TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Updated 100D Performance tests and Chill Mode

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by fiksegts, Nov 8, 2017.

1. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

• Like x 5
  2. CaliMS

CaliMS Member

Thank you sir! Finally some evidence of the latest 100D performance.

3. Peewee

Peewee Member

I guess what they are doing is some BETA test. They've uncorked 100D's, but aren't promising anything. Probably they are collecting data. If all goes well, they will uncork all and also state it on the website. If they find problems, they will put the cork on again (or at least with the new deliveries) and pretend it never happened.

• Like x 1
  4. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

#4 Tiger, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    What's the incentive for getting a P100D over 100D now that the price difference is about $25 000 and when all you get is less than just one second faster acceleration? Any predictions, @Troy? P100D 0-60 times should improve to 2.05, respectively?

5. aikisteve

aikisteve Member

2.05 would be awesome.Especially since that car weighs 2.3 tons. But that would have to make the next gen roadster below 2s :-o

6. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

It's a big difference, maybe I'll do a short demonstration of what 1 second to 60 MPH looks like...

• Like x 1
  7. CharlieLab

CharlieLab Member

Interesting to see if they do anything with the 90D models with respect to performance tuning.

• Like x 2
  8. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

9. xborg

xborg Member

Thanks for the video @fiksegts

I reckon P90DLs will lose some second hand value.

Btw, You've lost weight?

10. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Active Member

that happened the moment the p100d was announced. oh well, i still love the hell out of my car and have zero regrets.

• Like x 1
  11. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

I am sure that Tesla engineers are already working on programs to enhance the P100D's as well.

Continous improvement is their policy.

The competitors have no idea what they are up against when they announce their latest "Tesla Killer" By the time they get it into production, Telsa has moved even further ahead : >)

12. GaryW

GaryW Supporting Member

#12 GaryW, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    The model S 100D still takes 64% more time to get to 60 mph?

2.3 vs 3.6?

If I have the numbers and the arithmetic right, that is a huge difference.

To me that’s uuf vs ouch :)

• Helpful x 1
  13. Skipdd

Skipdd Supporting Member

In addition to other posters' points, the issue for 100D w/o boost is same price gap over 75D for a .1 sec difference. Yes there is range difference, but still an issue. That caused me to sit on the fence vs upgrade my 85D. Now that there is range + speed + AP improvement (finally), there is sufficient value to move forward..

14. Niclas

Niclas Member

This is 3.6 s with vbox and rollout. So thats 3.9 from standsstill. That means uncorking reduces 0-60 by 0.2 s (states 4.1 on tesla design studio)

15. ccdisce

ccdisce EBISU like

2017.44 is possibly not the un-corking event for the S100D IMHO.

That should come in the new year with a price increase for the 75D and the 100D in the DS and as Model 3 fills out the production line to take its place in the cash flow equation.

16. Peewee

Peewee Member

The numbers Tesla uses are also with a rollout. So the gap remains 0.5.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  17. Niclas

Niclas Member

No Tesla does not state the 0-60 incl rollout for the non-performance models. Only for P, the official 0-60 includes reduction for rollout.
    0-60 for 90 D and 100D has always been 4.2 but was lowered to 4.1 at the time of upgraded performance for 75D.
    So this means that 100D now makes 0-60 in 3.9.

• Like x 1
  18. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Oh, if ONLY Tesla was so logical and upfront about things... :D

Nope. They have unfortunately consistently inflated Performance numbers, possibly to make them look better than non-Performance models.

19. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

The numbers are only meaningful if they are measured under the same method.

20. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

That assumes this uncorking is somehow continuous improvements.

IMO they are merely removing old software limitations on the battery/motor output that were in place to artificially separate the 75, 100 and P100 models.

In that sense, there probably isn't anything left to squeeze out of P100D - unless they want to risk warranty isseus (Tesla tuned down all Performance Ludicrous models a year ago or so, only P90DL apparenly has gotten their performance back after the court case)... Ludicrous+ is probably the best we'll get...

Maybe I'm wrong, but to me this uncorking business is just about removal of marketing/sales related software limitations, nothing more. P100D obviosly does not have any marketing/sales related limitations because it was always meant to be the very best it can be...