Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded To OEM Performance Brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see you have the Performance rotor on the front. Did you also swap out the rear rotors? Did you notice any difference in dimensions?

Yes i swapped out the rear rotors for performance also...I was told by my installer the rotors didn't appear to be the same size but don't know if he actually measured them....they actually put my old rear calipers on with performance rotors but had to take the performance rotor off cause there was some rubbing so I believe him when he said it didn't appear to be same exact size.

• Informative
Reactions: Ebrake
Update: MPP front rotors and MP3 caliper upgrades no problem. Rear brakes required new rotors as well, went with MPP to match front. Had to hack wiring harness since I couldn't locate one. Had to cut away part of rotor shield. Will install tomorrow and upload photos to warn others this was not a simple swap. Probably better to go with MP3 rotor/caliper combination but make sure parking brake wiring harness is included.

Just to clear things up for people, here is some additional information. I've swapped on and off Base, Performance, and Model S brakes across two Model 3's so I am quite familiar with the setups.

If you are upgrading the Front Only (From Base to Performance) you NEED the Calipers and the Rotors. Everything else is the same. The rotors are 355mm compared to 320mm. Because the Performance rotors are technically a two-piece design, they are actually about 3lbs lighter each. The pistons are the same size, so it is OK to upgrade the front and leave the rear base brakes.

Performance Front Calipers: (1044641-00-D & 1044642-00-D)
Performance Rotors: (1044616-00-D) x2

For the Rear, a cool upgrade no one is talking about is you can use the Performance Rear Rotors with the Base Calipers. It drops about 3lbs per rotor and looks nicer; I am running this setup on my wife's car. Both the Performance and Base Rotors are the same OD (335mm), however the Performance Caliper uses a larger pad. You CANNOT use the Base Rotors with the Performance Calipers.

If you want to retrofit the Rear Performance Brakes you NEED the Calipers, Rotors, and Jumper Harnesses (for the rear EPB).

Performance Rear Calipers: (1044643-00-F & 1044644-00-F)
Performance Rear Rotors: (1044636-00-D) x2
Perf Rear Jumper Harnesses: (1098480-00-D & 1098481-00-D)

The current cost, from Tesla, for all of these parts is $3,540. Considering the cost of most BBK's on the market currently and coming, this is actually quite reasonable (as are pretty much all Tesla parts compared to any other "high-end" manufacturer).

Just to clear things up for people, here is some additional information. I've swapped on and off Base, Performance, and Model S brakes across two Model 3's so I am quite familiar with the setups.

If you are upgrading the Front Only (From Base to Performance) you NEED the Calipers and the Rotors. Everything else is the same. The rotors are 355mm compared to 320mm. Because the Performance rotors are technically a two-piece design, they are actually about 3lbs lighter each. The pistons are the same size, so it is OK to upgrade the front and leave the rear base brakes.

For the Rear, a cool upgrade no one is talking about is you can use the Performance Rear Rotors with the Base Calipers. It drops about 3lbs per rotor and looks nicer; I am running this setup on my wife's car. Both the Performance and Base Rotors are the same OD (335mm), however the Performance Caliper uses a larger pad. You CANNOT use the Base Rotors with the Performance Calipers.

If you want to retrofit the Rear Performance Brakes you NEED the Calipers, Rotors, and Jumper Harnesses (for the rear EPB).

The current cost, from Tesla, for all of these parts is $3,540. Considering the cost of most BBK's on the market currently and coming, this is actually quite reasonable (as are pretty much all Tesla parts compared to any other "high-end" manufacturer).
What about the brake shields, do they need to be replaced to when upgrading to the performance discs & calipers?
Also do you have a source where I can shop for rotors, jumper harness and shields if needed?
Thanks

What about the brake shields, do they need to be replaced to when upgrading to the performance discs & calipers?
Also do you have a source where I can shop for rotors, jumper harness and shields if needed?
Thanks

The rear performance shields ARE different but DO NOT need to be changed out. If you want it to be a 100% factory-fit install you can change those out as well.

I would recommend sourcing those parts from your local Tesla SC directly. Book an appointment through your Mobile App and copy and paste in the part numbers in the notes for the appointment of what you want.

Contrary to popular belief, all these parts are easy for the Service Center's to get you just need someone there to actually do it lol.

Reactions: magdere
The vast majority of the feel is going to come from the pad, not the rotor. That being said, the stock pad that comes with the performance caliper had much better feel than the base brakes.

Agreed, a more aggressive pad will have more initial bite and inspire a bit more braking confidence. Coupled with a larger brake rotor and a larger 4 or 6 piston brake caliper and you get more brake torque, which translates into a feeling of requiring less braking force/pressure to stop the car. It is hard to put into words but on my Corvette when I went from a 4 piston Brembo setup with 12.6" rotors to a to 6 piston 14.6" rotor combo with more aggressive pads the initial impression was a lot more initial bite and you know the limiting factor is not the brakes but only the tires.

Now at the track when the brakes starting heating up a bigger rotor with more surface area will dissipate heat better will help resist fade. You won't feel that on the street but you definitely can in spirited canyon carving and most definitely at the track and it is a very uncomfortable feeling.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricGhost
Is it just me or are the Performance pads tiny relative to the size of the calipers? Similarly-sized stuff seems to have way bigger pads...

I wouldn't say so. The pad friction area is the same size as the Model S caliper which is very similarly sized to the 3. That S Caliper is a common OEM Brembo used by Ford, GM, etc. For a 4-piston caliper using a 355mm rotor the pad size is relatively standard.

It can't be stressed enough that regen makes a massive difference to how these cars perform under braking. That's why the Performance rear pad in particular seems to be quite small given the weight of the car. The rear motor is helping a lot.

Anyone here who has played around disabling the traction control/stability control/regen/ABS will know what I mean. Once regen is off completely, the standard brakes (pads especially) are adequate at best.

Is it just me or are the Performance pads tiny relative to the size of the calipers? Similarly-sized stuff seems to have way bigger pads...
The Performance rear calipers are made of cast aluminum parts. Which requires more material to have comparable strength of parts made of cast steel. Even with more material, aluminum part might still have a weight advantage over the steel part. One undeniable benefit of the large rear Performance caliper is the large visual impact on buying customers, bigger is better. Most consumers would never see the brake pads on their car.

Racing Brake announced development of rear BBK for both standard and Performance that utilize stock calipers. The rotor diameter is increased from stock 335mm to 350mm with the BBK. The rotor thickness of the BBK rotor is 1mm thicker than stock. I believe both options are around $1500.

Last edited:
The Performance rear calipers are made of cast aluminum parts. Which requires more material to have comparable strength of parts made of cast steel. Even with more material, aluminum part might still have a weight advantage over the steel part. One undeniable benefit of the large rear Performance caliper is the large visual impact on buying customers, bigger is better. Most consumers would never see the brake pads on their car.

I would agree that the rear caliper is relatively large compared to the pad. It's also unfortunate it's single piston. A similar (to the front) fixed caliper would have been much nicer.

The rear caliper/pad choice is a real pain, but we're stuck with it, unfortunately. At least we are starting to see some aftermarket pads coming out now which should work for the track.

Last edited: