Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded To OEM Performance Brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rear performance shields ARE different but DO NOT need to be changed out. If you want it to be a 100% factory-fit install you can change those out as well.

I would recommend sourcing those parts from your local Tesla SC directly. Book an appointment through your Mobile App and copy and paste in the part numbers in the notes for the appointment of what you want.

Contrary to popular belief, all these parts are easy for the Service Center's to get you just need someone there to actually do it lol.
So front shields has to be changed than?

Just to clear things up for people, here is some additional information. I've swapped on and off Base, Performance, and Model S brakes across two Model 3's so I am quite familiar with the setups.

If you are upgrading the Front Only (From Base to Performance) you NEED the Calipers and the Rotors. Everything else is the same. The rotors are 355mm compared to 320mm. Because the Performance rotors are technically a two-piece design, they are actually about 3lbs lighter each. The pistons are the same size, so it is OK to upgrade the front and leave the rear base brakes.

Performance Front Calipers: (1044641-00-D & 1044642-00-D)
Performance Rotors: (1044616-00-D) x2

For the Rear, a cool upgrade no one is talking about is you can use the Performance Rear Rotors with the Base Calipers. It drops about 3lbs per rotor and looks nicer; I am running this setup on my wife's car. Both the Performance and Base Rotors are the same OD (335mm), however the Performance Caliper uses a larger pad. You CANNOT use the Base Rotors with the Performance Calipers.

If you want to retrofit the Rear Performance Brakes you NEED the Calipers, Rotors, and Jumper Harnesses (for the rear EPB).

Performance Rear Calipers: (1044643-00-F & 1044644-00-F)
Performance Rear Rotors: (1044636-00-D) x2
Perf Rear Jumper Harnesses: (1098480-00-D & 1098481-00-D)

The current cost, from Tesla, for all of these parts is $3,540. Considering the cost of most BBK's on the market currently and coming, this is actually quite reasonable (as are pretty much all Tesla parts compared to any other "high-end" manufacturer).

SO hypothetically from what I gather you saying about the rear being the same size as a performance and don’t want the hassle for the rear...if you want the looks and are upgrading on a base model you can buy:

Performance front calipers
MPP front rotors for performance
MPP base rear rotors
Paint rear calipers

That looks like the cheapest, biggest, upgraded brake option for base owners

Reactions: Theraven
Racing Brake announced rear BBK for both standard and Performance that utilize stock calipers. The rotor diameter is increased from stock 335mm to 355mm with the BBK. I believe both options are around $1500.
Yeah and for that amount of money I’d just buy a Miata but that’s just me... but why is he implying those two things are mutually exclusive? Brake size vs. pedal firmness?

Brake is designed as a system. Brake pedal/master cylinder pushes fluid pressure to caliper. Caliper distribute the fluid pressure to brake pads via the pistons in caliper. Let’s just say the ratio from pedal/master cylinder : caliper/piston is 1 : 1. When you increase the piston area size through increase piston size or/and piston count, the ratio is changed, pressure is lowered. Lower pressure, softer pedal feel.

Super simplistic explanation.

Reactions: Dolemite
I’m not sure if this has been covered yet in this thread, but there is no need to spend money on the e-brake wiring harness to adjust the piston for the rear pads. Your can use a 9V battery or a 12v jumper battery with 2 wires. Just tap it again and again (better to not leave it connected) until the piston moves to the position you want. This makes it easy to change the pads. Switch the polarity to change direction of the piston for the e-brake.

So front shields has to be changed than?

Yes, rotor size is different.

SO hypothetically from what I gather you saying about the rear being the same size as a performance and don’t want the hassle for the rear...if you want the looks and are upgrading on a base model you can buy:

Performance front calipers
MPP front rotors for performance
MPP base rear rotors
Paint rear calipers

That looks like the cheapest, biggest, upgraded brake option for base owners

Yes, though honestly unless you are tracking the car the stock performance rotors would be more cost effective than the MPP rotors (they are $330/set compared to ~$1,000 per set). You could do front performance calipers and all-around performance rotors for less than $2k.

To be clear, the performance rear caliper pad is a bit larger than the base rear caliper pad.

Yeah and for that amount of money I’d just buy a Miata but that’s just me... but why is he implying those two things are mutually exclusive? Brake size vs. pedal firmness?
Brake is designed as a system. Brake pedal/master cylinder pushes fluid pressure to caliper. Caliper distribute the fluid pressure to brake pads via the pistons in caliper. Let’s just say the ratio from pedal/master cylinder : caliper/piston is 1 : 1. When you increase the piston area size through increase piston size or/and piston count, the ratio is changed, pressure is lowered. Lower pressure, softer pedal feel.

Basically what he said! That's my car in the video with the big brakes and i got to use them for about ~2 months both on track and daily driving and they really did feel great. You could easily forget they were on the car during daily use (which is rare in a Tesla) since it felt so similar to my aftermarket pads with stock rotors and then on track the carbon ceramics were absolutely bulletproof.

Hello!,
So I took your advice and tried to schedule the order via the Tesla app and they responded with the following: "The retrofits that you are requesting are not possible. We are unable to order these parts for your vehicle. The hardware and firmware on your vehicle will not be compatible with these parts as you did not purchase a performance version of the vehicle".

Should I go to the nearest SC instead? I have a 2020 Long Range model 3.

Just to clear things up for people, here is some additional information. I've swapped on and off Base, Performance, and Model S brakes across two Model 3's so I am quite familiar with the setups.

If you are upgrading the Front Only (From Base to Performance) you NEED the Calipers and the Rotors. Everything else is the same. The rotors are 355mm compared to 320mm. Because the Performance rotors are technically a two-piece design, they are actually about 3lbs lighter each. The pistons are the same size, so it is OK to upgrade the front and leave the rear base brakes.

Performance Front Calipers: (1044641-00-D & 1044642-00-D)
Performance Rotors: (1044616-00-D) x2

For the Rear, a cool upgrade no one is talking about is you can use the Performance Rear Rotors with the Base Calipers. It drops about 3lbs per rotor and looks nicer; I am running this setup on my wife's car. Both the Performance and Base Rotors are the same OD (335mm), however the Performance Caliper uses a larger pad. You CANNOT use the Base Rotors with the Performance Calipers.

If you want to retrofit the Rear Performance Brakes you NEED the Calipers, Rotors, and Jumper Harnesses (for the rear EPB).

Performance Rear Calipers: (1044643-00-F & 1044644-00-F)
Performance Rear Rotors: (1044636-00-D) x2
Perf Rear Jumper Harnesses: (1098480-00-D & 1098481-00-D)

The current cost, from Tesla, for all of these parts is $3,540. Considering the cost of most BBK's on the market currently and coming, this is actually quite reasonable (as are pretty much all Tesla parts compared to any other "high-end" manufacturer).

Hello!,
So I took your advice and tried to schedule the order via the Tesla app and they responded with the following: "The retrofits that you are requesting are not possible. We are unable to order these parts for your vehicle. The hardware and firmware on your vehicle will not be compatible with these parts as you did not purchase a performance version of the vehicle".

I have for sale a performance kit (rotor plus caliper and pad and jumper wire of the performance ) used condition but perfect working condition !

approx 4000 km on the kit

1 of the pad have a small chip on the top but working perfectly! asking 725$ for everything plus shipping (heavy)

eric
3BC34C10-36D1-4B53-8B8A-53A6AD6E7C1C.jpeg
3F690BF5-DE76-4833-9405-278648996EC1.jpeg
346CDC37-F083-403E-95FA-9AE4F6B3EC86.jpeg
2D79CBDE-12E0-4EEF-8980-55A138673B75.jpeg
602D1D1B-2AA7-41A8-A51C-B40E2E9623E2.jpeg
ECF708E5-6988-45CC-826B-77B2FE5035C9.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello!,

Well that is ridiculous. If there's a different SC nearby I would try that. I would not mention anything about retrofitting, installing, etc. Just list the part numbers you need and state you would like to come pick the parts up. I am sure they wouldn't install these, but there's no reason they can't sell the parts to you.

Well that is ridiculous. If there's a different SC nearby I would try that. I would not mention anything about retrofitting, installing, etc. Just list the part numbers you need and state you would like to come pick the parts up. I am sure they wouldn't install these, but there's no reason they can't sell the parts to you.

If you have a friend that has a performance he can probably order it for you

Super simplistic explanation.

When I had a honda civic and did integra type r 5 lug swap I had to get the brake booster b/c just swapping the spindles wasn't enough and the brakes were squishy just as beastmode mentioned.

Reactions: beastmode13
I have for sale a performance kit (rotor plus caliper and pad and jumper wire of the performance ) used condition but perfect working condition !

approx 4000 km on the kit

1 of the pad have a small chip on the top but working perfectly! asking 725$ for everything plus shipping (heavy)

ericView attachment 510229View attachment 510230 View attachment 510231View attachment 510232 View attachment 510233View attachment 510234
Full set
only rear sorry
Would you sell the rotors alone?

Basically what he said! That's my car in the video with the big brakes and i got to use them for about ~2 months both on track and daily driving and they really did feel great. You could easily forget they were on the car during daily use (which is rare in a Tesla) since it felt so similar to my aftermarket pads with stock rotors and then on track the carbon ceramics were absolutely bulletproof.
Do you know what the piston sizes are in those big Brembo calipers?
Do you still have them on the car or have you switched to something else?