Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset at Major Headliner Issue - Anyone notice this? (resolved)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my beautiful white P85 today in Boston - absolutely has the Alcantra headliner, sun visors, and seat inserts. Looks awesome. I asked and was told that it is standard for P85 's so I'd talk to Tesla about yours. Must have been a mistake.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no mistake an internal memo that was passed onto me, was that performance models will be receiving cloth headliner. I am totally bummed about this change and still considering if I will opt out on this production until I will be provided with the items and terms that was offered. I was told by Tesla at their florida Dania showroom.

There is no mistake an internal memo that was passed onto me, was that performance models will be receiving cloth headliner. I am totally bummed about this change and still considering if I will opt out on this production until I will be provided with the items and terms that was offered. I was told by Tesla at their florida Dania showroom.

This isn't like the 21" wheels no longer being "free" (which at least was announced properly). This also isn't like the "3G connectivity" which all of us were CLEARLY communicated to us by Tesla that eventually we will all need to pay for it.

I love Tesla, but this one is a MAJOR issue. This is deceptive behavior. This is something all of us knew about (especially due to the official BB post mentioned above "Nappa Leather Interior package, plus an Alcantara headliner ($1,900 on a Porsche Panamera)"). It was in all the P85s; it was officially mentioned. It might not have shown up officially spelled out on the description or specs page, but does every technical detail need to be? No. Like they even mentioned, this is not a *cheap* feature. It costs $1900 on the Porsche. We all expected it. We all paid for it.

Technically, this could be considered fraud. "Fraud is intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual....fraud is a crime and a civil law violation". This IS clearly an intentional deception made for personal gain. I think any lawyer would agree with this. (unless they reduce the price of the P85 by ~$1900 and refund all new already-paid-for P85's delivered with the cloth, then there is no personal gain and thus no case). Again, I love Tesla, but I really think there is enough data to warrant a fraud lawsuit about the Alcantara headliner. I feel bad for the one who would be THAT GUY because I love Tesla and want them to succeed. I want them to do what is right. And this deceptive change is not right. I think it's possible someone might do it in this case because it's such a major item.

IMO If this really is a permanent change, they need to make a statement about this like they did with the wheels change and rear child seat change and offer those were were deceived some options (retrofit or partial refund). Else they are just risking a lawsuit...something they don't need right now.

Related, they also need to eventually release wifi support and hard drive storage for music like those were also promised...

I agree they need to address this and fix it for the people who thought they were getting the correct headliner but where does it say Alcantra headliner and not just Alcantra accents? They should clearly state Alcantra headliner as part of the performance package or if they need to make it an added cost option on top of the performance package, do it from now onward for people who haven't finalized.

Exactly, like the 21" wheels, if they announce it going forward it is one thing but just randomly changing it is a bait and switch. I have to admit that it never would have concerned me until this thread but one of the first things I looked at when I picked up the car yesterday was the liner. Happy to see the Alcantra.

Actually I may be among the first people to have NO due items! My HPWC arrived earlier this week and I didn't order a parcel shelf.

It doesn't say alcantara headliner anywhere, but I could swear it looks alcantara in the design studio. Although they might have some tiny text that says it's a computer image that doesn't exactly replicate the textures/colors. I'd be curious to hear an explanation such as the supplier increased prices or something outside their control.

Just as an aside I'm in a BMW 7 series and it has leather seats but cloth headliner and all pillars in cloth.

And I currently drive an Audi A8L with the Alcantara headliner...With all due respect, what does this have to do with price of tea in China, as the saying goes?
As I see it, Tesla set the bar high when they communicated the price increase in advance as well as change to the jump seat options. They grandfathered in the folks who puts their deposits down before the end of 2012. WRT the jump seats, again the communicated in advance and gave folks time to act accordingly. Not so with the alcantara switcheroo. When we decide to purchase the MS, we do so never seeing the car actual car we will own....unlike a traditional ICE purchase. We don't test drive a car in the lot and go home with it. We rely on cars in the showroom as well as the car that we test drive. It was never conveyed to me that the P85 will no longer come with the alcantara headliner BEFORE I finalized my order. I am an investor in TMC and I suspect that this move will, in the long run cut operating costs for the company...and I don't have a beef with that. The huge misstep, IMHO is that TM did not communicate this change and allow for orders that were already finalized to include the suede headliner. They could have said something like orders finalized AFTER April 15 for example ,will have the cloth interior. As it stands, the move penalizes ALL the red reservation holders (myself included), who have been patiently waiting for their cars. I went to my local dealership this weekend and some of salespeople there were unaware of the change. Tesla has behaved with integrity in the past but failed to do so this time. They can do better than this.

I agree they need to address this and fix it for the people who thought they were getting the correct headliner but where does it say Alcantra headliner and not just Alcantra accents? They should clearly state Alcantra headliner as part of the performance package or if they need to make it an added cost option on top of the performance package, do it from now onward for people who haven't finalized.
I recall them saying the P85 would be "replete with Alcantara". The definition of "replete" is: abundantly supplied or provided; filled; complete. Making the headliner cloth means the only alcantara you'll have are the seat bolsters right? That is FAR from replete. Frankly I'm reading this thread and I'm dumbfounded how anyone could possibly be clueless enough to make this kind of decision in the first place. Then after being stupid enough to make this decision you go on to not inform their customers? Did they not think anyone would notice? I can forgive all the stuff related to the ramp-up and growing the company but this is a deliberate screwing of people. I'll be interested to hear the reasoning behind this but on the surface it looks like they're trying to save $1,000/car and if so that means they are closer to the edge of survivability than I'd like.

Otherwise, if it's a supplier problem, tell the P85's who are coming up there will be a delay if they want alcantara or that they can have their car now with cloth. People may whine that their car will be delayed but if you give them the choice then they'll feel like they have some control.

a9jU2Ap.gif

I picked up my blue P85 on Friday in San Diego and mine has the cloth headliner too. I was very disappointed and am eager to hear Tesla's response to you. I would want it replaced with alcantara as well. The upholstering of the headliner in the rear seat is also misaligned in my car where it meets the pano roof. I am taking the car back to the service cnter tomorrow to try and get that fixed. I love driving my car and all its tech features but the quality of the upholstery has been disppoining. The floor mats are appallingly cheap as well - so glad I knew about those in advance and ordered Lloyd's mats to replace them.

I recall them saying the P85 would be "replete with Alcantara". The definition of "replete" is: abundantly supplied or provided; filled; complete. Making the headliner cloth means the only alcantara you'll have are the seat bolsters right? That is FAR from replete. Frankly I'm reading this thread and I'm dumbfounded how anyone could possibly be clueless enough to make this kind of decision in the first place. Then after being stupid enough to make this decision you go on to not inform their customers? Did they not think anyone would notice? I can forgive all the stuff related to the ramp-up and growing the company but this is a deliberate screwing of people. I'll be interested to hear the reasoning behind this but on the surface it looks like they're trying to save $1,000/car and if so that means they are closer to the edge of survivability than I'd like.

If they used the word replete then I agree. I didn't remember they saying that. Hopefully it was just a glitch and they can fix those affected or make it more clear for future buyers.

Here is what was posted by Tesla on Their site:

WHY ISN'T THERE A CREDIT FOR 19" WHEELS IN THE PERFORMANCE PACKAGE?
nkinkaid@teslam... | NOVEMBER 24, 2012
The Performance Package was priced assuming a 19" wheel. Here is how we arrived at Performance pricing:

Base 85 kWh Model S $77,400
Performance Drive Unit $10,000
Upgraded Interior and Treatments $3,500
Active Air Suspension $1,500
Total $92,400
The $10,000 Performance Drive unit includes upgraded drive components, hardware and software.

The $3,500 Upgraded Interior includes all items in the $1,500 Nappa Leather Interior package, plus an Alcantara headliner ($1,900 on a Porsche Panamera), additional leather treatments and Alcantara seat bolsters ($600), Carbon Fiber décor option ($500 on Audi S7), and contrast color piping on seats ($200). This package rolls up to between $4,200 and $4,700 (depending upon if you choose the Carbon Fiber Décor on not), but was included in the Performance Package at $3,500.

The $92,400 price assumed a 19" wheel. However, we wanted our very early reservation holders to have the option to choose their favorite wheel as part of the Performance Package at no additional cost.

Like my father always said, "If it is not in writing, it does not exist."

If they can do this, what features are safe? I'm ordering multi red with black perf interior. Could they suddenly decide to deliver it with blue piping? I don't think they've promised in writing that the piping is red, but they have certainly created an expectation through pictures and prior deliveries. Same with the headliner. Do the demo cars have Alcantara?

The Performance Package was priced assuming a 19" wheel. Here is how we arrived at Performance pricing:

Total $92,400
The $10,000 Performance Drive unit includes upgraded drive components, hardware and software.

The $3,500 Upgraded Interior includes all items in the $1,500 Nappa Leather Interior package, plus an Alcantara headliner ($1,900 on a Porsche Panamera), additional leather treatments and Alcantara seat bolsters ($600), Carbon Fiber décor option ($500 on Audi S7), and contrast color piping on seats ($200). This package rolls up to between $4,200 and $4,700 (depending upon if you choose the Carbon Fiber Décor on not), but was included in the Performance Package at $3,500.

The $92,400 price assumed a 19" wheel. However, we wanted our very early reservation holders to have the option to choose their favorite wheel as part of the Performance Package at no additional cost.

They need to fix it for the people affected then. If they need to change it then it should be from an announcement they make and into the future.

If they can do this, what features are safe? I'm ordering multi red with black perf interior. Could they suddenly decide to deliver it with blue piping? I don't think they've promised in writing that the piping is red, but they have certainly created an expectation through pictures and prior deliveries. Same with the headliner. Do the demo cars have Alcantara?

Exactly. I'm sure they can legally get out of it based on their disclaimers, etc. However, that would not be the right thing to do for them to do. I'll hopefully hear an update sometime this week.

Thanks all.

- - - Updated - - -

Total $92,400

Thanks for the info. I think someone else posted this as well. Great find and it helps support my/our cause.