Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Teslas FSD module upgrade path?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Post#10: Correction on the year of production.

The correct year for zero camera or Classic Tesla should be from 2012 to October 2014.

I mistakenly wrote October 2016 which is AP2 and which is not Classic Tesla.

AP1 is from October 2014.

Sorry. I was talking and typing at the same time.

Seems like you’re getting closer to understanding, but someone should tell you that unless the car already has the full self driving option, it will cost you $5,000 to add it, not $3,000.

Also, if you really want to understand what you’re buying, use a third party site like ev-cpo.com that lists out Tesla’s inventory and used cars by specific options, hardware configuration, etc.

This is what this article is saying. The way I understand it and i could totally be off hence i ask you guys. But if original owner already paid for AP why would i pay for it again? It's there already. Lets say car i buy 2017 Model S that has AP 2.0 already i'm just adding second option FSD which is $3k. No?

TESLA FULL SELF-DRIVING (FSD) CAPABILITY, UPDATED FEBRUARY 28, 2019
Autopilot Full Self-Driving Cost

The cost for Tesla’s Full Self-Driving feature also varies depending on the date of vehicle purchase. FSD requires Autopilot.

• FSD – $2,000 (this is the newly introduced 50% discount) when added to any Model S, Model X, or Model 3 that was purchased with Enhanced Autopilot before February 28, 2019. Total cost of EAP ($5,000) + FSD ($2,000) = $7,000.
  • FSD – $3,000 when added to any Model S, Model X, or Model 3 that was purchased without Enhanced Autopilot before February 28, 2019. Total cost of AP ($2,000) + FSD ($3,000) = $5,000.
  • FSD – $5,000 when added at the time of vehicle purchase on February 28, 2019, or anytime thereafter. Total cost of AP ($3,000) + FSD ($5,000) = $8,000.
  • FSD – $7,000 when added to a vehicle that was purchased on February 28, 2019, or anytime thereafter, and already delivered. Total cost of AP ($4,000) + FSD ($7,000) = $11,000.
Tesla (Enhanced) Autopilot vs. Full Self-Driving: What's the difference now?

Last edited:
Post#10: Correction on the year of production.

The correct year for zero camera or Classic Tesla should be from 2012 to October 2014.

I mistakenly wrote October 2016 which is AP2 and which is not Classic Tesla.

AP1 is from October 2014.

Sorry. I was talking and typing at the same time.

I think i want Tesla with solid front bumper which i think it's Oct 2016 which i think all of those are AP2 correct?

They look more fresh. That mouth grill i think it's getting dated look a bit already. So basically i should shoot for Oct 2016 plus ?

BTW is Performance P (ludacris) worth it? It's super expensive like 15k extra. Thank you guys for all the help.

...solid front bumper...

Tesla has a nose cone from 2012 to June 2016.

It lost its nose cone and got a refreshed front fascia starting June 2016: That's another 4 months of AP1 until it would get AP2 in October.

Refreshed front fascia does not always mean AP2 because it could be born before October 2016.

Some refreshed front fascia are AP1!

This is what this article is saying. The way I understand it and i could totally be off hence i ask you guys. But if original owner already paid for AP why would i pay for it again? It's there already. Lets say car i buy has AP 2.0 already i'm just adding second option FSD which is $3k. No?

Those numbers are already out of date.

You’re confusing autopilot hardware with the software packages.

Hardware (AP2, AP2.5, etc) is included on all cars built during the relevant period for each hardware generation.

The original owner then had a choice of software packages to add.

If the car has the “enhanced autopilot” package, it includes the lane keeping and radar cruise control features, auto lane changes, etc - what most people colloquially refer to as “autopilot”. That option originally cost $5,000.

IF you bought enhanced autopilot, you could then also select a second package, “full self driving” for an additional $3,000. This is the package that is required for the “free” upgrade to the new computer announced today. If the car you’re looking to buy did NOT have that option selected by the original owner, it now costs $5,000 to enable it after the fact. Here’s a screen shot from my owner portal a few minutes ago:

4DC5C2D3-B148-4C60-AD33-87FBCFE6C83B.png

Clear as mud, yes?

Those numbers are already out of date.

You’re confusing autopilot hardware with the software packages.

Hardware (AP2, AP2.5, etc) is included on all cars built during the relevant period for each hardware generation.

The original owner then had a choice of software packages to add.

If the car has the “enhanced autopilot” package, it includes the lane keeping and radar cruise control features, auto lane changes, etc - what most people colloquially refer to as “autopilot”. That option originally cost $5,000.

IF you bought enhanced autopilot, you could then also select a second package, “full self driving” for an additional $3,000. This is the package that is required for the “free” upgrade to the new computer announced today. If the car you’re looking to buy did NOT have that option selected by the original owner, it now costs $5,000 to enable it after the fact. Here’s a screen shot from my owner portal a few minutes ago:

View attachment 399734

Clear as mud, yes?

Ok so spending extra money on Enhanced auto pilot is completely useless correct? I can buy AP 2.0 enabled hardware lets say in 2017 model or Oct 2016 plus model and just pay Tesla $5k for FSD package? I guess is AP or EAP required for FSD package to be added? It seems EAP is waste of money when buying used at this point correct?

I think like 1% of people pre-paid for FSD up front as it was simply not even available and it was $5k so finding car like that is like looking for Unicorn car?

EAP will NOT get auto city driving and lights recognition, which is something i would want. Am i getting this right? Again thanks a bunch to everyone.

Also when did 3g got replaced with LTE antenna in tesla?

Last edited:
Looks like requirement is AutoPilot NOT Enhance AP, but since it need 8 cameras it means AP 2.0 or higher correct?
As far as hardware once one pay for FSD package Tesla swaps to new CPU they just showed. Is that right AP not EAP needed?

upload_2019-3-4_14-22-9-png.382968

What about cameras count? I was under impression 4 is not enough and it needs 8 total for FSD capability?

I'm talking about Tesla car having capability of CPU module hardware swap without retrofitting entire car with new hardware like cameras etc. Something Elon said they won't do (ap1) ?

Elon keeps saying AP2 or higher that they just swap CPU module and upgrade firmware via OTA. That's their definition of FSD upgrade.

My confusion is tesla does not list what AP version they sell on their website. Buying cat in the bag?

It says autopilot or enhanced auto pilot so autopilot means AP1 and enhanced auto pilot means AP2?

but then article telarati article says they changed the terminology but i think that's only applicable to newly purchased cars?

Thank you again.
Tesla doesn't make a car with 4 cameras. AP1 has 1 AP2+ has 8 nothing in between. Most ICE dealers have no clue. I've seen incorrect information on many listings.

FSD doesn't actually exist. You can "buy" it after purchase for any AP 2.0+ car but it won't give you any additional features over EAP.

Enhanced Autopilot = 2.0+

Autopilot = 1.0

It might be more correct to say that currently it doesn’t add additional features over EAP. I think it is likely the FSD option will eventually add features, I hope so anyway.

Reactions: Rango
Is Enhanced AP or just AP enough for FSD upgrade?

You still seem really confused by this all. Not that I blame you particularly, Tesla hasn't made it easy with all of the pricing and packaging changes.

From what I gather, you'd like to buy a used Tesla that has the ability to be upgraded to the new full self driving computer. Easy. Go to https://ev-cpo.com - this is a site that lists Tesla's used inventory in a much more searchable, friendly format. Under "All model S" on the left, select "used" and "USA" for used cars in the US. On the right, click the buttons for 2.0 and 2.5 under "autopilot hardware version". Then "apply current configuration" for your results. At the moment there are 11 cars.

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 9.19.25 AM.png

Cars that say "FSD" in the "AP Software" column have the Full Self Driving package already purchased, meaning as soon as Tesla starts retrofitting the new computer, you'll be able to upgrade at no additional cost.

Cars that say "EAP" in the "AP Software" column have the Enhanced Autopilot package, but NOT the Full Self Driving package. If you purchase a car with EAP, you can add the FSD package for an additional $5,000, at which point you'll be eligible for the computer upgrade when they start retrofitting them.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you everyone. I keep confusing HW2 with AP2, even tho both would accomplish what i want. From what i've also read EAP = AP2 as well. Thank you for that cpo website too. That helps. I think it may be wise to wait and see if Tesla will upgrade CPU to FSD module in their CPO fleet vehicles and see if prices remain relatively the same or jacked high up. Thoughts on that?

For private listings (cars.com,A.T) i see lot of them without camera in fenders so they're 90% of the time HW1, not upgradable to FSD module. There is lots of those. You guys are right those dealers have no clue what they're selling as they don't even show cameras close ups in pics.

Anyone with EAP running latest firmware. Did you lose any of the features or not?
Tesla is moving Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, Summon to FSD package forcing ppl to upgrade to FSD module? That's going to piss off lot of current owners with EAP functionality.

Anyone with EAP running latest firmware. Did you lose any of the features or not?
Tesla is moving Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, Summon to FSD package forcing ppl to upgrade to FSD module? That's going to piss off lot of current owners with EAP functionality.

They made it clear that people who bought Enhanced Autopilot would be grandfathered in and keep their access to navigate on autopilot and advanced summon. That is certainly the case for me on current firmware.

Thank you everyone. I keep confusing HW2 with AP2, even tho both would accomplish what i want. From what i've also read EAP = AP2 as well. Thank you for that cpo website too. That helps. I think it may be wise to wait and see if Tesla will upgrade CPU to FSD module in their CPO fleet vehicles and see if prices remain relatively the same or jacked high up. Thoughts on that?

For private listings (cars.com,A.T) i see lot of them without camera in fenders so they're 90% of the time HW1, not upgradable to FSD module. There is lots of those. You guys are right those dealers have no clue what they're selling as they don't even show cameras close ups in pics.

My 2016 Ap2 S has all the EAP functions including NoA and no confirmation lane changes with the latest software update. The question now is upgrade to HW3 know as FSD computer. AP2+ cars are going to need it for FSD software to function once the software is available via OTA. Tesla has said they will provide the FSD computer retrofit at no charge for cars that were purchased with FSD. Wondering when this will happen. Yesterday's presentation stated model S and X built in the last couple of months already have the FSD computer.

Is Enhanced AP or just AP enough for FSD upgrade?

On Tesla used car website, Autopilot means AP1, HW1 with 1 camera and not upgradable to FSD.

However, be aware that as of this year, there is another new kind of Autopilot that is standard and included in 2019 Model 3. This new "Autopilot" has HW3 as of 4/12/2019, 8 cameras and upgradable to FSD.

Original AP is HW1
New AP is HW3 as of 4/12/2019

But Tesla doesn't call them "original" nor "new" so we have to figure out which AP this is.

Yes, EAP is upgradable to FSD.

But if I were to buy a used one, I don't just buy one listed with EAP only. I would buy one listed as "Full Self-Driving Capability"

On Tesla used car website, that means FSD was paid and Tesla will do whatever it will take to get you FSD function such as swapping out the HW2.0, HW2.5... for HW3.

That way, you can skip an extra step of how to get Tesla to take your money for FSD after you prove that you are an owner an Enhanced AP.

But since you are interested in technology, I would skip buying a used one and just get a new Model 3 and you'll be all set because you'll get HW3 as of production date 4/12/2019.

Good luck!

My 2016 Ap2 S has all the EAP functions including NoA and no confirmation lane changes with the latest software update. The question now is upgrade to HW3 know as FSD computer. AP2+ cars are going to need it for FSD software to function once the software is available via OTA. Tesla has said they will provide the FSD computer retrofit at no charge for cars that were purchased with FSD. Wondering when this will happen. Yesterday's presentation stated model S and X built in the last couple of months already have the FSD computer.

So i'm assuming Automatic driving on city streets & Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs is NOT coming to EAP even tho you're keeping rest of the grandfathered features. You would have to upgrade to FSD package and have HW3=FSD module in order to get that? If that is the case i would assume everyone will have to dish out $5k to upgrade to that as perks of having it later on will be great IMO.

I'm just wondering if i should buy with EAP or without so save some money or simple just wait it out a year with hope Tesla will upgrade CPO fleet to FSD/HW3 module in order to have higher sales of those CPO fleets vehicles they have for sale. It would move those cars quicker then without FSD. Question is if they will do that and how much they up-charge for HW3 module upgrade? Thoughts?