of QC; the car was very low mileage.

So beyond the crappy Tesla QC, the most frustrating part is Tesla seems to show little desire to track down and resolve issues like this one.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
I believe the issue has been tracked down.
While the 19" wheels are more forgiving they still need proper alignment and torquing of rear bolting. The 22" wheels have less sidewall, have wider and softer tires, and need near perfect wheel alignment.
I have had my alignment done by Tesla and checked by an independent shop. Tesla got it very close and handling was much improved. The shop made very small adjustments and now the handling is on par with the best BMW / Mercedes offerings.
We need to push Tesla for closer specs on their performance package and better QC on their alignment rack.

I believe the issue has been tracked down.
While the 19" wheels are more forgiving they still need proper alignment and torquing of rear bolting. The 22" wheels have less sidewall, have wider and softer tires, and need near perfect wheel alignment.
I have had my alignment done by Tesla and checked by an independent shop. Tesla got it very close and handling was much improved. The shop made very small adjustments and now the handling is on par with the best BMW / Mercedes offerings.
We need to push Tesla for closer specs on their performance package and better QC on their alignment rack.

Did you have to pay for the independent alignment yourself or did the SC arrange it?

Update:

Still much improved. I am careful in parking lots and on the road to avoid unnecessary stress on the steering system. This may contribute to my alignment holding. I will not say all wander is gone, my '86 F250 has no wander at all, the Tesla has a small amount on rain grooves. From what I read on other car types the wander may be due to tires. I am running staggered Michelin Sports, 21".

I'm not having much luck either but notice that the steering stiffness changed on my MS. I've tried switching from normal to sport and don't notice any difference whereas before, it would get stiffer in sport mode.

Both the Normal and Sport settings feel very artificial, very synthetic to me, a far cry from BMW like steering feel. It's made worse because the vehicle tracks so poorly you need to make constant corrections, so the lack of steering feel and steering precision on the S is even more noticeable.

the vehicle tracks so poorly you need to make constant corrections, so the lack of steering feel and steering precision on the S is even more noticeable.

My early 2013 Model S corners like it's on rails and the steering is tight and responsive.

My Camaro Z28 with similar length and width wasn't any tighter.

Not sure what you are expecting from a large sedan...but our S is truly a fine cruiser and handles well when hustled in corners.

My early 2013 Model S corners like it's on rails and the steering is tight and responsive.

My Camaro Z28 with similar length and width wasn't any tighter.

Not sure what you are expecting from a large sedan...but our S is truly a fine cruiser and handles well when hustled in corners.

What I was expecting was my vehicle to travel down the highway without requiring constant steering corrections as if it were in a windstorm.

Lay down under car, grab tie rods, see if they will twist easy. Should be tight. Worn tie rod ends will cause this situation. Any old front end man will you that, grooves or seams will cause wheels to go a millimeter a stray. Then you are chasing the wandering.

My MS loaner with old fascia had rock solid and firmer steering that drove straight without having to constantly adjust it. I'm not sure what was changed but it sure isn't an improvement. I have also put the steering mode to comfort which makes the steering less twitchy. I'll try checking the tie rod as suggested and see if it feels loose or not.

Lay down under car, grab tie rods, see if they will twist easy. Should be tight. Worn tie rod ends will cause this situation. Any old front end man will you that, grooves or seams will cause wheels to go a millimeter a stray. Then you are chasing the wandering.

Thanks. The tie rods shouldn't be worn because the problem started as soon as it came from the factory, with only 8 miles on it. I'll still check it though. The SC has been fairly useless in troubleshooting.