Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA MY RWD has soft limited LR battery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2024 RWD Ys have 6 fewer speakers, only 1 amp, and no sub (according to the feature details on the US site). That was one of the reasons I decided to pull the trigger on an inventory 2023 RWD today (that and the price seemed about as low as it would go)

2024 RWD Ys have 6 fewer speakers, only 1 amp, and no sub (according to the feature details on the US site). That was one of the reasons I decided to pull the trigger on an inventory 2023 RWD today (that and the price seemed about as low as it would go)
How much was the inventory 2023 RWD? I am surprised you found one. There are none in my state. I got mine for 40K MSRP after markdown in Dec.

I am curious about something: If I pay less for a car with a battery limited by software, and the battery fails out of warranty, do I still pay “full-price” for the replacement battery (even though its functionality is software limited by the manufacturer)? Or do I pay a reduced price because it has reduced usefulness by design?

How much was the inventory 2023 RWD? I am surprised you found one. There are none in my state. I got mine for 40K MSRP after markdown in Dec.
It was $38,270…I’ve been tracking this car for a while…I wonder if there isn’t another $900 in discounts still to come (if any remain after this weekend) but the price I’d set for myself as “I can’t pass this up” was $37.9; I decided for $300 I wasn’t going to wait any longer. This isn’t my first electric car, but it is my first Tesla; excited to pick it up this AM (Tesla moved up the delivery date to today once I paid for it online yesterday).

Just for clarity, the US MYLR has had an approx 82 kWh battery since early 2021. They apparently unlocked a little extra capacity around that point. Physical battery didn't change.
They changed the battery cells from the classic panasonic 2170 to the panasonic 2170L.

No unlock 2021.

The old panasonic 2170 was 77.8kWh and the new 2170L is 82.1kWh.

Are you sure? Tesla website says it is.
Where do they say that the 2023 qualifies when purchased in 2024?

Here is one demo 2023 in inventory:

1705351134294.png

Here is a new one:

1705351194180.png

This is because for the 2023 version they used battery pack imported from China, the same one used in the 2023 Model 3 LR. (Which also doesn't qualify in 2024.) For the 2024 Model Y RWD they must be using a Panasonic based battery. (Unknown if it is a LR that is software limited or if they started making a smaller battery again.)

Reactions: jsight and ven7782