Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on AP Camera Update for Older S/X Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car will not upload snapshots until connected to WiFi. Car can download updates if pushed via LTE, but those are in extreme cases when an update needs to be pulled.

Last month upload of 60GB on S which is waiting for new cameras, and 113GB on 3 in the FSD beta. All on home WiFi.
Our car has always downloaded updates over LTE. Once the notification appears in the app of an update ready to download it will download usually within 48 hours over LTE with the download happening in the middle of the night. If we connect to wifi sooner then we'll get it over wifi, but even without wifi updates don't take long to come over LTE usually.

Our car has always downloaded updates over LTE. Once the notification appears in the app of an update ready to download it will download usually within 48 hours over LTE with the download happening in the middle of the night. If we connect to wifi sooner then we'll get it over wifi, but even without wifi updates don't take long to come over LTE usually.

I think that some may be able to, and some not. This thread covers it, but newer cars without premium connectivity, and not being safety related tend to have issues. I have had an update sit for 3 weeks telling me to connect on both cars. Never started downloading anything.

I can assure there are no video clips being sent over LTE.

The car will not upload snapshots until connected to WiFi. Car can download updates if pushed via LTE, but those are in extreme cases when an update needs to be pulled.

Last month upload of 60GB on S which is waiting for new cameras, and 113GB on 3 in the FSD beta. All on home WiFi.
I also have another car already on FSD beta. I wonder if it just wants uploads from all cars on the account.

Regarding my car being stuck on 36.5.1, he said he has a suspicion it might need the camera upgrade before it gets the latest software updates, but he sent a message to the software team asking about my VIN and if there's a firmware issue or if I need the camera swap before it moves on from 36.5.1. I'm just waiting to hear back from either service or software team about that. Should be 1-3 days before I get an answer.
This speculation is apparently false. My car just got 44.6 this morning. I am currently opted out. No camera upgrade. Previously stuck on 36.8 for over a month.

The only worthwhile new feature is Tidal, though.

Hey guys, I got some info from a super nice guy, Nick, from calling the Tesla support phone number just now.
It might help some of you on this thread, it might not, but at least it's something.

Regarding my car being stuck on 36.5.1, he said he has a suspicion it might need the camera upgrade before it gets the latest software updates, but he sent a message to the software team asking about my VIN and if there's a firmware issue or if I need the camera swap before it moves on from 36.5.1. I'm just waiting to hear back from either service or software team about that. Should be 1-3 days before I get an answer.

Then regarding the FSD download, he said after the camera upgrade it should ping the network saying "hey my car is ready to receive FSD" but if not, then he told me to email "fsdbeta @ tesla . com" (no spaces) with my name, info, VIN and safety score to ask them for the FSD download and they should be able to send it or explain why they can't. He said they've been really quick responding to emails so if I don't get the download after the camera swap, try emailing them.

I really hope this helps someone browsing this thread. Nick from the Tesla support number was insanely nice and seemed to know what he was talking about more than anyone I've ever talked to on the phone there.
Nick doesn't know what he is talking about. If you are stuck on 36.5.1 (like many others), it has nothing to do with needing updated cameras or whether the car is opted in or not opted in to FSD. Totally unrelated. Just wait for an update. You will get one.

This is ridiculous. I’m opted in and waiting for my cameras to arrive at my service center for the upgrade. Still on 36.5.1 and I’m watching so many people get 44.6 😭
Come on Tesla this is so frustrating lol
Really, reduce your expectations. 2021.46 for us older-car owners is much, much less than advertised. I too was getting upset at not getting this or the .44 update.

3566A9AA-2AD8-4EF8-90F3-517AF41B2B91.png

The best Christmas present would be for Tesla to actually get the equipment necessary to replace the cameras I requested back on 11/8. So far all I’ve received is a text requesting me to cancel my service appointment along with a virtual stocking filled with a couple lumps of coal.