Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2018.12 -- So where's the Navigation Update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
Elon tweeted that the much-awaited nav update would be coming out "this weekend." That was two weeks ago, so when I was notified that a new update was ready, I ran down and told Angel to update immediately. She did. The result? I found that I can now remotely open my frunk. Swell. No nav update.

What's going on? What's the official word?

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Elon tweeted that the much-awaited nav update would be coming out "this weekend." That was two weeks ago, so when I was notified that a new update was ready, I ran down and told Angel to update immediately. She did. The result? I found that I can now remotely open my frunk. Swell. No nav update.

You can remotely open your frunk? Very nice! Anything else in the update? BTW, from the videos I've seen, the new NAV update is a little over-hyped...

Takes a few days to get the navigation update once you have 2018.12. On my S, I got the new navigation system 4 days later.

Thanks. Gee it would be nice to have the update say "And hey, the new Nav update will arrive by the end of the week. Be sure to read up on the changes here... <link>. "

So where are the details on what's included in this major feature?

This is also the release with the new UI rendering engine that Elon mentioned. The overall UI lagginess is much improved. E.g. before when shifting into reverse it felt like an eternity for the rear view camera to appear. It’s much quicker now. Also tapping the homelink icon, music app, charging screen, etc seems more responsive.

• Informative
Reactions: jgrgnt
Takes a few days to get the navigation update once you have 2018.12. On my S, I got the new navigation system 4 days later.
Few days? Some have been waiting over ten days... :D There's no real automatic period, you just need at least 2018.12. And 2018.14 started a few hours ago (no new features that we can see....).

When you actually get the new maps, the release notes will update to tell you that you have them.

Few days? Some have been waiting over ten days... :D There's no real automatic period, you just need at least 2018.12. And 2018.14 started a few hours ago (no new features that we can see....).

When you actually get the new maps, the release notes will update to tell you that you have them.

Agreed, its been more than a few days for some of us. I received 2018.12 a couple of weeks ago and I still haven't received the new maps update (yes, I'm connected to Wifi pretty much every night)....waiting patiently

Hi, I’m not one to really stress about updates. Especially the “new” maps updates, because the entire car is new to me!

But, is this how the new maps is supposed to look? It sort of zooms in and out?

Or is that the regular one? I’ve had the Tesla navigate several times and it’s done pretty wel.

Attachments

• F2B0540A-5466-4D3F-8E05-B7E1CC103E26.jpeg
    F2B0540A-5466-4D3F-8E05-B7E1CC103E26.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 156
Hi, I’m not one to really stress about updates. Especially the “new” maps updates, because the entire car is new to me!

But, is this how the new maps is supposed to look? It sort of zooms in and out?

Or is that the regular one? I’ve had the Tesla navigate several times and it’s done pretty wel.

That's the new one. Yes, zooms in and out very smoothly due to vector graphics.

Had the car in for 37k service. Got 2018.14 rev but have absolutely no idea what it does other than allow me to open the frunk and trunk from my phone. Somewhat ironically when I tried to open the frunk with my phone it got stuck in no mans land - car thinks it is open but the hood hasn’t budged. I eventually got it open but it turns out I likely need a new latch. I’ll be spending a lot of time in the car over the next few days so I’ll see what else is new. I wish there was a more comprehensive release history available.

You can remotely open your frunk? Very nice! Anything else in the update? BTW, from the videos I've seen, the new NAV update is a little over-hyped...

I think it's a progressive thing - once they get the new onboard maps in place in most of the fleet, they'll start adding more functionality that hinges on that basis. I would agree that prettier animations on the driver's screen aren't a big deal to me, though I haven't actually seen them yet (got .14 a couple days ago, so I'm assuming the car is downloading the maps in the background when it feels like it.)

You ABSOLUTELY MUST be on WiFi to get the maps. No WiFi = No Maps. Unlike the firmware updates like 2018.X, which can load over LTE, maps are 5-10GB files that require WIFi because Tesla (in their words to me) "cannot afford to spend $10 worth of LTE data per car to push maps and advised me to park my car near a coffee shop that has WiFi. I finally gave up and spent a lot of money on a portable WiFi hotspot for our apartment garage plus data plan, so now we have WiFi because Tesla is too cheap!

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
You ABSOLUTELY MUST be on WiFi to get the maps. No WiFi = No Maps. Unlike the firmware updates like 2018.X, which can load over LTE, maps are 5-10GB files that require WIFi because Tesla (in their words to me) "cannot afford to spend $10 worth of LTE data per car to push maps and advised me to park my car near a coffee shop that has WiFi. I finally gave up and spent a lot of money on a portable WiFi hotspot for our apartment garage plus data plan, so now we have WiFi because Tesla is too cheap!

I'm wondering if the SpaceX satellite constellation network will fix that for us :)

I'm still waiting after 10+ days with a strong wifi signal.

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I'm wondering if the SpaceX satellite constellation network will fix that for us :)

I'm still waiting after 10+ days with a strong wifi signal.

Maybe...

That said, your car has to not only be on WiFi but also be “selected” for the maps. Tesla executive support personally told me that their servers simply lack the bandwidth to push out a 5-10GB maps update to every car simultaneously or even quickly. Moreover, the maps might have already downloaded to your car but for some reason require 2-5 days of validation before they magically active on your car. Be patient :)

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones