Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP vs MPP Coilover

Coilovers

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. Go to their website and you will see new instructions with a new picture of the revised front strut assembly. It no longer has the tender or helper springs and it also shows you the order and placement in terms of the rubber, Teflon and stainless rings that come with the kit. Instead there is a spacer kit that goes on top that takes up some of the room that was previously consumed by the helper springs. It's not quite identical so I think there are new parameters for setting your spring height depending on how much you want to drop the car.
Aren't these the helper springs? They are still showing on their site. Could not find the new instructions on their site. Can you provide a link? Having a hard time knowing what parts to tell my installer not to use.
Springs.png

Aren't these the helper springs? They are still showing on their site. Could not find the new instructions on their site. Can you provide a link? Having a hard time knowing what parts to tell my installer not to use.
View attachment 437109

Yes those are the helper springs. MPP put them in both the comfort and Sport kits although they say that the helper springs are less likely to make noise in the sport kit. Additionally it's easier to get your car a lot lower with the helper springs rather than the top column which would seem to take up about an extra centimeter. Also make sure that the installer pays particularly close attention to the seating of the front shock in the fork, and to the retention of the stock OEM noise and vibration isolators particularly on the front system where my installer made the mistake of putting in MPPs rubber rings instead of the OEM isolators , and the MVP rings are not nearly as good as providing impact isolation for the front end. The instructions do emphasize retention of the OEM isolator but it seems to be a point of confusion whether to use that or the hard rubber rings in the kit. Also make sure that you take a close look at the MPP website coilover instructions which have been updated. I would print those out and hand them to the installer.

Can either of these coilovers (UP or MPP) raise the car slightly (say by up to an inch or two) from stock, or are they only meant for lowering the car ?

With a new top column it's possible to actually have the car higher than stock in the front but I do not believe that you can get the car higher than stock in the rear unless you do something to jack up one of the spring perches.

With a new top column it's possible to actually have the car higher than stock in the front but I do not believe that you can get the car higher than stock in the rear unless you do something to jack up one of the spring perches.
Does it make for a harsher ride without the helper springs? If they are not a problem on the sport suspension should I put them on anyway?

Last edited:
Yes those are the helper springs. MPP put them in both the comfort and Sport kits although they say that the helper springs are less likely to make noise in the sport kit. Additionally it's easier to get your car a lot lower with the helper springs rather than the top column which would seem to take up about an extra centimeter. Also make sure that the installer pays particularly close attention to the seating of the front shock in the fork, and to the retention of the stock OEM noise and vibration isolators particularly on the front system where my installer made the mistake of putting in MPPs rubber rings instead of the OEM isolators , and the MVP rings are not nearly as good as providing impact isolation for the front end. The instructions do emphasize retention of the OEM isolator but it seems to be a point of confusion whether to use that or the hard rubber rings in the kit. Also make sure that you take a close look at the MPP website coilover instructions which have been updated. I would print those out and hand them to the installer.
Is this the stock OEM noise vibration isolator?
Untitled.png

Correct. Go to their website and you will see new instructions with a new picture of the revised front strut assembly. It no longer has the tender or helper springs and it also shows you the order and placement in terms of the rubber, Teflon and stainless rings that come with the kit. Instead there is a spacer kit that goes on top that takes up some of the room that was previously consumed by the helper springs. It's not quite identical so I think there are new parameters for setting your spring height depending on how much you want to drop the car.
My kit came with no spacer kit. (no Teflon/stainless rings etc.) It came with helper springs. What is a tender?

I have the MPP sport setup and believe I was one of the first to receive. I have had no issues with the helper springs. I have done at about 8 track days with out a hitch. So far my setup has been great and really has made the car have that high end European feel were it's compliant for daily driving and sporty for the track all at the same time.

All I need now to complete my suspension thru out is upper camber arms. Excited for when the camber arms come as I believe it will help lower Lap times and as an added bonus save front tire shoulders.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
I have the MPP sport setup and believe I was one of the first to receive. I have had no issues with the helper springs. I have done at about 8 track days with out a hitch. So far my setup has been great and really has made the car have that high end European feel were it's compliant for daily driving and sporty for the track all at the same time.

All I need now to complete my suspension thru out is upper camber arms. Excited for when the camber arms come as I believe it will help lower Lap times and as an added bonus save front tire shoulders.
What is your compression/rebound setting?

Don't you mean Ohlin vs KW? ;)

Haha that's kinda fair, though i believe they are non-Ohlin body's and not fab'd by Ohlin (like the KW's are, i think) since they do some additional things to them. Also there is another company that makes Model 3 coilovers, but i can't find their name to save my life right now.

We really need a new Model 3 Coilover thread with all the different options, this one started way back in the day when there was maybe 1 or 2 sets from the 2x companies out in the wild and most people were voting mainly based on publicity (which MPP was incredible at with the track videos and time comparisons).

Currently i know you can get:
  1. MPP Comforts
  2. UP Regular
  3. KW Brand
  4. Novitec (KW)
  5. MPP Sport
  6. UP Race
  7. Motion Control Suspension
Also to be super clear, i think ALL of these products are very high quality and we're super fortunate to have this much diversity already available for Model 3. There is a great range of stiffness/ride quality offerings out there as well. You really can't go wrong with any of these.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: usofrob
If undecided with MPP & UP Coilovers, and just go with KW VARIANT 3. Here are actual pictures and some from the installation manual. They are both less expensive. Checkout tirerack.

Attachments

• EC893538-1CD0-4747-A200-1C97CF04CCF2.png
    EC893538-1CD0-4747-A200-1C97CF04CCF2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 139
  • 63D08DF0-4C00-4F10-8272-6CD58944D266.png
    63D08DF0-4C00-4F10-8272-6CD58944D266.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 127
  • 3B69DFE1-C265-4371-81BA-E16BF5C6F052.jpeg
    3B69DFE1-C265-4371-81BA-E16BF5C6F052.jpeg
    728.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 3C5DFE9B-6377-4ED1-AAF2-FBF0345BE321.png
    3C5DFE9B-6377-4ED1-AAF2-FBF0345BE321.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 117
  • 988FCE03-B3CA-436C-BF08-7E57EBF13981.png
    988FCE03-B3CA-436C-BF08-7E57EBF13981.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 122
Anyone down for a 30 day free trial from Unplugged Performance?

From their website....

Update – Our customer feedback is so overwhelmingly positive that we’ve begun offering an unprecedented 30 day free trial for any Model 3 driver to switch from any competitor’s suspension to Unplugged Performance coilovers. Driving is believing, satisfaction guaranteed.

• Funny
Reactions: SD_Engnr