Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using CCS chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gather from the chat around the web, that a CCS to Tesla adapter to do DC charging is not technically feasible. Is this really the case? And it is possible to plug a Type 2 cable into the AC part of the CCS socket (given that it shares part of the pinout and physical shape)?

Just trying to decide which of the many expensive cables I should be jumping for :)

There is no existing solution to buy that would allow you to use a CCS connector with a Tesla vehicle. At all. You can see from the picture that CCS Type-2 connectors have no AC pins.

ccs-combo-type2-1000.jpg

However, the good thing is that most stations with CCS also have a CHAdeMO connector. Tesla has an adapter for that. It's currently the next best thing after a Tesla Supercharger.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Miggy and Tension
Some have speculated that it is possible for Tesla to make the Model 3 with a CCS-2 connector that can take AC and DC from the central pins using their wall connector and Superchargers as well as taking DC from a CCS-2 charger on the larger 2 DC pins at the base. While I agree that it is technically possible, I will believe it when I see it. For North American CCS-1 it would be much more difficult because you would have to have two complete charge ports to support Superchargers and CCS-1.

• Helpful
Reactions: NickFie
If Tesla can make their new CCS complaint with there current plug then maybe it can support the Chedemo adaptor and be the best of both worlds. Currently Europe I believe requires CCS and China/Japan may go next gen chademo. Seems we are still a way off from a grobal standard.

Apparently Tesla last week registered some European VINs for model 3 so hopefully we will see the charge port in a few months.

the issue with america is that the whole map is plastered with superchargers. Australia seems to be quite keen to follow Europe as usual and build lots of CSS chargers. Tesla will not be popular anytime soon that we will get coverage via the supercharger network so we'll have to rely on chademo and CSS.

Anyway, I have just realized now that CSS is AC and DC together. Is that just so that they can be plugged into vehicles which only have AC charging or is there another reason for it? The charger looks too big to fit a standard Type 2 charge port so surely if the manufacturer readies their vehicle to accept a CSS charger then surely they might as well just support DC charging?

Not a big fan of chademo. Inferior charging speed based on old technology and superbulky for no good reason.

the issue with america is that the whole map is plastered with superchargers. Australia seems to be quite keen to follow Europe as usual and build lots of CSS chargers. Tesla will not be popular anytime soon that we will get coverage via the supercharger network so we'll have to rely on chademo and CSS.

Anyway, I have just realized now that CSS is AC and DC together. Is that just so that they can be plugged into vehicles which only have AC charging or is there another reason for it? The charger looks too big to fit a standard Type 2 charge port so surely if the manufacturer readies their vehicle to accept a CSS charger then surely they might as well just support DC charging?

Not a big fan of chademo. Inferior charging speed based on old technology and superbulky for no good reason.
CHAdeMO is now being developed by China and Japan as the new Asian standard including DC and AC charging.
Also the *new* standard will include the new super fast charging rates.

Don't forget, you basically never charge anywhere but your own house anyway.

OK, that's an outrageous comment, and I love my Tesla partly because of the great SC network, but really it's quite rare to need external charging. I can go to Newcastle (from Sydney), drive around for a few days, then drive home, all without charging externally.

Don't forget, you basically never charge anywhere but your own house anyway.

OK, that's an outrageous comment, and I love my Tesla partly because of the great SC network, but really it's quite rare to need external charging. I can go to Newcastle (from Sydney), drive around for a few days, then drive home, all without charging externally.

easy to say for someone with their own massive house in the sydney suburbs. Now while this is of course fairly true for people who don't live in apartments (tbh I live in one but I can easily just get a normal extension chord to the front driveway via my window hehe) it is about long range travel and you being from Sidney OBVIOUSLY do not have any issues finding charging stations, either third party of tesla superchargers. I would just like to ask you to consider that not everyone lives in Melbourne or Sidney.*
The Supercharger coverage for Australia is fairly pathetic at the moment.

*edit: I think most people actually DO live in Melbourne and Sidney but nevermind xD.

Sydney to Newcastle is a pretty short trip. I don't stop at superchargers making trips that short either. For me Seattle is 2 1/2 times the distance to Newcastle for you.

A very common trip in California is San Francisco to Los Angeles and that's a little less than the trip between Newcastle and Brisbane.

American public ground transportation is pretty poor if you're not driving. We have Amtrak which is a government owned rail service with limited routes and most of the equipment is getting pretty worn. And then there are buses which is mostly people who can't afford a car and absolutely need to get there. So Americans either fly or drive and not much else.

I gather from the chat around the web, that a CCS to Tesla adapter to do DC charging is not technically feasible. Is this really the case? And it is possible to plug a Type 2 cable into the AC part of the CCS socket (given that it shares part of the pinout and physical shape)?

Just trying to decide which of the many expensive cables I should be jumping for :)

There is no technical reason an adapter could not be created to allow a Tesla to charge from CCS.

The CCS standard as written doesn't permit any adapters, likely because it was created after CHAdeMO and Superchargers were in the field by a standards body dominated by car manufacturers that didn't have any cars using either of those standards.

Given the politics that appear to surround it, I have my doubts about the no adapters policy changing; I'm not sure what the consequences of Tesla releasing an adapter to use a standard that forbids adapters would be. It might have implications for insurance/liability and the like.

I have no doubt Tesla could easily manage the technical side and make a safe, reliable adapter. I'm not really sure they can beat the politics and make such an adapter legal for sale.

easy to say for someone with their own massive house in the sydney suburbs. Now while this is of course fairly true for people who don't live in apartments (tbh I live in one but I can easily just get a normal extension chord to the front driveway via my window hehe) it is about long range travel and you being from Sidney OBVIOUSLY do not have any issues finding charging stations, either third party of tesla superchargers. I would just like to ask you to consider that not everyone lives in Melbourne or Sidney.*
The Supercharger coverage for Australia is fairly pathetic at the moment.

*edit: I think most people actually DO live in Melbourne and Sidney but nevermind xD.
All good mate, I know what you mean :)
Australia definitely IS slack with getting a charging network going, and we don't all live in the big cities.

If you're in a remote part of the country then electric cars are a challenge, no two ways about it. Or if you need to drive into remote parts of the country.

I actually enjoy the challenge, trying to work out how far I can go, and how I can scrounge a charge, but that's definitely not for everyone.

Tesla's have the best network, because they can use Tesla's superchargers and destination chargers, plus can use adapters for pretty much all other charging types.

But trust me, if you can charge at home you'll never bother charging outside, it's just so much easier. Way easier (and cheaper) than going to the servo.

QLD sort of isn't too bad at the coast now. They built their own free Chademo/CSS network but unfortunately is 50kw only which I guess again demonstrates the blissful unawareness of this not being quite sufficient in the next few years. May have also something to do with the Chademo part hampering the CSS part....

Anyway, I guess you could argue that Melbourne to Cairns is covered with DC medium-speed charging.

Rural places are unfortunately missing out but I think that is more due to lack of demand. The average person inland wants to drive their V8 at 160kmh in the outback to shorten the journey somewhat. Nevermind that the road trains will start to hate you if you travel slower than they do (and the frequently go 120-130kmh) Not worth it for the odd EV to build a DC charger. Especially since most EVs just do not have the range to reliably drive out there. Most towns are about 300-400km apart so the car needs to be able to cover that.