Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB port management if the Dashcam update in Rev 9 takes 1 port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Follow up- the product description now says on amazon it doesn't charge apple phones. (but presumably would do android)

So I suppose the cable is still useful to some. I guess I'll use it for the dashcam USB and the android cable if Tesla ever gives me one (car came with 0 phone cables, waiting on them to order me some).

Doesn't leave me with a solution for charging my actual phone though since the other USB front port needs to be used for music USB key.... (well a solution other than ugly ones like running a USB cable to a rear port, or using a 12v charger when the center console doesn't seem to have any way to run a cable out with the lid closed)

Follow up- the product description now says on amazon it doesn't charge apple phones. (but presumably would do android)

So I suppose the cable is still useful to some. I guess I'll use it for the dashcam USB and the android cable if Tesla ever gives me one (car came with 0 phone cables, waiting on them to order me some).

Doesn't leave me with a solution for charging my actual phone though since the other USB front port needs to be used for music USB key.... (well a solution other than ugly ones like running a USB cable to a rear port, or using a 12v charger when the center console doesn't seem to have any way to run a cable out with the lid closed)

You can run a cable from the 12v inside the side panel so the cable is hidden. There is a YouTube video on this forum somewhere showing how to do it - looks pretty simple.

Per several different suggestions in different forums, I am going to try
1. Install a 12V power socket next to the USB ports, powered from a 12V spot under the dash and plug the phone charger lines in to a 2 port adapter plugged into the socket. (https://www.model3ownersclub.com/threads/heres-how-to-safely-tap-12v-power-for-add-ons.8011/ for the power location,
for the power socket installation)
2. Split off a 12V line from the line in point 1, add another socket hidden under the lower console, and power my Magnetic Power 2 XVIDA Qi Charger with it. See the above youtube for the location for the lower console location for a power socket.
3. Use one of my spare 240 GB SSD drives with a SATA/USB adapter for music storage, plugged in to one of the now empty USB ports in the front. One of the forums had someone advise to use SSDs rather than thumb drives for greater stability in a high read/write environment.
4. Use another 240 GB SSDs in the other USB port in the front for storage for the DashCam once V9 comes out. I was going to use a hub and drive both SSDs off of one USB port, but I fear one port will not be powerful enough to power 2 SSDs. There are several forums over in the Model S side where they are using SSDs for music storage. If it works there, it should work here.
This will happen when I get the parts in, and get enough courage to start popping dash panels off of my week-old Tesla. Several of the instructions I have seen take it for granted that I will know where and what to pop in order to remove panels. I think I will dig a little deeper to see if anyone has more clear videos on how to pop out the panels above the drivers knees to get to this wiring. Wish me luck.

If I unplug one of the cables on my Nomad, will charging slow down when I have only one phone charging? I rarely ride with two people in the car. When I do, the regular passenger, has a loop thing on the back of the phone that keeps them from charging wireless anyway. If it doesn't slow down my day to day use, I'm just going to leave it with one USB plugged in and forget about it.

If I unplug one of the cables on my Nomad, will charging slow down when I have only one phone charging? I rarely ride with two people in the car. When I do, the regular passenger, has a loop thing on the back of the phone that keeps them from charging wireless anyway. If it doesn't slow down my day to day use, I'm just going to leave it with one USB plugged in and forget about it.

On their site, Nomad states "In order to achieve fast wireless charging for two devices simultaneously, both front USB ports must be attached to this device. It can be plugged into one port while the other is accessible, slowing the rate at which two phones charge."

I bought this USB splitter from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KX4TKH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's only been two days but seems to be working fine. I added some songs to the thumb drive and have been able to listen to them and the Nomad seems to be charging fine (Amber or white lights on both side). Other people have reported issues with this splitter but have not encountered any yet (you need to make sure the thumb drive is plugged into the correct side as one side only charges).

The TeslaCam folder is still empty but guessing that has more to do with the fact I don't have Ver. 9 yet.

Reactions: golfpilot
I was counting on the TeslaCam folder on the music USB Stick until I read this thread.

I have just installed one of those Dual Wireless Charger trays and used this Hub to power both sides.
I was planning on using the other port for both Music and TeslaCam.

Well I just plugged in a USB Drive into the Hub and the Music Came right up.
So this one Port is charging two wireless chargers and the Music Drive is working while the other port is still free (for TeslaCam).

I have not done long term testing or put my much larger 128gb drive in it yet, but it looks like it's a "real" computer and not a "smart car radio", like most cars.

I think I will run 2 of these hubs, assuming the DashCam stick is happy on the Hub also.

I want as much current on each wireless charger as I can. So I may do this.

Left Port -> Hub (TeslaCam, Wireless Charger)
Right Port -> Hub (Music, Wireless Charger)

I prefer not tear apart the console to bring more power options forward, but I will if this doesn't work reliably.

This is the hub below https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XMD7KPU

31295243678_98afa307f6_b_d.jpg

I was counting on the TeslaCam folder on the music USB Stick until I read this thread.

I have just installed one of those Dual Wireless Charger trays and used this Hub to power both sides.
I was planning on using the other port for both Music and TeslaCam.

Well I just plugged in a USB Drive into the Hub and the Music Came right up.
So this one Port is charging two wireless chargers and the Music Drive is working while the other port is still free (for TeslaCam).

I have not done long term testing or put my much larger 128gb drive in it yet, but it looks like it's a "real" computer and not a "smart car radio", like most cars.

I think I will run 2 of these hubs, assuming the DashCam stick is happy on the Hub also.

I want as much current on each wireless charger as I can. So I may do this.

Left Port -> Hub (TeslaCam, Wireless Charger)
Right Port -> Hub (Music, Wireless Charger)

I prefer not tear apart the console to bring more power options forward, but I will if this doesn't work reliably.

This is the hub below https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XMD7KPU

31295243678_98afa307f6_b_d.jpg

Link goes to a product listed as "currently unavailable" :(

Link goes to a product listed as "currently unavailable" :(

Sorry had not noticed it was now unavailable, I bought it not that long ago. There was a link to a newer version that looks almost identical. Has button on each port.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Individual-MacBook-Surface-Notebook/dp/B071G83CNN

I don't think it's anything all that special and I expect lots of hubs will work. Keep in mind I have not tested it extensively, but looks promising.

Come to think of it, I wanted to get a 2nd one myself. I'm gonna wait for V9 TeslaCam to see if it works as well on the hub, I expect it will.

Where are you putting these hubs? In the armrest / storage console or up near the dash? (Don't have my m3 yet). If in the armrest / storage console is there a notch cut out so you can close it without smushing or pinching a charging cord while resting your arm on it? Is there a high speed usb port in the armrest / storage console or is it just the 12v cigarette lighter port?

Where are you putting these hubs? In the armrest / storage console or up near the dash? (Don't have my m3 yet). If in the armrest / storage console is there a notch cut out so you can close it without smushing or pinching a charging cord while resting your arm on it? Is there a high speed usb port in the armrest / storage console or is it just the 12v cigarette lighter port?

Under where the phone tray there is 2 USB Sockets. That phone tray lifts up.
That area IS the front storage area. Also covered by then lid that people like to scratch ;)
Nothing gets pinched, plenty of room.
I might Velcro the hubs somewhere around, possibly on the back of the tray.
The storage area is mostly covered in a textured fuzzy cloth. (typical stuff).

There are 2 USB (power only) way in the back for rear passengers (Exposed).
There is also a Cigarette Lighter Socket under the arm rest.
But this is separated by a wall. So there are 2 storage areas, front and back, both fairly large.

Some people have routed USB cable from the cigarette lighter USB adapter up front for higher current devices (like faster wireless charger). I'm trying to avoid that and use the "Data" ports for everything, using a couple hubs.

I did plug in a 128gb stick in the hub and it worked. 10,000 songs. I then tried plugging a 2nd stick in the hub and it worked too.
But there are only 2 slots for "USB Browsing" on the UI. Not sure what happens with a 3rd (not that I need a 3rd).

• Informative
Reactions: TT97
Just fyi - tried creating two FAT32 partitions on a large USB drive, one for music and one for dashcam with TeslaCam folder. The music app showed two USB drives, but the dashcam icon never came up.
The readme for the release explicitly states you can't use the same drive for music and dashcam

The definition of "drive" is a little ambiguous, but @sumitkgarg's experiment suggests it does indeed mean physical drive, not logical. If so, it's hub time.

I just finished installing this in my Model 3, to use along with a Nomad wireless charge mat.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-5-Port...UTF8&qid=1539051407&sr=8-3&keywords=anker+12v

I used the video RPM Tesla posted on YouTube here as a guide with some modifications:

I ran the cabling along the passenger's side of the car because it's easier to work with that side since the steering wheel isn't in the way, and the the cable with the Anker 12v to USB hub is long enough, with plenty of slack left.

I had to make 2 cuts into the plastic/felt after removing the 2 trim pieces, and the cuts had to be bigger and deeper than shown in RPM Tesla's video since the Anker cable is thicker than the one they used. I made one cut just to the rear of the rubber nub that RPM Tesla runs their cable under, and then I made another cut a little to rear of the section where the Nomad wireless charge mat sits. I found the cut cannot be made up top like shown in RPM Tesla's video, because Anker's cable is thicker and will not fit between the trim and Nomad wireless charge mat, while allowing the forward door of the center console to close.

When running the Anker cable, I jammed it into the space in below where the metal trim piece goes. The cable fits in the space down there and between the lower plastic trim piece that you don't have to remove. When running it back up and then through the cut I made near the Nomad mat, I avoided the hinge for the center console door and also avoided the screw holes and clips. Using small pieces of tape helps to route the Anker cable there.

The Anker 12v to USB hub includes a nice piece of 3M double sided foam tape, so I was able to mount the USB hub to the wall of the center console where the car's front USB ports are located. This way the Nomad's USB cables reach the hub, and there's still room to plug USB flash drives into the car's front USB ports for use with the dashcam feature of software version 9.

These pics aren't the greatest since I installed this at night while the car is parked in my garage, but I'm happy with the results. Once I got the trim pieces back on, you can't tell that I made the 2 cuts.
Imgur

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: untilcomplete
In that video they show you needing to actually cut part of the console trim to get the wire in the front area...

But in this video-

at about 2:50, he mentions that under the metal rail there's an existing hole you can use to put wiring through.... Is that not actually true?