Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 is going to be HUGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My issue is not that the fonts are small, it’s that they’re smaller for no reason.

My display is now a nonsensical jumbled mess of icons and an enormous amount of low-contrast dead space. It’s a UX disaster.

View attachment 627557

I have a feeling that the FSD update will use that space in particular to show intersections and path predictions. I agree though that when not on AP, the area could be reduced.

Reactions: kpeng
I've had people suggest selling my car because I don't like how Tesla is screwing people over with FSD. Pretty firmly believe that if people think that's the rational "solution" to the problem, they're not worth engaging with anymore and I throw them on ignore.

Liking the product doesn't mean that you're not allowed to dislike aspects of the product or the company.

Yeah, imagine going through life seeing things only in black and white and refusing to even attempt to understand someone else's viewpoint.

Reactions: McFlurri

Imagine for a second that perhaps there are some more UI changes coming in the visualization like real time navigation directions and more information coming for those spaces. It's not for "no reason" when you don't know what the reasons are. Remember this isn't finished. Keep whining.

If and when useful features present themselves to justify gobbling up so much useful space then I’ll revisit my opinion.

For now I’ve got identical functionality with worse usability. I’m not selling the car or anything over it but I like it less.

As Tesla had been sitting on my seven grand for FSD for nearly three years now you’ll have to excuse me if I think there’s some imminent reason why they shrunk my maps and audio displays while creating a huge white void for...something.

While performance may be your only metric it’s not mine. My purchase is just as valid as yours and this is a clear regression for my use case.

Going to great lengths to mock those of us who don’t like a giant white void cramming currently-useful information into the edge of the display is a unique tack to take.

This is NOT meant to add gas (pun intended) to the flame. Just my $0.02:

I do not like the extra void around the car. But I also do recognize that it's used nicely when I'm on NoA (Highways).
The extra side spacing makes room for lanes, where the vertical spacing makes room for directions and it still looks alright when a card is up.

Reiterating: I do not like the void in city streets. But at the same time, it tells me that the City Streets Autopilot is just around the corner (some wishful thinking here, but ultimately my perception), so I'm ok with getting used to it now. It will be one less thing to get used to when it's finally out.

Reactions: HighZ and hgmichna
This is NOT meant to add gas (pun intended) to the flame. Just my $0.02:

I do not like the extra void around the car. But I also do recognize that it's used nicely when I'm on NoA (Highways).
The extra side spacing makes room for lanes, where the vertical spacing makes room for directions and it still looks alright when a card is up.

Reiterating: I do not like the void in city streets. But at the same time, it tells me that the City Streets Autopilot is just around the corner (some wishful thinking here, but ultimately my perception), so I'm ok with getting used to it now. It will be one less thing to get used to when it's finally out.

Except what if you didn't buy it and don't intend to? Suddenly all that white space seems pretty useless.

That is, as John McLain said in Die Hard, "Just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench."

Reactions: mtndrew1
Except what if you didn't buy it and don't intend to? Suddenly all that white space seems pretty useless.

That is, as John McLain said in Die Hard, "Just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench."

It should be dynamic and scale to the appropriate size when necessary. Even Elon said on Twitter they need a new user interface after this mess. If that’s not validation that this is less than ideal I don’t know what is.

Maybe Elon JUST NEEDS GLASSES TO DRIVE HIS PRIUS

D6146068-14D3-4FEA-9E4B-240BA8796218.jpeg

I noticed the dichotomy:

- Huge outcry over minor UI changes
- Everyone asking: Where are the Model S and Model X redesigns? They interiors are extremely long in the tooth.

Imagine for a second that perhaps there are some more UI changes coming in the visualization like real time navigation directions and more information coming for those spaces. It's not for "no reason" when you don't know what the reasons are. Remember this isn't finished. Keep whining.

Last edited:
Very nice, but too much white-space.

It was Christmas a few weeks ago right? Tesla needs to take some inspiration by filling all white space with animations, scrolling/blinking text, all sorts of radio buttons, and flashing indicators. Make the driver be WoW'd (so they keep their eyes off the road....?).

Every day should be Christmas when you drive your Tesla!

/sarcasm

I don't think it matters whether you bought FSD or not. The safety part will be active regardless. On highways, your car has a different display when compared to the city/residential areas. I expect the same to happen soon when City Streets is released. You can't self drive if you don't have it, but the full range of safety benefits (and a better UI real estate use) are there for you.

so the good news is nothing is set in stone .. if enough people tell Tesla is wrong it can get fixed. But you need to tell TESLA (tweet at Elon), not bicker about it here .. that's just tilting at windmills.

FWIW, I think they have five things wrong:

-- Unnecessary use of "gray on white" for stuff like PRND (for no reason)
-- Razor-thin regen/energy line .. the regen dots are all but invisible now
-- Gray battery indicator. Why? Was there any logic to switching from green to gray?
-- Speed font too small .. readability arguments aside, its should be bigger as its more important
-- Mess of speedometers/speed limit/AP indicators. The speed limit should be NEXT to the speedometer for instant checking, the AP indicators should be off to the right or speedometer/limit and stacked since they are functionally related.

so the good news is nothing is set in stone .. if enough people tell Tesla is wrong it can get fixed. But you need to tell TESLA (tweet at Elon), not bicker about it here .. that's just tilting at windmills.

FWIW, I think they have five things wrong:

-- Unnecessary use of "gray on white" for stuff like PRND (for no reason)
-- Razor-thin regen/energy line .. the regen dots are all but invisible now
-- Gray battery indicator. Why? Was there any logic to switching from green to gray?
-- Speed font too small .. readability arguments aside, its should be bigger as its more important
-- Mess of speedometers/speed limit/AP indicators. The speed limit should be NEXT to the speedometer for instant checking, the AP indicators should be off to the right or speedometer/limit and stacked since they are functionally related.

the grey battery makes sense. orange/yellow/red are warning colours and the battery doesnt have to warn you about anything unless its getting too low - in which case it still turns orange and then red.

Reactions: Koifim