Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 quick controls toggle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here we are - months later. The new interface was going to be fixed - but nothing showed up.
Still crippled as the day it was released.

On top of hiding profiles and heated seats - I found several more daily annoyances. One is the garage opener - which is now no longer always visible. So when my garage door is closing and the sensor malfunctions and I have to quickly hit the button again - I simply can't. By the time I click around to get to it I end up with total mess.
Then there is the whole radio/music popup. Used to be you can have a small band with radio stations at the bottom of the map - and it was great. Now you can't. You can either have nothing visible - which totally sucks, or you have to display it and cover half the map. This is the smallest it can be - it can either cover half the map or the whole map. It cannot be reduced to a band at the bottom any longer. How is that an improvement is beyond me.

So here we are - months later. The new interface was going to be fixed - but nothing showed up.
Still crippled as the day it was released.

On top of hiding profiles and heated seats - I found several more daily annoyances. One is the garage opener - which is now no longer always visible. So when my garage door is closing and the sensor malfunctions and I have to quickly hit the button again - I simply can't. By the time I click around to get to it I end up with total mess.
Then there is the whole radio/music popup. Used to be you can have a small band with radio stations at the bottom of the map - and it was great. Now you can't. You can either have nothing visible - which totally sucks, or you have to display it and cover half the map. This is the smallest it can be - it can either cover half the map or the whole map. It cannot be reduced to a band at the bottom any longer. How is that an improvement is beyond me.
You are clearly have no idea what are you talking about.

Reactions: Candleflame
Then there is the whole radio/music popup. Used to be you can have a small band with radio stations at the bottom of the map - and it was great. Now you can't. You can either have nothing visible - which totally sucks, or you have to display it and cover half the map. This is the smallest it can be - it can either cover half the map or the whole map. It cannot be reduced to a band at the bottom any longer.

See pic below, the circled item. When this is on, as pictured with a slightly darker background, the audio screen toggles between half-screen and full-screen.

When off (slightly darker background goes away) the audio screen toggles between full screen and one line along the bottom. I think this is the option you are looking for.

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 10.17.00 AM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: CarlThompson
See pic below, the circled item. When this is on, as pictured with a slightly darker background, the audio screen toggles between half-screen and full-screen.

When off (slightly darker background goes away) the audio screen toggles between full screen and one line along the bottom. I think this is the option you are looking for.

View attachment 766636
Thanks - I'll try that. I thought I tried everything I saw on the screen - but must have missed this.
If I couldn't find it - not exactly intuitive. :)

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Actually I read here on one of the forums that in China a recent update returned the driver profile, cell connectivity indicator, dashcam and sentry mode icons to the top of the map. So that would be a small improvement if true.
I got that update yesterday. But (from notatesla):

"The Driver Profiles and Sentry Mode icons will appear while the car is in Park. Once the vehicle is in Drive then the icons disappear from the status bar and will only appear in the Controls menu.

The cellular data icon will only appear in the status bar if the car doesn't have a data connection, while the Wi-Fi icon will appear in the status bar only when the car is actively connected to a Wi-Fi access point."

Cell strength info is useful while driving because sometimes 1 bar causes a connection failure for streaming.

I got that update yesterday. But (from notatesla):

"The Driver Profiles and Sentry Mode icons will appear while the car is in Park. Once the vehicle is in Drive then the icons disappear from the status bar and will only appear in the Controls menu.

The cellular data icon will only appear in the status bar if the car doesn't have a data connection, while the Wi-Fi icon will appear in the status bar only when the car is actively connected to a Wi-Fi access point."

Cell strength info is useful while driving because sometimes 1 bar causes a connection failure for streaming.

*facepalm*

Thanks for the info. Boy Tesla can't get this right can they? What the hell is their problem?? I don't understand why they want to hide these status indicators. What's next, "Let's hide the speedometer unless the car is traveling over the speed limit"?

*flame suit on* - because you don't need that information when you drive.

Changing the seat heaters is something you need when you drive for example. Not changing a wifi connection, nor changing driver profile which should have happened before you leave for your drive.

Clearly Tesla are pushing towards limiting the displayed information to what's relevant during a drive to the driver. You might not like it but they have a reason, and it's mainly security I believe. IMO they went too far, and they should fix that, but don't expect everything to be on screen.

Changing the seat heaters is something you need when you drive for example. Not changing a wifi connection, nor changing driver profile which should have happened before you leave for your drive.

Clearly Tesla are pushing towards limiting the displayed information to what's relevant during a drive to the driver. You might not like it but they have a reason, and it's mainly security I believe. IMO they went too far, and they should fix that, but don't expect everything to be on screen.
See comment above. If your stream source cuts out, and you see you are down to 1-2 bars, you stop trying to fuss with it and do something else for audio source.

If it cuts out and you have no idea your connection is marginal, you could start to dig around and see what's going, taking minutes to figure it out. Not cool, frustrating, at least, and the solution is so easy, was great before.

Do they literally not actually drive these cars in a range of user scenarios? I have about 80% of my daily around town and long distance driving with 0-2 bars LTE (only know this from v10). To not think about this with UI changes is less than ideal.

It is weird. Except on trips, I don't need the map, and the engineers are concerned about covering a few square millimeters of it up in the corner.

A stopgap is to leave the Controls page up, but it goes away when you choose other options.

They've got to come to their senses soon.

I was a consultant and the software guys we're telling me of their plans for the user interface for some product. It was April 1st, and I said, "Oh I see. This is an April fool's joke!" It wasn't.

>The cellular data icon will only appear in the status bar if the car doesn't have a data connection ...

Well, today I saw it in the status bar even when there were four bars of coverage. It appeared and disappeared seemingly at random, it seemed. Right after I took this out-of-focus picture (one bar) it disappeared (in Drive, not moving):

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 1.32.59 PM.jpg

They are limiting the displayed information to what they think is relevant during a drive to the driver.

My spouse and I are nearly the same height and have very slightly different seat settings. Occasionally I'll get in and the car has selected the wrong profile but I won't notice until I've started down the street. Previously I would think "seat's not quite right", glance at the screen, see their name, and change the setting. Now Tesla has made that more difficult (and therefore more dangerous.)

Yes, ideally I would notice and adjust before I start moving. People are imperfect. I get that Tesla just cares about moving towards self driving cars and giving us video games to play while the car drives itself. That is not at all what I'm interested in and I miss the car I had.

They are limiting the displayed information to what they think is relevant during a drive to the driver.

My spouse and I are nearly the same height and have very slightly different seat settings. Occasionally I'll get in and the car has selected the wrong profile but I won't notice until I've started down the street. Previously I would think "seat's not quite right", glance at the screen, see their name, and change the setting. Now Tesla has made that more difficult (and therefore more dangerous.)

Yes, ideally I would notice and adjust before I start moving. People are imperfect. I get that Tesla just cares about moving towards self driving cars and giving us video games to play while the car drives itself. That is not at all what I'm interested in and I miss the car I had.
Can we dial down with everything dangerous rhetoric. It’s kind of silly lately. Everything Tesla doesn’t not do to someone’s liking is dangerous somehow. Just click on the car icon when you get in and boom you know instantly what profile the car is in. Here danger is averted.