Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm totally lost here, and starting to think I'm going crazy, or already there?.....what am I missing, please help me:

Old UI.....you touch the wiper stalk button, the wiper speed menu pops on the screen, you choose the setting.
New UI....you touch the wiper stalk button, the wiper speed menu pops on the screen, you choose the setting.

I never used the old wiper icon, it was too easy to miss while I'm driving.....always just touched the stalk. Not once in three years has it not brought up the wiper menu.
Completely agree with you here. Some of these complaints are a bit much IMO and there are simple, if not the same as previous versions, solutions to most of theses petty “issues.”

Once you hit the wipers stalk, you can choose the setting on the screen, how is this different than v10 and how is this a complaint on the “new version.” Take it off of auto, and select your wiper setting…simple.

Another is checking tire pressure, how often is that really necessary??? It’s not that difficult to get to it at all in v11 and I’m glad they removed it from the main screen, completely unnecessary.

The design is cleaner and more intuitive, they’re sure to make some tweaks and further improvements just like they’ve done with previous versions but resistance to change is a natural human instinct. You had everything in a place where you knew it was and now you have to relearn how to do things or make a conscious effort to understand why things were moved.

Remember, Tesla is constantly collecting data on the usage of these features and all. So it comes from research and one big experiment that we’re all part of. Let’s not forget, you bought a car online, use your phone as a key to it, can remote summon your car directly to you like a valet, record video to protect your car while gone, allow it to drive for you on the highway and so much more. Of course, nothing is perfect but it’s been getting better with every update, all of which are given for free. Its just getting use to some new ways of doing things, hence this thread and countless others.

Reactions: Benito1283
I believe “blow me” voice command works also (seriously) to increase fan by 1
Sigh.

Will "suck it" decrease fan by 1?

My problem is not increasing fan level or defrost level by voice. My problem is turning it down again. The voice command can not make out my command over the roar of the fan. That's an ongoing issue. The first time I needed emergency defrost (which was before V11) was before I had realized I didn't remember where the button for defrost was. So I tried voice command and it turned on. Driving was terrible that day and I couldn't get it off until I was off the highway and stopped at a light and could take off my glove and look around on the screen.

I still haven't had occasion to drive since V11 was installed (today's the day!!!) but I did test out stuff and voice command turned temperature to "low" instead of seat heater to low. I either didn't use the magic combination of words or it misheard me. That brought up the fan to high speed to cool off the car, and once again, it could not hear any of my commands over the roar of the fan.

WTF doesn't Tesla distribute a complete list of voice commands each time they are changed? They leave it to the users to find the 'easter eggs' except things like "open glove box" or controlling fan speeds aren't easter eggs. (The former didn't work when I bought the car and was added at some point but no update documentation mentioned it so I was still using the 2-step process on the screen.) Given so many safety/driving features are best handled by voice command but the wording is not always obvious, I think this might be another NHTSB complaint to force Tesla to document voice commands.

The safe driving of my vehicle should not be left to crowd sourced information updates.

This is important. Tesla could take a cue from the folks at Apple and Steve Jobs. When you change the GUI, make the changes incremental, completely intuitive, and don't remove accessibility that was present before. Add, don't take away, and make the experience a seamless transition where everything works as before, but better.

Along with the many gripes people have noted here, there is one that really irks me: Backing out of my garage, I need to have the cameras displayed to ensure I don't run over a bike or a toy or something, and I want to be able to close the garage door as soon as I'm out (but still backing up). On v10 that was no problem, the Homelink icon appears on the top, you touch, door comes down, keep backing up. Now, I have to stop, click the top Homelink button, that opens up a menu that turns off the cameras, and now I'm presented with another menu showing the homelink selection button, select that button, close the menu and then reopen the cameras app. Only then can I continue backing up.

Something as mundane as leaving the garage now becomes a lengthy maneuver requiring multiple clicks, swipes, starting to back up, stopping, selecting dialogues, re-engaging the cameras, and then continuing to back up. There's no excuse, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Agreed. This just reinforces that they just made changes for changes sake. Maybe the Management said the goal was to "de-clutter" the GUI. So the software guys just say, "hey we can remove these buttons and put them all in a single screen". They did not THINK about these changes and the impact they would have in real-world scenarios. Homelink, wipers, front/back defrost, removal of driver profile selection, removal of trip information to be visible at the same time as a map, etc...these changes indicate to me that people making these decisions did not sit down as a team and think about the implications and go over different scenarios. They just "de-cluttered" and "re-organized" the GUI without thinking. Very amateur and lame. We seriously need to get this functionality back.

After latest software update I can no longer show tire pressure or odometer readings. I used to get them to appear with the voice command show tire pressure or show odometer The response is, command not available. I cannot find anywhere else to show these items. I find the whole new configuration confusing and not very user-friendly

Reactions: ContrarianDC
After latest software update I can no longer show tire pressure or odometer readings. I used to get them to appear with the voice command show tire pressure or show odometer The response is, command not available. I cannot find anywhere else to show these items. I find the whole new configuration confusing and not very user-friendly

You can see it when you click the Car icon in the bottom left. It's no loner on the main screen.

Sigh.

Will "suck it" decrease fan by 1?

My problem is not increasing fan level or defrost level by voice. My problem is turning it down again. The voice command can not make out my command over the roar of the fan. That's an ongoing issue. The first time I needed emergency defrost (which was before V11) was before I had realized I didn't remember where the button for defrost was. So I tried voice command and it turned on. Driving was terrible that day and I couldn't get it off until I was off the highway and stopped at a light and could take off my glove and look around on the screen.

I still haven't had occasion to drive since V11 was installed (today's the day!!!) but I did test out stuff and voice command turned temperature to "low" instead of seat heater to low. I either didn't use the magic combination of words or it misheard me. That brought up the fan to high speed to cool off the car, and once again, it could not hear any of my commands over the roar of the fan.

WTF doesn't Tesla distribute a complete list of voice commands each time they are changed? They leave it to the users to find the 'easter eggs' except things like "open glove box" or controlling fan speeds aren't easter eggs. (The former didn't work when I bought the car and was added at some point but no update documentation mentioned it so I was still using the 2-step process on the screen.) Given so many safety/driving features are best handled by voice command but the wording is not always obvious, I think this might be another NHTSB complaint to force Tesla to document voice commands.

The safe driving of my vehicle should not be left to crowd sourced information updates.
Works well for me, really enjoyable experience ;-)

It would be great to have a complete list of voice commands. I’ve seen them published on various sites but would be best to have an “official” list from Tesla.

Attachments

• 5F454C83-48CD-408A-8969-D444C2FF978E.jpeg
    5F454C83-48CD-408A-8969-D444C2FF978E.jpeg
    566.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Funny
Reactions: follow.johnny
The w/s wiper change interface change is not a safety issue…IF automated wipers actually worked. ... [heated seats... defrost...]

Fair enough. Meanwhile, let's not crash.

The auto-features don't have to be 99% as long as there's a useable override.

I'm not as quick or dexterous at accurately tapping the screen while driving as they assume we all are, so multi-taps are challenging for me. Voice commands are unreliable, too.

Everything needs to be customizable.

Yes! Please, a setting or two to restore high contrast, larger text/map/backup camera and to restore all the glanceable info that was on the main screen and the map. Let us put driving features in the custom bar and place nav directions in the thoughtful places they were.

It’s that important? Lol?

Click the two buttons my dude. The world won’t end.

The world won't end from someone clicking two buttons. But if taking your eyes off the road and trying to find and click undersized buttons causes a fatal crash, the world will end for that person.

V11 makes the car harder to operate and therefore less safe. Safety should be more important than creating an interior that they can compare with a space ship.

And to add to the list of V11 bugs: Twice since installing V11 (in fact, two out of the three trips I've taken since installing V11) but never before that, the car has informed me that the autopilot cameras are unavailable. Maybe it's just coincidence, but 2 out of 3 and never before V11 is very suggestive. The first time, the cameras came back on-line the next day, and the second time it happened they came back on-line after only a couple of minutes.

Along with the many gripes people have noted here, there is one that really irks me: Backing out of my garage, I need to have the cameras displayed to ensure I don't run over a bike or a toy or something, and I want to be able to close the garage door as soon as I'm out (but still backing up). On v10 that was no problem, the Homelink icon appears on the top, you touch, door comes down, keep backing up. Now, I have to stop, click the top Homelink button, that opens up a menu that turns off the cameras, and now I'm presented with another menu showing the homelink selection button, select that button, close the menu and then reopen the cameras app. Only then can I continue backing up.

Something as mundane as leaving the garage now becomes a lengthy maneuver requiring multiple clicks, swipes, starting to back up, stopping, selecting dialogues, re-engaging the cameras, and then continuing to back up. There's no excuse, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Buckle up your seatbelt. Put car in reverse. Tap the new big homelink button on the bottom left of the screen, not the garage icon on top of screen.

Not only dumb, but dangerous!!! If it's raining and the auto-wiper fails to operate (sometimes happens!) I used to be able to turn them to manual with hardly a glance at the screen. Now it's buried in a menu??? What the actual f**k were they thinking?!?!?!?!?

Change for the sake of change is stupid and annoying. It's also dangerous to change something that works fine, that you have to re-learn while you're driving!!!
How long have you been an owner and you didn't even know about the button on the end of the stalk to use wipers and get the screen up??????

Last edited:
daniel said:
"Not only dumb, but dangerous!!! If it's raining and the auto-wiper fails to operate (sometimes happens!) I used to be able to turn them to manual with hardly a glance at the screen. Now it's buried in a menu??? What the actual f**k were they thinking?!?!?!?!?

Change for the sake of change is stupid and annoying. It's also dangerous to change something that works fine, that you have to re-learn while you're driving!!!"

I strongly agree. Got a neighbor picking up a MS next week and I'm really feeling like I need to do some pre pickup lessons so he isn't caught in a fogged up car. Yea it's easy to say they should read the manual prior but ... some things are not supposed to be that hard. This will be his first Tesla.

This buried crap isn't good and voice command solutions are not intuitive. Nor is an unpublished set of vocal commands. The wipers are another thing. How is someone new suppose to keep his eyes on the road and use yoke buttons to change wiper speeds? Again easy if you know the appropriate voice command to increase the wiper speed.

• Funny
Reactions: TexasTezla
I can answer this easily. I was driving, the auto wipers are trash so they decided not to wipe at all, rain was increasing in intensity, I was on a curvy road, and I needed to change the wipers to a manual setting. It was absurd on the previous version, but the touch targets were easily double the size they are now. Having to take your eyes off the road to change the wiper speed is ridiculous, and they made it WORSE somehow.

Excluding the off function, the touch targets for the quick wiper controls (the options that pop up when you click the button on the end of the turn signal stalk) are identical in size to the previous version.

V11 adds new wiper buttons to the main car settings page. These new controls are 70% larger than the previous wiper controls in the disappearing card.

Last edited:
Buckle up your seatbelt. Put car in reverse. Tap the new big homelink button on the bottom left of the screen, not the garage icon on top of screen.
If you tap the home link button while on reverse, the camera disappears, only to be replaced by the Car Menu, where the home link screen asks you to press again, and only then does it activate. Does it activate for you automatically from the screen showing the backup camera while in reverse??