Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USS Retrofit (Place your bets)

If you could bet if Tesla would retrofit USS, what would you bet? (Double your money)

• USS to be Retrofitted

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • No Retrofit, software & vision

Votes: 146 79.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No chance of a retrofit, you'd need two replacement bumpers for a start, and there's no guarantee the looms are there without removing said bumpers. Also, it would need coding too.

I'm more worried about Tesla only supplying bumpers without mounting points for USS to existing owners now! Maybe I need to stockpile some bumpers :(
Gossips say that all the uss preset is there for all vehicles and that just the uss themselves are missing.... meaning that a retrofit would actually be easier than expected.

You can rely on technology for assistance. But don't limit yourself to new tech
Screenshot_20221219_063949_Chrome.jpg

What about the reports that some kind of new sensor/tech package will be announced in mid-Jan 2023? Could that be some new style sensor package meant to replace USS?

I have a M3 2020 now, with radar/USS, and am close to pulling the trigger on a MYLR or MYP. I'm having a hard time thinking it will be fine with no USS on a $65k car that i plan to keep for many years.

Also curious on if a price cut is coming in Q1 also. My gut says there will not be the mass of people ordering due to the tax rebate, since its a half-baked plan that is way more restrictive than it was 3 years ago.

No chance of a retrofit, you'd need two replacement bumpers for a start, and there's no guarantee the looms are there without removing said bumpers. Also, it would need coding too.

I'm more worried about Tesla only supplying bumpers without mounting points for USS to existing owners now! Maybe I need to stockpile some bumpers :(

Well, the rear of my December Austin MY was off today for a tow hitch install.

The bumper has the markings on the back side for the Ultrasonic sensors - just not drilled.

Also, the harness on the frame appears to have a socket where the USS should connect to with a cap on the connector.

• Informative
Reactions: mylapore and Durzel

The bumper has the markings on the back side for the Ultrasonic sensors - just not drilled.

Also, the harness on the frame appears to have a socket where the USS should connect to with a cap on the connector.
Software is required to make USS work. It could be disabled by a software update. This would negate drilling and hooking up some sensors.

This means that actually only the sensor (USS) is missing and that all cables and preset is there?

This may be the case for cars soon after the withdrawal of USS but does not guarantee that car built since then are like that. (This was the case with the console USB data connections.)
My Model Y (got it on 29. Oct 22) in fact doesn't have the USB data in the middle console, only charge and had to install a small hub in the drawer, where I can connect USB Sticks.
Should I see that everything is preset there ... I would even pay to retrofit the USS.

Asked local dealer, he answered to "just wait for Tesla Vision to cover the functionalities and don't waste money on USS retrofitting, assuming that it would be possible".
I'm still convinced that this is possible and assume that Tesla didn't remove the preset for the USS in new cars ... they only remove the USS themselves, which means:
> 100 $ saved for each car
> no drilling on bumbers for each car
> no potential USS failures to be replaced (I had some "mad" USS on my last Volvo front bumber, for example, beeping like crazy when raining ...)

Anyone that has proof of the "preset" for the USS (that would allow retrofitting actually with low effort) ?

Anyone that has proof of the "preset" for the USS (that would allow retrofitting actually with low effort) ?
According to all tesla configuration, there is nothing special.
Just one extra option to change/apply.
Definitely possible, real question will Tesla do it or thirty service needed.