Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading 2015 model S to CCS charging. worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got an email from Tesla. I'm in the UK, with an 85D model S from 2015, MCU1, AP1. Very happy with it. I have the old fashioned charge port (is it type 2?) and a home charger that has an attached cable that I plug into my S to charge overnight.
I just got offered a CCS upgrade for £450. I'm happy to pay for it if it actually achieves anything...but does it? i know this means I could then use the CCS cables on the superchargers instead of the old ones, but will that *actually* speed up the charge rate on a 2015 model S? and do I then have *both* sockets...allowing me to leave my home charging situation unchanged?

I dont monitor my charge speeds obsessively so I couldnt tell you if I was affected by the charge rate changes. Is there any way, short of driving to a supercharger to now what my last charge rate was? We are in lockdown now and i'm not travelling far enough to use the supercharger network right now.
Help!

I just got offered a CCS upgrade for £450. I'm happy to pay for it if it actually achieves anything...but does it? i know this means I could then use the CCS cables on the superchargers instead of the old ones, but will that *actually* speed up the charge rate on a 2015 model S? and do I then have *both* sockets...allowing me to leave my home charging situation unchanged?

All it is is an adapter and some internal hardware that allows you to use non-Tesla CCS charging stations. (The port on your car is not changed.) It won't make any difference at a Supercharger site. But if you travel where there isn't a Supercharger, but there is a third-party CCS charger available it can be very handy.

Tesal is only building new v3 superchargers in Norway and have already decided to remove one v2 charger. So the €300 upgrade charge is needed to be able to use the unlimeted free use of supercharger network I paid for when getting the car back in 2015.
€300 is not a whole lot of money but still rather annoying to pay again for something I already paid for

Tesal is only building new v3 superchargers in Norway and have already decided to remove one v2 charger. So the €300 upgrade charge is needed to be able to use the unlimeted free use of supercharger network I paid for when getting the car back in 2015.
€300 is not a whole lot of money but still rather annoying to pay again for something I already paid for
Could you explain what you are talking about? Version 2 or 3 Supercharger cabinets are all just backend hardware differences, but the use to the car is the same except for charging power. Why are you thinking that a change from v2 to v3 will impact your ability to use them?

Could you explain what you are talking about? Version 2 or 3 Supercharger cabinets are all just backend hardware differences, but the use to the car is the same except for charging power. Why are you thinking that a change from v2 to v3 will impact your ability to use them?

Because in Europe V3 Superchargers only have CCS connectors, and the older S&X don't have a CCS port and didn't come with the necessary adapter. (So you have to buy an adapter and get a retro-fit installed in your car to use the V3 stalls. Though I wonder if the retro-fit is required for V3 Superchargers, I would think that would only be necessary for third-party CCS chargers.)

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Because in Europe V3 Superchargers only have CCS connectors, and the older S&X don't have a CCS port and didn't come with the necessary adapter. (So you have to buy an adapter and get a retro-fit installed in your car to use the V3 stalls.)
Oh, OK. I had seen with the existing V2 that they had installed both kinds of cables. I didn't know they were switching to just one when the new installs.

Just had mine done last week, guy was cool and answered my questions on mobile service. Whole job only took an hour but did not check the update had taken, so car is constantly stuck at 80% of CCS software update and i have no satnav, 3G and heating is messed up!

Standard reply from Tesla...it's a connection internet issue...nope I can download at 340mb sec on fiber and car is parked 5 feet from WIFI router. Need this sorted as I have to hard boot several times to be able to use it each time they send the same update after I tell them it just sticks at 80%

Just had my CCS upgrade done today. With 100 miles left on range, car started with 135kWatts 450 miles per hour, tad faster than before.

I'd expect 500+ miles per hour when lower starting point

Attachments

• 20200915_172417.jpg
    20200915_172417.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 399
Reactions: MorrisonHiker