Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB port management if the Dashcam update in Rev 9 takes 1 port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so I went down to my car to try it out and did confirm that it will not charge iOS devices. Naturally, if you have a Qi wireless charger (as the Nomad), it will charge through that.

I did figure out an alternate solution for people plugging in iPhones direct - you can plug a portable charger into the splitter which will charge and plug the iPhone into the charger and the iPhone will charge (and as an added benefit, this will also charge the phone even if the car is off - of course, this would have to be the phone that is not the "car key").

It's been four days and the setup still works. To avoid having to find the original reference, the USB splitter I bought was:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KX4TKH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just bought this one. Still getting good results from it?

I found that this does work, but the first partition on the disk needs to be for dash cam, and the second partition for music. The opposite configuration doesn't work.

Just fyi - tried creating two FAT32 partitions on a large USB drive, one for music and one for dashcam with TeslaCam folder. The music app showed two USB drives, but the dashcam icon never came up.

I found that this does work, but the first partition on the disk needs to be for dash cam, and the second partition for music. The opposite configuration doesn't work.

Not quite. Windows 7 and older versions of Windows 10 only allow the first partition for a flash drive. If you want to keep using Windows 7, you can patch your OS to allow multiple partitions. Another possibility depending on the flash drive is to use the Lexar tool to flip the removable bit, which would allow multiple partitions to be visible on all Windows OSes.

Not sure if you guys saw. If you have two separate partitions on your usb stick. You can have music and dash cam data on one stick.

So if we can have two separate partitions for TeslaCam and music, how much space should we allocate for each? Ideally, I'd prefer to have as much space available for music as possible. Are we aware of any size limits here?

So if we can have two separate partitions for TeslaCam and music, how much space should we allocate for each? Ideally, I'd prefer to have as much space available for music as possible. Are we aware of any size limits here?

I just pulled my stick out to see what was on it. It was successfully recording over 24 hours with no corruption, but I only had recordingfrom today. It was less than 1 GB of space. I allocated 4GB of space, but I don't think it's ever going to come close to that.

Has anyone successfully used a Mac OSX "MS-DOS(FAT)" format with the dashcam?

I have been running mine via Mac OSX format and I have yet to see the icon greyed out or not working since installing last friday. That being said, i have yet to pull it out to view the files as I may jinx it. haha

There is a great thread on how to do two partitions. It seems 16GB is plenty for 1 hour rotational writing and to save off some of the files. And the rest can be for music. I saw in another thread that you need to make the first partition to be your TeslaCam partition and music second. The other way around has not worked for some people.

• Informative
Reactions: Snow Drift
Hi all! I found a way to split the USB port *without* having to use a USB hub if you want charging on one port and dash cam on the other.

Just get this little cable: Onvian USB Splitter Cable Male to 2 Female Adapter USB A Cord 2 Port Hub Data Charging Syncing (Only one Port Data) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KX4TKH6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_VOE1BbM0GYBFT

Important thing to note here is that the red marked USB port is power only; hey this splitter, out your USB stick in the unmarrie port and put your charging cable into the red marked port and you're all set! I've tried this and it works great on my M3

Hi all! I found a way to split the USB port *without* having to use a USB hub if you want charging on one port and dash cam on the other.

Just get this little cable: Onvian USB Splitter Cable Male to 2 Female Adapter USB A Cord 2 Port Hub Data Charging Syncing (Only one Port Data) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KX4TKH6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_VOE1BbM0GYBFT

Important thing to note here is that the red marked USB port is power only; hey this splitter, out your USB stick in the unmarrie port and put your charging cable into the red marked port and you're all set! I've tried this and it works great on my M3

Doesn't work with apple devices for charging (says so in description, and I've personally confirmed that's true)